Bernie on Haslett

The NFL Network reports that Jim Haslett has it in his contract that heíll be retained as HC of the Rams for 2009 as long as the team goes at least 6-6 in the final 12 games. I can confirm that itís true. This doesn't mean that Haslett has to go 6-6 to stay; ownership could keep him if they see enough that they like, no matter what the record is. If the team is sold, the contract won't rollover.
    Don't diss me, I'm the messenger, but:

* Haslett defended Incognito after the game... said while No. 68 has to be smarter than that, he said all Icognito did was curse, and according to Haslett, if you're gonna penalize a player for cursing, then you'd be throwing flags all day long.

* Incognito said it happened because the ref saw him yapping (towards the Redskins) and when Steven Jackson shoved Incognito to get him into the huddle, the ref threw the flag. He thinks the ref reacted to Jackson shoving him ... gave him an excuse to throw the flag. (In other words -- ref sees Jackson trying to restrain Incognito, it means Incognito is out of control, so flag him).

I think this is nonsense.

Incognito is a marked man. All the cheap stuff he does on the field, and all the yapping ... it's caught up to him. The refs aren't going to cut him any slack. Period.

-B
    He totally had them ready to play.
    The players have bought into his message.

Everything he told them this week leading into the game... essentially, it was a forecast of what would happen (adversity, the early fumble and TD) and what they'd have to do to overcome it.

That's all the players were talking about after the game... how he told them that bad things would happen in the game, but they just had to keep their enthusiasm, because they could rally and overcome it.

And really that is what happened.

That locker room was a happy place for once and all of the players were giving props to Haslett.

-B

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Re: Bernie on Haslett

Zygmut is gone after this season for sure. He was a Linehan supporter.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't care what Cogs was saying or doing he needs to shut his mouth and play football!

That's what Haslett should have said.

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Looking at our schedule, Haslett will be lucky to guide us to 6-6. It's all about keeping competitive in games, not getting blown away early or fading in the fourth quarter, as we had been doing up until yesterday.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I don't care what Cogs was saying or doing he needs to shut his mouth and play football!

This is BS. That is what Haslett should have said?

Out of that entire article, that is what you felt needed to be commented on most?

What about the absolutely brilliant motivational job he did to get an 0-4 team prepared to take on the hottest team in the land on their home field? To convince them that bad things would happen, but yet find a way to keep this dead in the water team afloat, and ultimately, land them with a victory.

I think Haslett said all the right things this week ....

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by DistantRam View Post
    Looking at our schedule, Haslett will be lucky to guide us to 6-6. It's all about keeping competitive in games, not getting blown away early or fading in the fourth quarter, as we had been doing up until yesterday.
    Two notes on this:

1. It's better to be lucky than good.

2. If the team truly beleves they can win now, you have their hearts and that's what it takes to win.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

DistantRam is offline Registered User

I like your optimism, MoonJoe, but I still can't see any amount of luck and heart turning us into a team capable of going 6-10 from here. Still, stranger things have happened!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post

And behind closed doors maybe he did. Maybe he beat him over the head with a club. Maybe he promised a box of chocolates if Cogs would slow down........Mongo like candy!

But to the media.......Haslett said exactly what he had to say in order to keep his players.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Incognito is a marked man. All the cheap stuff he does on the field, and all the yapping ... it's caught up to him. The refs aren't going to cut him any slack. Period.
    Then why wasn't he penalized more?

Bottomline? That last minute stupidity aside, Cogs had the attention of the Skins line more than the refs. Even London was fully aware that a play near Cogs was going to get extracurrricular activity.

Just be smart about it and Cogs penchant for pugelistic persuasion is actually an asset.

Of course, making a 32-yard boot into a 47-yard boot doesn't exactly qualify him for MENSA, does it?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    This is BS. That is what Haslett should have said?

Out of that entire article, that is what you felt needed to be commented on most?

What about the absolutely brilliant motivational job he did to get an 0-4 team prepared to take on the hottest team in the land on their home field? To convince them that bad things would happen, but yet find a way to keep this dead in the water team afloat, and ultimately, land them with a victory.

I think Haslett said all the right things this week ....
    Cogs almost cost us the game because of his mouth. I would think that needs to be addressed.

Other than that, yes Haslett did an awesome job for 1 game.

sig51 is offline Registered User

I love me some extra curricular activity.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    2. If the team truly beleves they can win now, you have their hearts and that's what it takes to win.
    I agree. The hardest part of turning a franchise around is changing the "losing culture", i.e. that sense that we're going to lose this one just like we did the last one. A team that is convinced it can win from start to finish is going to do a better job of doing that little bit more to force the fumble or getting that push for one more yard to get the first down. A team that doesn't have that confidence is more likely to let things slip as they get tired, just like we have so often in the fourth quarter.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I actually think that Haslett said the exact right thing about the penalty. If you're going to flag for cursing, you better throw them every play. Most importantly, he had his player's back, when they all had his that day. That's what I like seeing from my coach.

That said, I have to hope that he chewed his out good in private, maybe on the flight home. I would like to see him maybe get demoted next week for a quarter or something. You know, not start, sit on the bench to learn his lesson.

It's also great to see how the players are very much buying into him now, where he said the poop was going to hit the fan, but they would overcome it and win. And what happened? Fumble in the first quarter sets them up for an easy TD, but we made the final drive for the win. Great job Haslett.

He alone is making a huge difference that I hope will be a lasting impression. He's impressing me a lot in his second chance as a top dog.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by DistantRam View Post
    I like your optimism, MoonJoe, but I still can't see any amount of luck and heart turning us into a team capable of going 6-10 from here. Still, stranger things have happened!

I tell you it sure felt good to watch Haslett interact with the team, much like Cower or Parcells does. You know, real coaches. I gave Linny a chance for I think the first 4 games of his tenure, but you know I just never "felt" it from him. No fire, no feelings, nothing. Just called it in from what I saw. Watching him coach was like watching a government employee do his job...zzzzzzzzz.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood