Results 1 to 4 of 4
Bernie: Intriguing Subplots For Rams Vs. Chiefs
Intriguing subplots for Rams vs. Chiefs
BY BERNIE MIKLASZ
Saturday, December 18, 2010
Five questions about Sunday's showdown between the Kansas City Chiefs and the Rams at the Edward Jones Dome:
1. Each team has a promising second-year head coach, with Steve Spagnuolo in St. Louis and Todd Haley in KC. But Haley has the more established and acclaimed coordinators in Charlie Weis (offense) and Romeo Crennel (defense.) Weis and Crennel, after all, helped head coach Bill Belichick and the New England Patriots upset the Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI. How will Rams offensive coordinator Pat Shumur and defensive coordinator Ken Flajole measure up to their more heralded counterparts? If it's a close game, coaching strategy looms as an important factor.
2. Thousands of Chiefs fans are expected to stream into the dome for Sunday's festivities. Are Rams fans going to make some noise, or will they allow Kansas City to take over The Ed?
3. The Rams are ranked 31st among 32 NFL teams in the percentage of touchdowns scored on red zone opportunities (36.2 percent). And the Chiefs defense ranks 31st in preventing red zone touchdowns, with opponents scoring TDs on 59.5 percent of their chances. And on the other end of the equation, the Chiefs are ninth in the NFL in red zone TD percentage, and the Rams defense is 13th in preventing red zone touchdowns. Who will win the battle of the RZ?
4. If the mending Matt Cassel can't go, or stay in, at quarterback for the Chiefs, then what do we expect to see from Brodie Coyle? He's 0-10 as a starter for the Chiefs. Is he really that bad, or is the 0-10 a misleading number?
5. Do the Rams have the outside linebackers and the rugged run support from the defensive backs necessary to contain Kansas City's perimeter rushing attack? When Jamaal Charles cuts a run to the left sideline, he averages 6.1 yards a carry. That's a potential trouble spot for the Rams defense.
SI.com NFL writer Don Banks, in a "redraft" of the 2010 first round — based on how the rookies have played this season — still had Sam Bradford pegged to the Rams at No. 1 overall. But in an indication of how much respect Rams offensive tackle Rodger Saffold has earned, Banks had him going fourth overall, to Washington, in the hypothetical first-round remix. Saffold was the 33rd overall choice in April's draft. … Dick Vermeil, speaking about Bradford on KFNS: "He's the next Peyton Manning."
The Bradford File: Sam's father, Kent Bradford, is a genuinely nice man who prefers to remain in the background rather than talking about his son in the media. But Kent Bradford recently spoke to Jenni Carlson of the Daily Oklahoman. "I just think that probably a key to Sam is that Sam has very high expectations of himself," Mr. Bradford said. "Probably all the other things, the press and the stories and all of that, he just tries to ignore. He tries to just kind of do his thing."
Kent Bradford was worried when he saw Sam sacked repeatedly in the Rams' first preseason game. "In the short period of time he was in there, I think he got hammered several times. I'm going, 'You know, I hope this works out,' because he was getting smoked. I was going, 'Oh, Lord. Come on.' … As for traveling to St. Louis (and elsewhere) for Rams games, Kent Bradford said, "I'm not going to miss 'em. I haven't missed 'em up to now. Heck, he's at the top. There's no reason to start missing 'em now." Summing up his son, the elder Bradford said, "I've always been proud of him for who he is. His sports and his quarterbacking, it's all nice and fun, but he has truly been a great kid."
-12-18-2010 #2AlphaRam Guest
Re: Bernie: Intriguing Subplots For Rams Vs. Chiefs2. Thousands of Chiefs fans are expected to stream into the dome for Sunday's festivities. Are Rams fans going to make some noise, or will they allow Kansas City to take over The Ed?
Re: Bernie: Intriguing Subplots For Rams Vs. Chiefs
Some day soon, The St Louis based Rams fans will buy the tickets and keep them for use by Ram fan to keep this travesty from taking place. Right?
By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALKReplies: 6Last Post: -12-17-2010, 10:01 AM
By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALKReplies: 1Last Post: -12-13-2010, 08:50 PM
By dgr828 in forum RAM TALKReplies: 3Last Post: -08-30-2009, 03:24 PM
By Nick in forum DRAFT & FAReplies: 1Last Post: -04-20-2009, 02:49 PM
By RamWraith in forum RAM TALKReplies: 1Last Post: -12-31-2004, 11:41 AM