Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Bernie: Give Bradford Plenty Of Reps

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post

Even if bradford is getting a few more reps than lewis and noll, why shouldnt he be getting A LOT more reps than those two combined?

I dont agree with a lot of what bernie writes, but in this case, i think some people are attacking him without reading what he actually wrote. Please explain to me what actual benefit any ram fans thinks there is to giving thadeus lewis practice reps. If thadeus lewis is on the field in a regular season game, we are looking at another 1-15 season.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I agree with you GC but Lewis still deserves a chance to prove if he's any good. One never knows when there's a diamond in the rough.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I tend to agree with GC; I think a lot of people are jumping on Bernie because it's Bernie, rather than because of what he wrote. I say that because of some of the responses that seem to paint Bernie's argument as something it isn't.

He isn't suggesting the Rams place Bradford on a pedestal and proclaim him the man without him having to prove it. He isn't saying Bradford should be taking every single snap while the other quarterbacks -specficially Null and Lewis - take zero. He's saying that Bradford, currently in competition to be this team's starting quarterback, should be taking more practice reps than the two guys fighting for the #3 job. Is anyone really going to argue that his suggestion, when phrased in that manner, is ridiculous?

There are some people who argued that everyone needs to be treated equally in camp or get equal camp opportunities. I guess that means you want to see Null and Lewis taking the same number of first team reps as Feeley and Bradford, right? Because that's what equal opportunity would be, but I think you'd struggle to find a team who runs their training camp in that manner. Training camp is not an equal opportunity experience. There is a pecking order, and while Null and Lewis would certainly benefit from as many reps as possible, so would the guys who actually have a much better chance of seeing the field every Sunday.

GC is absolutely right in this regard - if this team has to turn to Thadeus Lewis to be its quarterback in the regular season, then it's not going to be good, and I sincerely doubt that a higher percentage of practice reps would make a difference in that scenario. The argument isn't that Null or Lewis don't deserve any reps, but that Bradford should get more. Considering he's in competition to be this team's opening day starter while Null and Lewis will not see the field this season (barring major catastrophe), I think that's a pretty reasonable argument.

Quote Originally Posted by ramhard View Post
    Bernie ignores the facts that were posted in his own paper:
    Those numbers were from the scrimmage. Bernie's article specifically refers to practice reps.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Isn't it a bit early to be getting on the coaching staff for things like this?

As we get closer to the regular season, if Bradford is not getting a larger share of practice reps, then we can raise an eyebrow.

Right now? Not too worried about this sort of thing.

Also, I have to ask... does the press have access to ALL the practices? If the answer is no, then perhaps we don't even have a full picture of what is going on.

general counsel is offline Registered User

There is simply no amount of reps that is going to make thadeus lewis a viable option as a rookie nfl qb. Third string qb is pure developmental. The rams have zero chance of success with a third string qb in the game. In that sense, you can ignore it because i think we are far better served with accelerating bradfords development than worrying about the development of lewis or null. I didnt say (and neither did bernie) that null and lewis should get zero reps, only that bradford should get A LOT more reps than the other two, not just a few more. It simply doesnt make sense to put the development of the third string qb on comporable footing as the development of bradford.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

According to Brian Stull's Twitter page, Bradford is starting to get more reps:

Per Spags, Bradford previously getting about 31% of snaps prior, scrimmage had 45%, looks to be a continual increase for him.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

This isn't high school where a student can cram for a final in, say, Spanish, and not worry that a few months down the road he won't be able to ask for directions on vacation because the material was not fully understood, practiced, & assimilated into long term memory. The best way,imo, to ensure that doesn't happen is surely to break the material down into manageable sections physically & mentally. I'd trust in the coaches over Bernie to know how many reps Sam needs to prep both his mind and body .

The idea that The Rams are somehow retarding Sam's development because of some desire to give all the kiddies a chance to play seems unlikely to me.

Look what happened to Sanchez last year; first few games looked good then DCs starting throwing stuff at him that he couldn't handle & nearly got killed.And look at how well Sam was doing in the first few practices when he was only asked to do the basics he had been taught in the OTAs. Then he struggled a bit as he was asked to do more complex stuff. This was followed by another breakthrough; the Friday practice preceding the scrimmage and the scrimmage itself. it's a classic cycle of peaks and valleys. The more of those valleys that can be got through in the relatively safe environment of practice, the better off he'll be in the long run.

And how does Bernie know that Bradford and Lewis are working at the same pace? The number of reps isn't the best yardstick, imo. Maybe Lewis is working on basic arithmetic while Sam is getting stuck into advanced calculus. Bernie doesn't even attend TC as far as I know; never heard him ask a question at a press conference, anyway, and I doubly-doubt that he is astute enough about NFL football to know what is being worked on during any given rep.

I think this is a classic case of premature exasperation on Bernie's part. He's all lathered up over a sexy QB controversy if Sam isn't the starter by opening day & got a little over-excited about nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I think this is a classic case of premature exasperation on Bernie's part. He's all lathered up over a sexy QB controversy if Sam isn't the starter by opening day & got a little over-excited about nothing.
    Next time, he should think about baseball.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12