Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

The Bernie on Martz and his illness

This doesn't sound good boys and girls.

sorry I'm slow to report on this, but I'm at Busch Stadium today, tending to off-day interviews in preparation of writing for tomorrow's column-
    -------------------------------------------------

Here's the deal on Martz:

First, a statement from him:

“I have been ill for four or five weeks. Our medical staff is in the process of evaluating a number of diagnostic tests to determine the cause. Dr. (Doug) Pogue suspects a bacterial infection of a heart valve called endocarditis. This can’t be confirmed for a number of days until a series of blood tests are concluded. Diagnosed early, this can be treated through a lengthy series of antibiotics with full recovery.

“However, this infection causes a great deal of fatigue and is somewhat debilitating. Consequently, I will limit my work day as much as possible until I can start to recover. I will not be at practice Wednesday or Thursday. Assistant Head Coach Joe Vitt will act on my behalf when I am unavailable.”

As of right now, Martz definitely plans to coach vs. Seattle on Sunday....that is his intention.... I also know the doctors are warning him to take this seriously -- they've been on his case for a few weeks, telling him he needs more rest. But Martz works 18-hour days (at least). I think he's sufficiently worried now.

I know a lot of people in town hate this guy because he doesn't coach in a way that pleases them, but I hope he gets well, because he's a good guy with a family who loves him.

--B

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: The Bernie on Martz and his illness

Knowing Martz has a serious medical issue on his mind explains a lot.
    It does not excuse anything, but it does explain it. It explains why the players aren't 100% into things. It explains why Martz is fatigued. It explains why his play calling is off.

Glad to hear he will delegate things somewhat. Perhaps that will help out.

Hope ya get better soon, Mike.

BBlades89 is offline Registered User

I hope Mike gets better quickly.

Nice Jacket

RealRam is offline Registered User

Thanks, BBlades89.

Wow, not as light or common of a condition as I initially thought! Like many people, I too have had the typical sinus infection. This is different...

This could be not only serious to Coach Martz -- first and foremost -- but to the Rams. I hope MM recuperates fully.

It's just like adding him to our football injury list. Best wishes Coach!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I know a lot of people in town hate this guy because he doesn't coach in a way that pleases them, but I hope he gets well, because he's a good guy with a family who loves him.
    And part of that family is his team. One thing that has always been clear is that the Ram players genuinely care about and support Mike Martz.

To have something as serious as a heart valve infection and still put in the work, deal with the press and put on a brave face, should be an inspiration to the team. I hope they can give Martz a victory on Sunday, but most importantly, I hope he gets well soon.

dfarrar777 is offline Registered User

Just wanted to add my thoughts and prayers for Mr. Martz. I may "hate" your team, your stadium, your logo, your loudmouthed Mr. Holt and the way you smacked us around last year...but that's all just piffle compared to a man's health, his life and his family.

Get well soon, sir...we have unfinished business.

RealRam is offline Registered User

--Dfarrar777
    Nicely said, 777, ...appreciated too. :up:

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Thanks for your concern Hawkfans.Yous guys got class.I was wondering though;Martz says he wont be on the field for practice,but said he will coach game 5 If he cant Vitt will be on the the field.Now will Vitt draw on our Offensive Coordinator?or will he totally dis him,and do we still have an Offensive coordinator,Heck I cant even remember his name.I sure the heck knew who Martz was when D.V.was head coach.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

Hasselbeck8MVP is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dfarrar777
    Just wanted to add my thoughts and prayers for Mr. Martz. I may "hate" your team, your stadium, your logo, your loudmouthed Mr. Holt and the way you smacked us around last year...but that's all just piffle compared to a man's health, his life and his family.

Well said.

Hope Martz has a full and healthy recovery.

majorram is offline Registered User

Nice to see the Hawks fans on here!!

You know I just hope Martz gets well..... football is second to someones health!!!
    get well soon buddy we NEED you!!!

steve:clanram:

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

I hope that Martz does take this health issue seriously. He should have people in place that can handle the team. There is a lot of stress related to coaching a team and he should take himself out of the game just like he would any other player on the team. Fatigue is not good for quick decision making.

Get better Mike. Do what the doctors tell you to do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by psycho9985
    Thanks for your concern Hawkfans.Yous guys got class.I was wondering though;Martz says he wont be on the field for practice,but said he will coach game 5 If he cant Vitt will be on the the field.Now will Vitt draw on our Offensive Coordinator?or will he totally dis him,and do we still have an Offensive coordinator,Heck I cant even remember his name.I sure the heck knew who Martz was when D.V.was head coach.
    From what I've read and heard, Fairchild takes the offense, Marmie takes the defense, and everything funnels through Vitt. The question is: Does Vitt take the reins and put his stamp on it or will he be just a mouthpiece for the two coordinators?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RAMBLE_ON is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    From what I've read and heard, Fairchild takes the offense, Marmie takes the defense, and everything funnels through Vitt. The question is: Does Vitt take the reins and put his stamp on it or will he be just a mouthpiece for the two coordinators?
    Great question, it would be interesting to find out.

But let's assume Martz can't go. If Fairchild takes the reins on the offence with Vitt possible making the final call on the field, and the RAMS run a more balanced attack and the defense steps up and they win the game outright, will that directly impact Martz and his coaching dilemmas? alot of if's, and's and but's...

GO RAMS

Tailgage-Mayor is offline Registered User

Thanks to the Seahawk fan, classy comment.

Martz showed he’s got guts by playing hurt. If the team has half as much guts as their coach we’ll see a great effort on the field Sunday.

This is a gut check for the team, time to show what you’re made of………

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMBLE_ON
    Great question, it would be interesting to find out.

But let's assume Martz can't go. If Fairchild takes the reins on the offence with Vitt possible making the final call on the field, and the RAMS run a more balanced attack and the defense steps up and they win the game outright, will that directly impact Martz and his coaching dilemmas? alot of if's, and's and but's...

GO RAMS
    No, it dosen't reflect on Martz or yes it really shows that he has this team prepared.

Can go either way with this argument. Bottom line: The players love playing for Martz and hopefully they will step and play lights out for their beloved coach. The fans can hate him, the media can despise him, but to a man (well, Turley excluded) the players love playing for Martz. Just like last week, the players were saying "here comes another Seattle" when were down in the second half. They love playing for Martz and I hope it really shows this week.

Get well Mike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast