Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Bernie-Faulk UNhappy

This morning on his radio show, Bernie dropped what I'm certain will come to be an ongoing drama amongst Rams fans.

Bernie said that he knows for a fact that the reason Faulk is skipping-out on mini-camp has nothing to do with his knee. He says Faulk and Linehan had some form of falling-out, and he doesn't believe Faulk wants to play for the Rams this season any longer. He was adamant that he did not know (or wouldn't say) what the falling-out was about. I am sure we as Rams fans can read between the lines, however (role / usage, etc.)

He also was quick to point-out that Faulk has lost quite a bit. He's had knee surgeries nearly every off-season, and is no longer a passing threat out of the backfield. His longest play of that sort last season was 18 yards. His longest used to be 80+ yards in the good years. He can't do what he used to do, and now (to his credit) has adjusted to be more of an inside runner. (Again, this is all Bernie - not me).

Also, the word is that Faulk and S. Jackson are "not very tight" at all, really. According to one of Bernie's guest panelists, the controversial Charlie Tuna (who is close friends with Faulk), Jackson thinks he is better than he is. Also, Tuna ripped Jackson for bringing his sister into things. Don't know if this is old news, since I've been busy and away from this board, but apparently Jackson fired his agent (Rocky Arceneaux, who is also Faulk's agent) because his sister is going to play that role and manage his career.

Finally, he said to watch the relationship between Linehan and Haslett this season. There is a big chance there will be some eruptions and power struggle, and it could very well be very interesting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Bernie's Board--

Linehan told me that he really liked Cutler and was tempted to take him. But when the time came to make a decision, he believed it was important to try to win now by addressing immediate needs rather than take a QB who might need time to develop. And he said he didn't want to draft Cutler out of fear that Cutler would become a great QB. He wanted to do what was best for the team right now.

I have no reason to believe that he was blocked by management. I believe they were all on the same page.

-B

-----------------------------
    I don't know how much Fisk has left -- if anything.
    But he fits a necessary profile.
    A DT who can man the nose in a 3-4 when they shift.

--B

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Bernie-Faulk UNhappy

Man, that's just bad news on top of bad news.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Faulk is mad. Plain and simple.

This is Jackson's team now, not Faulks. Faulk needs to get over it.
    RamsFan16

LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

Just like Jackson, a young man that shown no respect where respect is deserved.

Marshall Im sure knows his role would be diminished cmon now the guy was the first person to admit he was not what he used to be. (Best Damn Sports Show/Vegas 04 preseason)He is probably having issues giving up the game, sure, but we have no idea what is going on.

Remeber once upon a time it was Martz who drove Warner outta Rams land? Soon as Martz said he was going to the Lions him and Warner talked about a possible reunion.

Bernie should go to hollywood and write for the Soaps he knows how to create drama.
    Last edited by LaRamsFanLongTime; -06-09-2006 at 04:43 PM.
    LET'S GO DODGERS

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

There always seems to be some sort of drama going on this time of year with the Rams, why should 2006 be any different?

RamWraith is offline Registered User

I am sorry....

but I firmly believe that football is a team sport and one bad apple will ruin a peck. If Faulk is going to act in any way that he is going to be a determinant team chemistry, I say Faulk him!!

As much as I like Faulk...nothing is above the team.

GameTime is offline Registered User

I personally dont put much stock in anything that Bernie says. Unless I see "quotes" its all speculation and heresay.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I am well known as potentially the biggest faulk supporter on the board. I also have no great love for bernie.

I will however say this. Seems odd that faulk has his agent call linehan to say that faulk wont be attending minicamp. You would think that faulk would pick up the phone himself and make the call. Of course, i could be reading WAY too much into that little data point, but it seems to me to be a matter of common courtesy to tell your boss personally that you wont be at work for whatever reason, rather than having someone else call in on your behalf. Can Faulk get away with that type of thing? Sure. But it does increase in my mind the possibility that there is some truth to the story.

I really hope that he is back with us for another year.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

This has been confirmed by Howard Balzer.

I personally dont know what to think other than a new broom sweaps clean

GameTime is offline Registered User

I dont doubt that there is some truth to the fact that Faulk is unhappy. I just think the reasons are nothing more than one person making a comment to Balzer or Bernie and them running with the story like it is a huge deal.

I personally feel that if he is not at camp even though he is hurt; he is not that interested in playing for the team. Why, I dont know.

As far as his charity event. It is nothing more than a 2 hour comedy event with Tommy Davidson at 10p.m. If he wanted to be at camp, he could.

I love Faulk, but if he is not interested thats fine. if his feelings are hurt over something thats fine. We have somebody who is much more productive at his position.

I also think that it would help Jackson, if Faulk werent around. He has a legend hanging over him. I know that Faulk could be a mentor and all of that, but thats what coaches are for.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

From Bernie

Faulk doesn't want to be a Ram.
    I wish he and his agent would come clean and state their intentions.
    The sore-knee thing is just a cover.

--B
    RamsFan16

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

If Faulk really no longer wants to be a Ram, why put up a front through his agent? Doesn't make much sense.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RF16
    I'm sure Faulk knows that, seeing as how he's the one who willingly handed the job over to Jackson.

All of this is just speculation [Howard made sure to point that out] and of course Bernie gives no solid reasons to back it up, but Faulk's the type of guy who personally lets his coach know what's going on. Still, the fact that he used his agent to contact the coach shouldn't put him in a bad light, as I'm sure many players go that route anyway.

It also seems like activities he's busy with would normally be scheduled around minicamp, but if his knee's truly bothering him enough to be unable to run, then that's no big deal. Faulk has never made an official announcement or statement (that I can remember) to say whether he is or is not going to play one more year. Who knows, maybe that knee is taking a lot longer than usual to recover and as a newlywed he's still thinking of retirement as a very real possibility. I'm sure there are other factors weighing in just as much as a supposed rift with Linehan over playing time. I really can't blame him when all signs pointed to the coaching staff using him in a third down role, but then Fisher is brought in (a very capable third down back) and the Rams take a look at Moe Williams. Both of those guys have been 2nd string running backs in their careers and Faulk may be "reading between the lines" as well.

But then again, as GC says, we may be reading WAY too much into this. Bernie's already getting ready to jump on anything that might happen between Linehan and Haslett and twisting it out of proportion.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    Bernie said that he knows for a fact that the reason Faulk is skipping-out on mini-camp has nothing to do with his knee. He says Faulk and Linehan had some form of falling-out, and he doesn't believe Faulk wants to play for the Rams this season any longer. He was adamant that he did not know (or wouldn't say) what the falling-out was about. I am sure we as Rams fans can read between the lines, however (role / usage, etc.)
    Well, the Rams have added Tony Fisher, who isn't exactly just a warm body. There were also reports about interest in Moe Williams. So we've speculated about Linehan wanting to go with a rotation like he had in Minnesota, and if that's the case, it means fewer touches for Marshall. Plus, Marshall hasn't exactly been a content boy scout his entire career either.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

I don't know that we need Faulk on the team anymore. It could stun the growth of Jackson by having him as a backup IMO. I do think that Jackson is young and has a lot left to learn as far as being a team player. I don't like the fact that he hung a sign above his locker saying give me the ball. We had a high-octane offense before him with a lot of great veterans in Bruce, Holt, and Faulk. Faulk did not really take any carries away from Jackson last year he hardly even touched the ball. I don't ever recall Faulk, Bruce, or Holt crying about getting the ball publicly, even when Proehl and Hakim were sharing in the touches. I really like the way Bruce conducted himself during those years because he was the most tenured and could have had a lot more touches on another team. Part of Faulks unhappiness with Jackson could be his cocky me first attitude. I don't remember the last Ram offensive starter that complained so much before ever solidifying himself as a great player on the field. I don't like the fact that Jackson tried blaming Martz for all his problems it may or may not have been but the right thing to do is keep your mouth shut and let your play on the field do the talking. Jackson needs to learn a lot about the word T-E-A-M. He could use Bruce or Holt as a mentor. Right now the media is jumping on the Jackson bandwagon and throwing Faulk under the bus. Jackson is the new hot commodity and Faulk is no longer as good as he once was. That is why we hear them talking about Faulk and not Jackson in a negative way. I don't ever remember Faulk in a Rams uniform complaining about not getting the ball or the way the coaches used him he was a team player when he was the starter. I do think the time has come that they can move on without Faulk. I just hope that Jackson backs up all the complaining/talk he has been doing on the field. Hopefully Jackson matures in a hurry and learns the team first attitude that made our GSOT years offense great.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -06-09-2006 at 07:47 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast