Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,224
    Rep Power
    127

    Bernie: Marshall Faulk Dogs The Rams (Again)

    02.17.2010 3:19 pm
    Marshall Faulk dogs the Rams
    By Bernie Miklasz


    Didn’t want this item to get lost at the bottom of my earlier “5 Minutes” blog posting:

    * Marshall Faulk is still dogging the Rams: This time, through The Sporting News, which ranked the Rams No. 32 (last) in the NFL going into the offseason.

    “They’ve earned the No. 32 spot,” Faulk said. “It’s well-deserved. The Rams are more worried about firing their trainer and their equipment manager than they are worried about the coaches responsible for their play on the field. That says a lot. When the first offseason move you make is to fire your trainer? Perfect.

    “Maybe the draft will help. But at no point last season did I see anything that made me think they were turning the corner. It’s painful to watch.”

    I don’t think the Rams have fired their equipment manager, but Faulk was trying to make a larger point. Faulk, the retired Ram and sure Hall of Fame RB, is an analyst for the NFL Network. Here is a link to The Sporting News and its NFL power rankings.

    * And Michael Lombardi of The National Football Post and the NFL Network also dogged the Rams, when discussing their drafts and handling of the QB position:

    “The true measure of a successful organization is to be able to anticipate problems, not react to them. For the Rams this Marc Bulger problem has been festering for some time, but they chose to ignore it, picking a very average end (Chris Long);and a right tackle (Jason Smith). Now they’re looking for a franchise quarterback at a time where there may not be one in the draft.

    “Last offseason, I heard the Rams were interested in Michael Vick before he signed with the Eagles, but once again they passed, ignoring the problem. Now, the Rams are again reported to be in the Vick market, a year too late. Lately, they’ve always been too late in almost everything they do.”


  2. #2
    PeoriaRam's Avatar
    PeoriaRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    39

    Re: Bernie: Marshall Faulk Dogs The Rams (Again)

    To Marshall Faulk. We get it. You are upset that your boy Anderson was fired. However you must consider that this franchise has lost roughly a quarter of its roster to major injuries the last 3 or 4 seasons. When injuries hit that stage for that long, it stops being "bad luck" and "part of the game" and something the organization needs to do something about. Such as firing the guy who should theoretically have the players in good enough shape to lessen the chance of injury. Additionally, this season Anderson also had a Staph and swine flu outbreak on his watch. That is not good either. Indeed, it speaks well of the Rams that when they terminated Anderson they did not make mention of the injuries or of the biological crises that struck the team.

    Anyway, enjoy being persona non grata in Rams Park. I hope you can hold on to that analyst job at NFL network, because there's no way in heck we're giving you a position any time soon.

    To Michael Lombardi. I'm so, so very sorry the Rams couldn't emulate the Detroit Lions/Cleveland Browns model of franchise building. Successful football teams are built on the lines, and our lines have been putrescent prior to our recent ministrations. QB is one of the last things you should add, not the first. Additionally, has it ever occurred to you that the people who were calling the personnel shots prior to 2009 and during 2009 were completely different?

    Additionally its a shame we didn't have a fracking crystal ball to tell us that the QB who had his best statistical season in 2006 would then immediately suffer a marked degradation in performance as our failure to adequately build a young core and replace our aging talent finally hit home.

    And why is it a year too late to be "interested in Vick?"

  3. #3
    evil disco man's Avatar
    evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,024
    Rep Power
    55

    Re: Bernie: Marshall Faulk Dogs The Rams (Again)

    I have a sneaky suspicion that this is all sour grapes about Faulk not getting much access to the Rams. Devaney and co. like to run a tight ship when it comes to media access, and Faulk is now a media head. He griped before about not being able to get "insider info" and it seems like he's trying to punish them by being overly critical. And of course, Bernie is happy to publish those gripes, since he's had his panties in a wad about it, too.

    So what if they fired the trainer? Sure, he was a long-time employee, but maybe that was the problem. Maybe he's a little out of touch with more modern techniques. To me, that was just another move in line with what Spags and Devaney have been doing in the last year - cleaning house and starting all over. We've seen all the injuries the Rams have sustained in the last couple seasons. There's no way to really pinpoint the reason for them, but the trainer could've been a big part of that.

    The Rams led the league in dead cap money last year, which means they couldn't fill that gap with the talent they need to win. I don't think you'd find many people that would argue against the Rams being one of the least-talented teams in the league when it comes to player personnel. So for Marshall to imply that they should be firing some coaches already is unfair. It's not easy to gauge a coach's effectiveness when he doesn't have much to work with. Not only that, but most of them were first-year guys, at least with the Rams.

    Haven't seen any signs that the Rams are close to turning the corner, Marshall? I remember quite a few games later in the season that were close towards the end. Plus, it's been ONE season with the new staff, new systems and many new players (young ones at that). Give 'em a freakin break.

  4. #4
    01d 0rd3r's Avatar
    01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    1,259
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Bernie: Marshall Faulk Dogs The Rams (Again)

    Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    02.17.2010 3:19 pm
    Marshall Faulk dogs the Rams
    By Bernie Miklasz


    Didn’t want this item to get lost at the bottom of my earlier “5 Minutes” blog posting:

    * Marshall Faulk is still dogging the Rams: This time, through The Sporting News, which ranked the Rams No. 32 (last) in the NFL going into the offseason.

    “They’ve earned the No. 32 spot,” Faulk said. “It’s well-deserved. The Rams are more worried about firing their trainer and their equipment manager than they are worried about the coaches responsible for their play on the field. That says a lot. When the first offseason move you make is to fire your trainer? Perfect.
    The same trainer that has 13 players on IR this year? Shouldnt that guy be keeping the players healthy?
    “Maybe the draft will help. But at no point last season did I see anything that made me think they were turning the corner. It’s painful to watch.”
    Drafting a franchise LT and getting a steal at a MLB that will be a perennial pro bowler in the second round, not to mention a promising CB.
    * And Michael Lombardi of The National Football Post and the NFL Network also dogged the Rams, when discussing their drafts and handling of the QB position:

    “The true measure of a successful organization is to be able to anticipate problems, not react to them. For the Rams this Marc Bulger problem has been festering for some time, but they chose to ignore it, picking a very average end (Chris Long);and a right tackle (Jason Smith). Now they’re looking for a franchise quarterback at a time where there may not be one in the draft.?
    The question of long being average has already been answered in another thread. Furthermore I didnt know we drafted Smith to be a RT, glad Lombardi set me straight.

    “Last offseason, I heard the Rams were interested in Michael Vick before he signed with the Eagles, but once again they passed, ignoring the problem. Now, the Rams are again reported to be in the Vick market, a year too late. Lately, they’ve always been too late in almost everything they do.”
    I have already made my opinions on Vick very well known. I would grade this as a A+ move by devaney and spags.

  5. #5
    NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,192
    Rep Power
    69

    Re: Bernie: Marshall Faulk Dogs The Rams (Again)

    Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    To Marshall Faulk. We get it. You are upset that your boy Anderson was fired. However you must consider that this franchise has lost roughly a quarter of its roster to major injuries the last 3 or 4 seasons. When injuries hit that stage for that long, it stops being "bad luck" and "part of the game" and something the organization needs to do something about. Such as firing the guy who should theoretically have the players in good enough shape to lessen the chance of injury. Additionally, this season Anderson also had a Staph and swine flu outbreak on his watch. That is not good either. Indeed, it speaks well of the Rams that when they terminated Anderson they did not make mention of the injuries or of the biological crises that struck the team.

    Anyway, enjoy being persona non grata in Rams Park. I hope you can hold on to that analyst job at NFL network, because there's no way in heck we're giving you a position any time soon.

    To Michael Lombardi. I'm so, so very sorry the Rams couldn't emulate the Detroit Lions/Cleveland Browns model of franchise building. Successful football teams are built on the lines, and our lines have been putrescent prior to our recent ministrations. QB is one of the last things you should add, not the first. Additionally, has it ever occurred to you that the people who were calling the personnel shots prior to 2009 and during 2009 were completely different?

    Additionally its a shame we didn't have a fracking crystal ball to tell us that the QB who had his best statistical season in 2006 would then immediately suffer a marked degradation in performance as our failure to adequately build a young core and replace our aging talent finally hit home.

    And why is it a year too late to be "interested in Vick?"

    Excellent response on all counts. Marshall Faulk was an outstanding player for us and as a fan, I will forever be grateful for his contributions to a Super Bowl title and some great years in a Rams uniform. That said, his latest comments smack of sour grapes and quite honestly are beneath him. They certainly don't do him any favors within the organization. If you believe much of what you read and heard, Marshall Faulk not only lobbied for a position within the organization but wanted a TITLE- something that was totally unrealistic. Like a spurned lover, he now has chosen to use his bully pulpit at the NFL Network to throw gasoline on the fire. Marshall has the right to his opinion and also the right to be critical, but not unfairly so. The Rams made a move with their trainer and released him without lambasting him or publicly raking him over the coals. You can question Spags and Devaney's moves all you want, but don't for a second suggest they "aren't doing anything" or "the only thing they've done is fire the trainer". That's simply a cheap shot.

    As for Michael Lombardi, he engages in the ultimate second guess- questioning why we didn't draft a QB in the face of Bulger's struggles. He conveniently overlooks the fact that the Rams have had multiple glaring needs that needed attention. Mark Sanchez had a poor year despite a great offensive line and a great running game to help him, yet people are kissing his ass in light of a couple of playoff wins. And anyone who says they knew Matt Ryan would be outstanding from day one in the NFL is lying through their teeth. Drafting Long and Smith in successive drafts was the smart play at the time- few felt otherwise.

    I've already addressed Vick- I don't like the guy and never did, dog fighting notwithstanding. He masked terrible passing instincts with his ability to scramble. He is not what we should be looking at to improve the position in the long term.

  6. #6
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    59

    Re: Bernie: Marshall Faulk Dogs The Rams (Again)

    I'm not sure what Faulk would have us do. Last off-season we fired pretty much the whole coaching staff and brought in a new regime. Is he suggesting that instead of giving the new staff a chance to rebuild, we should turn around and fire some more people? We're all frustrated, but I think most fans recognize that we were bringing in guys off the street at almost every position.

    As for Lombardi, he is right to the extent that the Bulger situation has been developing for some time now. However, when we took Long after the 2007 season, Bulger had only had one down year. It would have been difficult for anyone to guess at that point that it was never going to get better. Last year, the Rams did the smart thing and picked up a tackle before investing in a quarterback, which was forward thinking. Now here we have the opportunity to take Bradford, who very well could have been the best quarterback in last year's draft if he had declared back then.

  7. #7
    Azul e Oro is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    2,331
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: Bernie: Marshall Faulk Dogs The Rams (Again)

    All these great responses from this knowledgeable board should be exhibit A in a collective civil suit against Messrs Miklasz, Lombardi, & Faulk.You did all the work for them, ie reporting about what's actually been happening to The Rams, & ought to get the money they were paid,imo.

  8. #8
    TheRammer Guest

    Re: Bernie: Marshall Faulk Dogs The Rams (Again)

    I think Marshall is very accurate with his views for the simple fact we were 1-15. What major moves have we done from our roster of 1-15? None because the draft and FA hasn't come to full tilt and the new season ahs not begun yet to prove and show our improvment. Marshall has a job first and foremost as a analyst now and secondly as a Ram fan. It pains him to see us like this but he has a job to report the facts in which I feel the same exact way in which we have not changed from our old team as of now but will soon.

    As for Michael Lombadri he is a tard and I don't really respect much of what he has to say anyways. It seems when he talks on NFL network that he just says stuff that is no brainer and common sense type of stuff for the most part. I wouldn't get to heated by someone who changed their name coming out of college to Lombardi so he would be better received by football fans...

  9. #9
    KoaKoi is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    870
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Bernie: Marshall Faulk Dogs The Rams (Again)

    Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    All these great responses from this knowledgeable board should be exhibit A in a collective civil suit against Messrs Miklasz, Lombardi, & Faulk.You did all the work for them, ie reporting about what's actually been happening to The Rams, & ought to get the money they were paid,imo.

    here here!


  10. #10
    RockinRam's Avatar
    RockinRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    4,074
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: Bernie: Marshall Faulk Dogs The Rams (Again)

    Faulk's just jealous he's not in on our movement to once again be a great dynasty.

  11. #11
    jmk321's Avatar
    jmk321 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    albany
    Posts
    591
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: Bernie: Marshall Faulk Dogs The Rams (Again)

    Faulk raises good points. Lombardi is an idiot though. The Rams were never going after Vick last off-season with a young team and a first time coach that only wanted high character players to help build a good locker room. You also can't make a definite judgment on Smith or Long based on their short amount of time in the NFL.

    Marshall is right about some of the coaches. Shermer was obviously a terrible hire. The offense was pathetic and hard to watch at times this season and that wasn't entirely because of the lack of talent. The play calling was incredibly predictable and way too conservative. An experienced OC probably should've been hired because you need some experience within the organization. There were too many first time coaches for there to also be a first time offensive coordinator.

    And he's frustrated with people accepting the fact that the team only won 1 game. The Rams should be getting criticized. I guess he's mad that a trainer that he worked with and knows got fired and I'm sure he knows more about the qualifications and how good of a trainer Anderson is than we do anyways. The trainer issue might be more of a personal thing though.

    He should still be allowed to criticize the team even if he used to play for them because the only thing the Rams really deserve is criticism after how embarrassing the last season was.

  12. #12
    TheRammer Guest

    Re: Bernie: Marshall Faulk Dogs The Rams (Again)

    Quote Originally Posted by jmk321 View Post
    Faulk raises good points. Lombardi is an idiot though. The Rams were never going after Vick last off-season with a young team and a first time coach that only wanted high character players to help build a good locker room. You also can't make a definite judgment on Smith or Long based on their short amount of time in the NFL.

    Marshall is right about some of the coaches. Shermer was obviously a terrible hire. The offense was pathetic and hard to watch at times this season and that wasn't entirely because of the lack of talent. The play calling was incredibly predictable and way too conservative. An experienced OC probably should've been hired because you need some experience within the organization. There were too many first time coaches for there to also be a first time offensive coordinator.

    And he's frustrated with people accepting the fact that the team only won 1 game. The Rams should be getting criticized. I guess he's mad that a trainer that he worked with and knows got fired and I'm sure he knows more about the qualifications and how good of a trainer Anderson is than we do anyways. The trainer issue might be more of a personal thing though.

    He should still be allowed to criticize the team even if he used to play for them because the only thing the Rams really deserve is criticism after how embarrassing the last season was.
    Great post
    Faulk has every right to criticize the team he's come to know and love....
    Some might not like this at all but thats how things get fixed..

  13. #13
    01d 0rd3r's Avatar
    01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    1,259
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Bernie: Marshall Faulk Dogs The Rams (Again)

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRammer View Post
    Great post
    Faulk has every right to criticize the team he's come to know and love....
    Some might not like this at all but thats how things get fixed..
    How does Faulks criticism help things get fixed? Will his ramblings make spags bring him in as a coach? No, and I wouldnt want him here anyway. Will the crap spewing from his mouth make other player want to come here? No, if anything he is making the situation worse. All your seeing right here is a former player being a bandwagon fan. Hating the team while that are playing badly then the second they start winning, Faulk will hop on and say he has believed in them the whole time.

  14. #14
    peramoure is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    237
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Bernie: Marshall Faulk Dogs The Rams (Again)

    Their analysts, and despite us all being "homers" and darn good ones at that, they're all 100% right. We were awful, and watching the Rams last year was like watching paint dry. Terrible.

    We did wait too long on Bulger. We let him stay last year with no future quarterback behind him to develop. If you call Null the future, then you're kidding yourself. And you were kidding yourself on draft day last year - I remember rolling my eyes in frustration that we didn't make a deal to get "the guy" to be "the guy" when we cut Bulger this year.

    So lets be honest!! We were awful, and instead of making excuses I say lets focus on all the positive things we are going to do THIS year. The Rams have made bad decisions, strategic moves, hirings and firings, but THIS year we start the turn around under new ownership and management.

    (and here's to Josh Johnson) <-- you can flame me for that, but I like him. ;-)

  15. #15
    Truth's Avatar
    Truth is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,389
    Rep Power
    36

    Re: Bernie: Marshall Faulk Dogs The Rams (Again)

    I have no problem with Faulk's comments. If he were not willing to criticize his own (past) team's progress, he would have absolutely no credibility what-so-ever. The team is a mess, they have reacted to issues rather than being proactive. We may not like what he has to say (tthe TRUTH often hurts), but that doesn't make it inaccurate.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Some of our Rams Historical Moments
    By OldRamsfan in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: -03-16-2009, 10:23 PM
  2. Thomas Chat--Jan 6
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -01-07-2009, 08:38 AM
  3. Jim Thomas Live-Feb. 5th
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -02-06-2008, 12:24 PM
  4. Gordo 2/4/08
    By ramsplaya16 in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -02-04-2008, 07:01 PM
  5. Jim Thomas Live, October 30
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -10-30-2007, 08:58 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •