Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Bernie: Give Bradford Plenty Of Reps

Miklasz: Give Bradford plenty of reps

Bernie Miklasz | Posted: Saturday, August 7, 2010

Sam Bradford put on an impressive show during Friday's practice at Rams Park. As expected, the Rams' franchise quarterback is having his share of confused, rookie moments. But his talent is obvious. And it's clear that he learns fast and is making progress.

But this is puzzling: Bradford is taking about the same number of practice snaps as the two other young quarterbacks in camp, Keith Null and Thaddeus Lewis. With all due respect to Null and Lewis, they weren't the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, and they weren't given a contract worth a guaranteed $50 million.

Bradford was clearly brought here for a reason. He's the future. I understand that he has to show he's worthy of starting immediately, ahead of A.J. Feeley. Bradford has to earn the No. 1 job. The gig shouldn't be handed to Bradford if he performs poorly. I get it.

But given all that's at stake for coach Steve Spagnuolo and the entire franchise, this is unusual. I'm surprised the coaches aren't doing everything they can to give Bradford as many reps as possible. I don't see the logic of limiting Bradford. He certainly should be getting more reps than Null or Lewis. It make no sense to treat Bradford as if he's just another guy in camp. Because we know that he's much more than that. And every snap that Bradford doesn't take is a snap that could be advancing his development.

It's been nice to see so many Oklahoma fans showing up at Rams Park, wearing their OU garb, to watch Bradford. The Sooner contingent is so strong, the Rams will be showing their preseason games in Oklahoma. And Rams executive VP Kevin Demoff tells us that that OU fans are buying tickets to regular-season Rams home games. ... According to Demoff, the total attendance at the Rams' open practice sessions is up 300 percent so far from last summer. ... And Demoff says season-ticket renewals are up by at least 2,000 from last year.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Bernie: Give Bradford Plenty Of Reps

The Sooner contingent is so strong, the Rams will be showing their preseason games in Oklahoma.
    You mean the NFL in it's infinite wisdom hasn't declared Oklahoma's preseason TV rights as belonging to the Choakland Faiders like they did with Los Angeles?? Oh, I guess Oklahoma is outside of the Faiders 700 mile exclusivity radius for broadcating live preseason football. Mutter, mutter.....

BM_Face is online now Registered User

Can't we just ban all Bernie drivel? That guy is a waste of space.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    You mean the NFL in it's infinite wisdom hasn't declared Oklahoma's preseason TV rights as belonging to the Choakland Faiders like they did with Los Angeles?? Oh, I guess Oklahoma is outside of the Faiders 700 mile exclusivity radius for broadcating live preseason football. Mutter, mutter.....
    as a fellow ca sports fan, i got an absolute kick out of this. LOL

gaw... Faiders get so much broadcasting preference here its become comical.

The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User

Bernie is a dope.

Bradford is doing just fine. The last thing you want to do as a coach is take a guy, put him on a pedestal, and proclaim him king of the franchise. You got to treat everyone equally, put them through the same trials, so that the team will accept him. It also helps Bradford acclimate, instead of throwing a ton of responsibility on his shoulders. He will start getting more reps eventually once he earns it.

Molotov is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Miklasz: Give Bradford plenty of reps

Bernie Miklasz | Posted: Saturday, August 7, 2010

But given all that's at stake for coach Steve Spagnuolo and the entire franchise, this is unusual. I'm surprised the coaches aren't doing everything they can to give Bradford as many reps as possible.
    Oh no, here goes Bernie again. This guy makes a living trying to shock us with insightful perspectives on how the local teams are blowing it.

I'll tell you something unusual. I find it unusual that Bernie still has a job.

The Rams could give Bradford as many reps as possible, I suppose. Wouldn't that mean EVERY snap? Is that what Bernie is advocating? Actually, we have no idea what he is advocating, because each and every one of his articles are ambiguous attempts at articulation that have absolutely no value to the educated fan.

thoey is offline Registered User

For the first time in my life, and I HATE to say this, I a...g...r...e...e... with Bernie?

Look, we all know that it is not "if" but "when" Sam takes over. So, if that is the case, then the percentages shouldn't be Feeley 55%, Sam and the rest 15% each. It should be more like Feeley and Sam 40% each, and the other two 10% a piece. Basically enough time to give the starters a break.

The more practice Sam gets, the more ready he will be when the "when" happens.
    This space for rent...

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Yeah well what if Sam and AJ go down?

These other guys might not start but they need the reps too

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Yeah well what if Sam and AJ go down?

These other guys might not start but they need the reps too
    Exactly. It's a team training camp, and everyone should get an equal opportunity to prove themselves. This is that time to do that. Later on in the pre-season, I can understand the reps shifting to those who deserve them more, but this is THE evaluation period for teams. Everyone was brought into camp for a reason, so its only fair they at least have a shot to show the coaches what they can do.

Just have some patience, Bernie. The sole reason of training camp isn't just to get Sam Bradford ready to play. There are a few other players on the team too. ( sheesh )

ramhard is offline Registered User

Bradford is getting extra reps - Bernie duh!

Bernie ignores the facts that were posted in his own paper:

"Bradford had over 20 reps while all the other quarterbacks received 15 or less. Spagnuolo said that was by design and some rollout plays were called specifically for Bradford because it's something he did well at Oklahoma."

They are doing exactly right, spreading out reps - remember this guy just had shoulder surgery - you don't want to burn him out in early practice - and giving him more 'live' time anyone else (including AJ).

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Imagine, 1999, rams training camp. Bernie "the idiot": Guys give all the reps to Trent Green and nobody else, Dick Vermiel: alright!

First game, Green -> bye bye whole season. Warner -> never threw the ball because all the reps went elsewhere....

Get the point Bernie? Shhh please.

general counsel is offline Registered User

If bernie's point is that bradford should be getting a lot more reps than thadeus lewis and keith noll (which is all he is saying here) than i agree completely. Bernie is not saying that bradford should be taking reps away from feely.

Even if bradford is getting a few more reps than lewis and noll, why shouldnt he be getting A LOT more reps than those two combined?

I dont agree with a lot of what bernie writes, but in this case, i think some people are attacking him without reading what he actually wrote. Please explain to me what actual benefit any ram fans thinks there is to giving thadeus lewis practice reps. If thadeus lewis is on the field in a regular season game, we are looking at another 1-15 season.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

RealRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by General Counsel View Post
    If Bernie's point is that Bradford should be getting a lot more reps than Thadeus Lewis and Keith Noll (which is all he is saying here) than I agree completely. Bernie is not saying that Bradford should be taking reps away from Feely.

Even if Bradford is getting a few more reps than Lewis and Noll, why shouldn't he be getting A LOT more reps than those two combined?

I dont agree with a lot of what Bernie writes, but in this case, I think some people are attacking him without reading what he actually wrote. Please explain to me what actual benefit any ram fans thinks there is to giving Thadeus Lewis practice reps. If Thadeus Lewis is on the field in a regular season game, we are looking at another 1-15 season.

Ramming speed to all

General Counsel
    Oh, it's just a ClanRam anti Bernie M. diss / chant that we've adopted for some time now. Not sure if AV was the instigator.

Hey GC, good to see you amigo!

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Even if bradford is getting a few more reps than lewis and noll, why shouldnt he be getting A LOT more reps than those two combined?
    general counsel
    Because Null and Lewis need reps to see who will win the 3rd spot, and also so that they aren't completely useless if they have to play because they didn't get any reps. Bradford's reps will increase, but they have to develop all the quarterbacks, not just one and assume last year won't happen again. You can't ignore 3rd string and just hope to never use it, and with only so many reps to go around, you can't leave them hanging.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    If bernie's point is that bradford should be getting a lot more reps than thadeus lewis and keith noll (which is all he is saying here) than i agree completely. Bernie is not saying that bradford should be taking reps away from feely.

I dont agree with a lot of what bernie writes, but in this case, i think some people are attacking him without reading what he actually wrote. Please explain to me what actual benefit any ram fans thinks there is to giving thadeus lewis practice reps. If thadeus lewis is on the field in a regular season game, we are looking at another 1-15 season.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

And if Thaddeus Lewis is on the field after having hardly any reps at all, we could be looking at a winless season. Im not saying that we shouldnt be giving Bradford reps obviously, and he should be having more than Lewis and Null, but if we dont give Null and Lewis enough reps we could be in trouble, especially considering how many QBs we have had injured in the past few years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast