Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    macrammer is online now Registered User

Re: Bernie: Marshall Faulk On The State Of The Rams

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    What don't you understand about the idea of creating an environment where the concept of team is emphasized over individual accomplishment ? I think Faulk's sizeable ego is a little bruised here & he and Bernie-who probably has been kissing MF's booty forever- are just sharing a good little pout together.

Fair enough to say the jury's still out on the DeSpags regime but I'd rather have an FO leader who learned his biz under guys like Beatherd & McKay and a coach whose advisory circle/mentors include Coughlin, Reid, and the late Jim Johnson than some guys scrambling in a panic for advice from ex-players, no matter how great, or or hack gasbag columnists.

We all love being armchair GMs/HCs but I don't see a strong case for giving greater weight to either MF's or BM's opinions just because they are paid to express them. Neither has paid their dues in an exec or coaching position.
    Thanks for your opinion. As stated, I disagree. I see no issue in keeping the past that worked for the organization as part of the environment. I have seem other organizations do it and they have turned out alright. One could argue it is paranoia, insecurity etc. The truth is, nobody on this board really knows the motive for certain. I do not like it plain and simple but respect your opinion in how you feel about it.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    Thanks for your opinion. As stated, I disagree. I see no issue in keeping the past that worked for the organization as part of the environment. I have seem other organizations do it and they have turned out alright. One could argue it is paranoia, insecurity etc. The truth is, nobody on this board really knows the motive for certain. I do not like it plain and simple but respect your opinion in how you feel about it.
    No need to thank me...except by defending your opinion with something a little more specific than this.I'm not sure what you mean by "keeping the past". The pics in question were replaced with group action shots of the same era/team in the employee-only parts of Rams Park if what was reported on the story at the time is to be believed. It's not like they knocked down the ring of honor or took down the banners in The ED honoring The Ram greats whose numbers have been retired. In fact, Devaney & Chip have done more to pay homage to those guys in the last two years than Georgia & Shawgmunt did in over twenty.Spags seemed happy to have The Deacon address the team as well.

If I were Nutten or Timmerman or any number of guys who contributed mightily to Faulk's success as a Ram, I'd be very happy to see myself included in a photographic reminder/motivational tool in the locker room or wherever, rather than Faulk alone. It's a team space , not a fan club. Haven't personally seen inside any pro facilities that operate either way but I do remember a shot of where The Cowboys wait to enter the field in their new stadium. Just a big mural saying Dallas Cowboys/World champions & a list of years. Let the fans like us fantasize about/identify with the stars of the past; it's that team legacy I think The Rams players should be thinking about/identifying with before they come out & whenever they are preparing, for that matter.

Faulk is a media pundit right now who has shown zero interest in coaching or FO work.. Hardly surprising that he hasn't had a heart2heart with The Rams brass while he works solely in that capacity.The guy's a friggin' Saints fan, fer cryin' out loud. And I've listened to his comments on many NFL topics,inc The Rams. No doubt he's a smart & knowledgeable guy but there's been nothing so great or insightful about his observations that have led me to think; "wow, I hope BD or Spags is hearing this !' Have you? Do you think we should have traded SJ ?

I thought the secrecy/paranoia thing had been debunked. Except for the very early stages, it seems to me that the local media has the normal level of access to Ram personnel,if not more. Just because Spags doesn't give Rex Ryan-like soundbites or cause drama by publicly criticizing players doesn't make him paranoid. If regular interviews on the radio & in print with all the Ram bigwigs aren't proof enough of that access,go to the media center on the Rams site; every game week there are numerous interviews with coaches, etc.

I love listening to Spags run circles around the likes of Jim Thomas who are always trying to get him to air dirty laundry. So much easier for these writers to pass on gossip than analyze the team on their own, no wonder they resent it when it's not given to them.When either Spags or Devaney is asked a thoughtful football question, I think he answers as frankly & in as much detail as any reasonable fan could realistically expect. That DeSpags walk the talk in terms of team unity by not kowtowing to the gossipmongers is a big plus,imo.So is the impression I get that these guys have a very specific idea of how to turn this team around & the confidence they show in sticking to it is borne out of hard-earned on-the-job training. That's not arrogance, insecurity, or paranoia to me; it's experienced confident leadership with integrity.

macrammer is online now Registered User

You obviously have put much thought into this. And, it is again your opinion. i have mine (as stated) and see no need to "defend" it to you.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I really don't care anymore about the potential of Spags, the way Spags runs around the media, the potential of Devaney, the potential of Long, the potential of J Smith, etc. I'm sick of losing, I'm sick of drafting high, and I am sick of being out of it by the end of September.

Time to shine guys. Put up or shut up time after the Super Bowl. Your staff is in place, no excuse for that in 2010. Your scouting department is in place, no excuse for that in this years draft. Your new trainer is in place, no need to blame anyone for that. Spags, your free pass is over. Time to start winning.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    You obviously have put much thought into this. And, it is again your opinion. i have mine (as stated) and see no need to "defend" it to you.
    Since you refuse to share the reasoning behind your opinion or to counter mine, I have to conclude that you have not put much thought into it or the concept of football as a team sport overall & can't defend your position on any factual basis, rather than not feeling a need to do so. Please consider your opinion noted for what it's worth ...which isn't much on a discussion board but , of course, you are free to do so.

In my experience, vague smugness laced with sarcasm is the fallback position of those who don't know WTF they're talking about or are just venting/looking to redirect their frustration or they just want to sound mysteriously superior & tough by taking a differing, usually negative, position.

I also find the ultimatum type posts to be equally frustrating conversational dead ends. As if Devaney & Spags don't know they need to improve the team's performance ASAP. That last "P' is the key,though.The "I demand results NOW & that's a worthwhile contribution to a discussion/realistic idea of how to get them' mindset smacks of late nite infomercials to me. Fine, the clock is ticking & fans hate seeing their team lose...and water is wet.

Specific to Tx's post; the potential vs reality argument makes no sense to me. Long's potential is already translating into real production.You can argue against the specific moves that DeSpags have made to get that tangible evidence of improvement but the chain of logic is pretty clear to me and so is the relevance of looking at their pedigree when stating that we have very little reason not to believe they know what they are doing. And all the things Tx throws out as arguments to supposedly pull excuses away from them are, ironically, the very real evidence of what these guys have already done.

Just my opinion, of course. I'm sure you won't ask me to defend it.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

This is from the NFC West Blog on ESPN...

Spagnuolo provided more clarity on the picture issue at Rams Park. "When we first got there, there were a lot of pictures up there that were individual pictures," he said. "The gist of what we do is team first, so we changed it a little bit. We took them all down at the beginning, then put them back up in the hallways, little updated pictures, all team-oriented pictures. Now, up on the second floor, there are still a lot of pictures of Kurt (Warner) and Marshall (Faulk) and all kinds of former Rams. But in the auditorium, the actual room where we meet with the players, we have not put the pictures up yet and we are still contemplating what we are going to do. The mindset was that this was a work area, but I have a tremendous amount of respect for the history and the tradition of the Rams and what they did certainly 10 years ago. It wasn't disrespect to any of that. It was just trying to interject nothing but team. Everything in that building was going to be a vision toward, it wasn't going to be about one person, one guy, just team."

Spagnuolo said he would be "more than happy" to speak with former Rams players interested in helping out with coaching.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Thanks for that post Varg. It's too bad Bernie, Faulk, and others didn't do their research and had to be reminded by Spags AGAIN what he made clear months ago regarding the pictures. Sometimes people only listen to what they want to hear and not to the reality that's staring them in the face.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Yeah dude, it seemed kind of strange that they'd take down every photo and of course, from the Journalist perspective, they make Devaney and Spags look terrible when in reality it couldn't be further from the truth.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I really don't care anymore about the potential of Spags, the way Spags runs around the media, the potential of Devaney, the potential of Long, the potential of J Smith, etc. I'm sick of losing, I'm sick of drafting high, and I am sick of being out of it by the end of September.

Time to shine guys. Put up or shut up time after the Super Bowl. Your staff is in place, no excuse for that in 2010. Your scouting department is in place, no excuse for that in this years draft. Your new trainer is in place, no need to blame anyone for that. Spags, your free pass is over. Time to start winning.
    I totally agree with Tx here, they can hang up a picture of the "wheres the beef" lady for all I care, just start winning some football games, last I checked thats what you are all there to do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12