Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Bernie: Mad Mike doesn't get all the credit that he is due

Mad Mike doesn't get all the credit that he is due
    By Bernie Miklasz
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    08/14/2004

Earlier this summer, the New York Daily News conducted a poll of 12 NFL general managers and team executives and asked this question: Who is the best head coach in the NFL?

Each panelist was requested to list 10 coaches, ranking them from 1 to 10. In all, 19 coaches were named on ballots. The top three vote-getters were, in order, Bill Belichick (New England), Bill Parcells (Dallas) and Dick Vermeil (Kansas City).

Rams coach Mike Martz didn't receive a single vote.

Martz was shut out for the first time in his coaching career.

Even Miami's Dave Wannstedt got a check mark on one ballot.

Dave Wannstedt!

Martz? All zeroes. And this isn't just a national hit on Martz; locally, he's often sacked by critics and talk-show callers.

Where is the love? I'm not trying to suggest that Martz is Vince Lombardi, but when did he become, say, Bob Hollway? (That Hollway reference was for old-school St. Louis football Cardinals fans.)

Fact is, the Martz resume as the Rams head coach is impressive. His regular-season winning percentage of .672 is the best by a head coach in St. Louis NFL history. Since the AFL-NFL merger, he has the fourth-highest winning percentage for any NFL head coach with at least 50 games. In his four seasons, he has taken the Rams to the playoffs three times, including a trip to the Super Bowl.

Reasonable minds recognize Martz's important contribution to the 1999 Super Bowl champion. After going 9-23 in his first two seasons, Dick Vermeil hired Martz to run the Rams offense. Martz installed an offense for the ages, and the Rams sprinted to a championship.

In Martz's five seasons in charge of the Rams offense, the attack has averaged 29.5 points per game. That's a remarkable scoring rate over a five-year period.

Before Martz showed up in 1999, St. Louis NFL football teams won 43.6 percent of their games and made the playoffs three times in 32 seasons. After Martz came onto the scene in a position of authority - offensive coordinator, then head coach - the Rams have won 70 percent of their games, made the playoffs four times and captured a Super Bowl title.

Martz bashers like to say that he's lucky to have inherited Vermeil's team. Not really, because the Rams were a disaster under Vermeil in 1997 and '98, and Martz played a substantial role in shaping the 1999 squad. Besides, only seven players remain from the 1999 team. Only 15 players remain from the 2001 Super Bowl Rams.

Martz has continued winning even as he has rebuilt the defense and retooled much of the offense. In the salary-cap area, a coach must adjust quickly to inevitable personnel changes, and Martz has adapted on the fly.

So why the lack of respect for Martz? Rams fans still haven't forgiven Martz for the Super Bowl loss to New England. And fans still hold Martz responsible for last season's home playoff loss to Carolina. Martz went conservative at the end of the fourth quarter, choosing to kick a tying field goal instead of going for the winning touchdown. (Oakland coach John Madden used the exact strategy in a 1977 AFC playoff game at Baltimore; the difference is, the Raiders won in overtime.)

It's safe to assume that the NFL execs who responded to the Daily News poll had to be thinking of those postseason losses in excluding Martz. He also is viewed as flaky for making head-scratching decisions during games. Eccentricity isn't considered a virtue in the hard-nosed NFL culture.

As much as he has won with the Rams, the belief is that Martz should have won more. That opinion has merit. But it also fails to give proper weight to his impressive record of achievement.

In this debate, I am certain of two things: (1) St. Louis was an NFL wasteland before Martz; (2) when Martz is gone and the Rams are sputtering along with a dull offense, fans will miss Mad Mike.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Re: Bernie: Mad Mike doesn't get all the credit that he is due

I think this part should tell all the Martz bashers something

Martz bashers like to say that he's lucky to have inherited Vermeil's team. Not really, because the Rams were a disaster under Vermeil in 1997 and '98, and Martz played a substantial role in shaping the 1999 squad. Besides, only seven players remain from the 1999 team. Only 15 players remain from the 2001 Super Bowl Rams.

Martz has continued winning even as he has rebuilt the defense and retooled much of the offense. In the salary-cap area, a coach must adjust quickly to inevitable personnel changes, and Martz has adapted on the fly.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Is it me, or is there something kind of inconsistent about writing an article that is supposed to be praising Coach Martz, but at the same time calls him "Mad Mike"?

Yodude is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Is it me, or is there something kind of inconsistent about writing an article that is supposed to be praising Coach Martz, but at the same time calls him "Mad Mike"?
    I think the "Mad Mike" moniker is more of a compliment than anything else...implying he's kind of a "mad scientist" type, laboring in a dark, dank basement laboratory, devising new offensive wrinkles.
    Last edited by Yodude; -08-15-2004 at 03:29 PM.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Maybe, but its the same nickname Bernie pulls out when he criticizes Martz.

Maybe, but its the same nickname Bernie pulls out when he criticizes Martz.
    I know what you're saying Avenger...but you have to remember who we are talking about here...it's Bernie after all. I think others use it as a kind of back-handed compliment. As far as Bernie goes...I think only Bernie himself knows what's going on in that thick skull of his....if indeed there is anything going on in there.

My opinion of Bernie Miklasz (hereafter referred to as BM).

Sometimes, he writes articles containing hard facts. A hard BM is definitely preferrable. Other times, he really seems to be pretty loose with the type of information he provides. I'm not particularly fond of a loose BM. Other times, he tries to provide breaking news in an urgent manner. An urgent BM, however, can be problematic. Perhaps the biggest problem with him, though, is that he seems to cover the Rams on an intermittent or irregular basis. Nobody likes an irregular BM.

In all, I have to say that though BM may be necessary, generally, BM stinks.

Little known fact.

Miklasz's middle name is Ustinove

so Avenger, you need to change BM to B.U.M

Say, it kind of fits him, dont it

Nobody likes an irregular BM.
    Perhaps some fiber ........ah, never mind!

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I'll always be a fan of Martz. He'll make mistakes and sometimes leave you screaming at the television, but I admire his unconventional, open-minded, and creative approach to the game.

I'll always be a fan of Martz. He'll make mistakes and sometimes leave you screaming at the television, but I admire his unconventional, open-minded, and creative approach to the game.
    I agree...I don't always agree with his decisions...but overall, I wouldn't want anyone else.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

I guess if I stop and think about it........I wouldn't want anybody else either. Martz has pissed me off alot and I have Bashed him, I've been bashed too so it's all good! Give me Martz all day. F the patriots
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

RamTime Guest

Its that time of year again when Bernie shakes out his yellow blind fold and ties it around his thick skull then reaches into his pocket where he keeps his tube of chap stick. He then applies a thick enough coat to last for 6 months and plants his lips squarely on Martz's behind. Then at the end of that six-month period and after Martz has found another way to contribute to the Rams losing their biggest game of the season, (Which also happens to be their last game of the season.) you will hear the suction that has accumulated when the final peck on Martzís cheek is delivered.

Bernie wants to set the parameters of achievement to fit his agenda. If you do not know what his agenda consists of then I suggest you re-read the first paragraph. If you consider how the media (thatís you Bernie) did their share of vaulting Martz into the stratosphere of over-rated back in the years when the Rams were clearly the most talented team in the league then I think one could say that Coach Martz not getting a single vote for best coach(s) is not even on the scale compared to the accolades of Genius that were so lavishly bestowed upon him. (Thatíd be you again Bernie!). Comparing one against the other clearly shows that Martz is still ahead of the mediaís worship game by plenty.

Bernie seems to forget what is important in football. Its not how many games you do not screw up over a period of time. Itís which games you choose to screw up that matter. Bernie glosses over the blunder at Carolina as if it were just another game. It was not just another game.

It was bad enough to watch as the officials intentionally and egregiously watched the final seconds tick off the clock in superbowl XXXVI but when your own coach watches his teams chance to win the game tick off the clock then just maybe he does not deserve a vote for best coach. Bernie chooses to ignore the talent that Martz was blessed with in his inaugural head-coaching career. Instead he tryís to bury it by turning your attention to Martz being instrumental in acquiring this talent. Even if we play along it still has nothing to do with what has been squandered. In fact it only adds to the ever-growing inkblot on his achievements as a head coach. (Nice try Bernie). Not mentioned is the truth-hiding schedule that we played last year, which also vaulted his win loss record into the overrated stratosphere.

What is most important to point out here goes beyond any one game. You see us old guys that have been following the Rams and watching them come so close so many times only to lose because we were not quite good enough have a real problem with what has become of the dynasty that was so apparent and so achievable given the lop-sided talent the Rams had over the rest of the league. For some sick and selfish reason we feel like the best chance of our lifetime was wasted because a guy needed the time to learn how to be a head coach.

If things go as common sense suggests and as realists have pointed to since the 2000 season then even Bernie will have no choice except to shed the yellow hanky for a crying towel. Itís probably the same type of people; ďrealistsĒ (Thatís not you Bernie.) who have called this sham as early as the 2000 season that decided not to cast a vote his way. I could go on but the point should be exceedingly clear.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Yodude
    I agree...I don't always agree with his decisions...but overall, I wouldn't want anyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by theodus69
    I wouldn't want anybody else either.
    You both will.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Mike Martz is the best thing to ever happen to St. Louis football. Be it either the Cardinals or the Rams. Period.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast