r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Bernie: Isaac Bruce And The Rams: A Good Fit

01.20.2010 10:56 am
    Isaac Bruce and the Rams: a Good Fit
    By Bernie Miklasz
    Good day …

1. The Rams should hire Isaac Bruce to coach their young wide receivers: I say this provided that Bruce (obviously) decides to retire and is willing to put in the incredibly long hours that are required in the coaching life. But if Bruce wants to dedicate himself to coaching, then the Rams should open their doors to him. They need a WR coach. Bruce was revered by the young San Francisco *****’ wideouts the last two seasons. He taught them a lot of things about preparation, professionalism and running routes. Bruce as mentor is nothing new; he had a profound impact on a young Torry Holt here in St. Louis. Will this happen? I doubt it. I doubt it very much. I say this because the Rams’ new football regime has a strange paranoia about the “Greatest Show” Rams. One of the first things Steve Spagnuolo did when taking over as coach was order the removal of wall photos of some of the great St. Louis Rams. Players like Bruce, Marshall Faulk, Kurt Warner, etc. For some reason, GM Billy Devaney and Spags seem to feel threatened by the ghosts of Rams past. Which is really rather silly; they should embrace the success of that era and the standard that the “Greatest Show” Rams established for future Rams teams.

2. Silent Stan Kroenke and the sale of the Rams: Our man Jim Thomas wrote about new developments in the Rams’ sale in today’s gazette. And one of the intriguing aspects of the Rams’ ownership is the role of minority partner Stan Kroenke. Once upon a time, Kroenke was accessible and visible at Rams games, but he’s completely gone underground in an attempt to stay away from reporters. So no one has been able to determine whether Howard Hughes — I mean, Kroenke — wants to keep his 40 percent share of the Rams under new ownership or sell that 40 percent to new owners. It would be easier to sell the franchise if Kroenke stays in at 40 percent. But no one knows what Stan wants to do; not even majority owners Chip Rosenbloom and Lucia Rodriguez. My hunch is that we shouldn’t assume that Kroenke will stay in place with his 40 percent. I say that because of Silent Stanley’s pursuit of the prestigious Arsenal soccer club of the EPL. Here’s some background from a recent New York Times story on Kroenke and Arsenal. One obvious possibility is that Kroenke will want to sell his 40 percent share of the Rams to help him handle the major cost of purchasing Arsenal.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Bernie: Isaac Bruce And The Rams: A Good Fit

Every now and again I think... maybe I'm too hard on Bernie. Then he writes something like this:

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I say this because the Rams’ new football regime has a strange paranoia about the “Greatest Show” Rams. One of the first things Steve Spagnuolo did when taking over as coach was order the removal of wall photos of some of the great St. Louis Rams. Players like Bruce, Marshall Faulk, Kurt Warner, etc. For some reason, GM Billy Devaney and Spags seem to feel threatened by the ghosts of Rams past.
    No, Bernie... paranoia is what you feel when you check the PD's fridge 16 times to make sure nobody has stolen your lunch.

Spagnuolo - unlike Line#%& - recognized that the time had come to build a new legacy, rather than trying to hold on to the past. Also, from what I've read, it was more about removing photos of individuals in favor of focusing on the team as a whole.

You don't have to agree with that approach, but you're use of your platform to declare people "paranoid" or "threatened" is just tabloid nonsense.

I hope Spags and Devaney read your comments and conclude, as they should, that you're not worth talking to.

dave626 is offline Registered User
    Blog Entries

Does this guy ever have any original information, all he does is write about crap thats already posted elsewhere.
    How much does he make to read the blogs and then put some ANDs and THEs in, and repost it. nice job BM=BS, JT must love having you over his shoulder all the time.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Every now and again I think... maybe I'm too hard on Bernie. Then he writes something like this:

No, Bernie... paranoia is what you feel when you check the PD's fridge 16 times to make sure nobody has stolen your lunch.

Spagnuolo - unlike Line#%& - recognized that the time had come to build a new legacy, rather than trying to hold on to the past. Also, from what I've read, it was more about removing photos of individuals in favor of focusing on the team as a whole.

You don't have to agree with that approach, but you're use of your platform to declare people "paranoid" or "threatened" is just tabloid nonsense.

I hope Spags and Devaney read your comments and conclude, as they should, that you're not worth talking to.
    Yeah I agree. Why hold on to the past? Ok, we won a super bowl ten years ago now its time to forget about all that and win games. The whole organization can't keep holding on to the GSoT days.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Why the heck did Spag take down the greatest show on turf pictures??? Might as well get rid of the Lombardi trophy we have.

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Why the heck did Spag take down the greatest show on turf pictures??? Might as well get rid of the Lombardi trophy we have.
    The answer has been given. Because this is a team, not a group of individuals. If you put praise on individuals by having their pictures up it undermines that notion.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

I say this because the Rams’ new football regime has a strange paranoia about the “Greatest Show” Rams. One of the first things Steve Spagnuolo did when taking over as coach was order the removal of wall photos of some of the great St. Louis Rams. Players like Bruce, Marshall Faulk, Kurt Warner, etc. For some reason, GM Billy Devaney and Spags seem to feel threatened by the ghosts of Rams past. Which is really rather silly; they should embrace the success of that era and the standard that the “Greatest Show” Rams established for future Rams teams.
    I think it is a little bit paranoid.

These players embodied the team concept. They were the consummate team leaders. They were mentors to younger players. They invoke aspiration and inspiration. What's more they were gifted football players. Personally, I'd take a team full of these type of guys and certainly a crappy 1-15 team could use a few as well.

Maybe we should do away with the Ring of Honor or worse yet the revered Pro Football Hall of Fame; simply to perpetuate the theme of team over team leader. To me, team and team leader are to be looked at in the same context.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I think it's alot paranoid. Why not embrace excellence? I don't get taking down those pictures.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

The Rams went 1-15 because of minimal talent and maximum injuries.

Not because of photos on the wall.

I think you are the ones being paranoid.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Who said the Rams went 1-15 because of a lack of photos on the wall?

The photos weren't doing any harm, nor did it help anything by taking them down.

Obviously they have the power to do whatever they want, so let's leave it at that.

No one is paranoid, rather the Rams simply suck.

Hopefully they can improve next year.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Av, Luv ya like brother man so here is a word of advice: when I despise something I don't go near it. If I were you, I'd stay away from anything Bernie writes but that's just me.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Because two of the three players mentioned play for division rivals now? And if those two are gone, there's really little point to keeping any of them up.

-----------------------------------

I actually agree with the sentiment about leaving the GSOT's shadow. It's gone, poleaxed by defeat in Super Bowl XXXVI. Unfortunately, the franchise spent most of the last decade in a hangover trying to breathe life into the GSOT's corpse. Unlike Shawmunt, Martz, and Linebaka, DeSpags realize the GSOT is dead, and by removing such visible reminders of it, they can drag the franchise along the rebuilding process, unencumbered by past preconceptions, decisions, and legacies.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    I think it is a little bit paranoid.

These players embodied the team concept. They were the consummate team leaders. They were mentors to younger players. They invoke aspiration and inspiration. What's more they were gifted football players. Personally, I'd take a team full of these type of guys and certainly a crappy 1-15 team could use a few as well.

Maybe we should do away with the Ring of Honor or worse yet the revered Pro Football Hall of Fame; simply to perpetuate the theme of team over team leader. To me, team and team leader are to be looked at in the same context.

It's symbolic. DeSpags are trying to create a completely new identity for the team and franchise, one that likely will not rely on berserk offensive production and arena-esque defense, but rather the exact opposite. When embarking on such a dramatic change of course, such symbolic and visible breaks with the past are needed.

Of course, the fact that this franchise's hole is as deep as it is because we spent much of the 2000s trying to recreate the GSOT probably made the decision easier.

Alternatively...many of these guys are still in the league, yet not in St. Louis. Venerating these guys kind of sends the following message to our young players; "Succeed, and one day you too can flee St. Louis." Not exactly the sort of thing you want to say to your young players.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

This is a new team, believe it or not, leaving traces of the past behind in the form of pictures can leave the impression your stuck in the past and trying to recreate it. Hopefully all pictures stay down from now on...Let the fan boys put up fatheads and wall stickers. The rams have no need for such nonsense..

*stretches out a crease in his steven jackson poster*