Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    gap Guest

Re: Bernie, negligent retention, and the missing piece to the Samir Suleiman story

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime
    Its interesting that this comes within the same week that Martz bans a local news radio station KFNS from his press conferences. Martz is starting to look pretty silly here in st. louis. I love the guy and back him 100%, but its becoming difficult to defend him. KFNS is the number 1 sports radio station in stlouis right now. I fear that if the Rams are not successful this year, that he could finally be on his way out! Then I ask, who would we get to replace him? I dont want to think of what our options would be.
    I could be wrong, but IMO, the team just hasn't been the same since AL Saunders left. Maybe he is ready for a HC gig???

gap

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Bernie, negligent retention, and the missing piece to the Samir Suleiman story

I just read on another site that this issue was being discussed by the King of Tabloid Sports Talk - Jim Rome.

Isn't what this is all about in the end...? Bern-ME takes what was likely a poor attempt at humor by a mid-level Ram exec., spins it into a story about a "threat," and gets some publicity for himself.

Here's a word of advice to the entire Ram organization: DON'T LEAVE BERN-ME VOICE MAIL MESSAGES!!!!! (if you recall, Bern-ME based a prior article on a phone message from Martz).

BernieM is offline Registered User

Avengurramm, yuor just jelluss becaws Im such a grate riter and yur not!

Besides, how cann yew say that the storry wasnt newsswurthy? He left thu messagge on my voyse male!!! How darre hee! Dusn't hee noe who I amm!?!!

Im Bernie freakin' M. And dont forget it or Ill stabb your dogg tew deth with ann ice picck!!!!

GameTime is offline Registered User

Avenger,

KFNS has been complaining and stating the opposite that they are not allowed to his press conferences. I hope you are correct though. Again its odd and something may be missing if there are completely opposite stories.

Well, I can't vouch for the truth, but here's what Hadley said about it yesterday on his website:

Tuesday, September 13
    JUST THE FACTS 12:19:35 CDT

Excuse me for exposing the ending to a building drama, but in the interest of factual representation, I wanted to make sure that the masses are aware that claims by Kevin Slaten during a broadcast on KFNS are completely misrepresented and blatant mistruths.
    While many media members insisted that it was best to allow Mr. Slaten to make his claims because he simply desires attention, I want to make sure the facts are presented.
    Mr. Slaten has not been informed that he is banned from Rams Park and the Rams didn't specifically ban him from broadcasting press conferences from Rams Park. Lastly, Mr. Slaten never received a phone call from anybody at Rams Park informing him he would be charged with trespassing if he came to Rams Park.
    Mr. Slaten is more than welcome at Rams Park. In fact, I personally invite Mr. Slaten to attend press conferences at Rams Park. His presence and questions would be more than welcomed.
    In fact, to further assist Mr. Slaten in his attempt to cover the Rams, I'll also invite the likes Leonard Little and Steven Jackson to attend the press conference on Monday allowing Mr. Slaten to query them on his contention that they're (politely paraphrasing) too loud and obnoxious on the field.

Once again, I repeat, Mr. Slaten hasn't been banned, hasn't been threatened with trespassing action, nor was he singled out in the decision to keep in-house press conferences the broadcast property of the Rams' website.
    If he was seeking attention, I've obliged by making sure the facts are presented and extending him an offer to attend press conferences at Rams Park to voice his opinions with the players and pose questions to Coach Mike Martz. Last those attempting to paint KFNS with broad stokes based on Mr. Slaten's actions are too misrepresenting the facts, a half-dozen KFNS staff members on occasion attend Rams press conferences and practices throughout the season with two members of the KFNS staff being "regulars." I hope to see Mr. Slaten this coming Monday.

Tailgage-Mayor is offline Registered User

While I don't agree with the Rams banning KFNS from carrying the Martz press conference live, I can guess why the Rams took this action.

If you've ever listened to "The Bottom Line" on KFNS, especially now that Claiborne is gone, Slatin is really over the top. Slating just tries to be a "Shock Jox", and makes unfounded statements blowing everything out of proportion.

I switched to 1380am.

My 2 cents.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Isn't what this is all about in the end...? Bern-ME takes what was likely a poor attempt at humor by a mid-level Ram exec., spins it into a story about a "threat," and gets some publicity for himself.
    I don't know how someone can leave a message that said what Samir's did - "I'm not a back-stabber, I'm a goddamn throat slasher, and he'll know the difference before it's all said and done." - and mean it to be a poor attempt at humor. If that was the case, you shouldn't blame Bernie for running with it, but rather blame Samir for his attempt.

Oh come now, Nick. You are approaching 5,000 posts on this board, and have probably read 5 times as many, and you still can't grasp the concept of people attempting to say something funny and failing miserably?

Bernie said nothing about the guy's tone or the context of the statement (Was it the whole message? Who knows?).

Bernie said nothing about the guy's tone or the context of the statement (Was it the whole message? Who knows?).
    He shouldn't have to. If Samir's idea of a joke is calling up a local reporter and saying the kind of things he did say, then I still don't see how you can blame Bernie for reporting it. You don't say those kind of comments as a joke, especially in that circumstance. This one falls all on Samir.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

It's bad judgement for an Executive of any Organization. I wonder if we wouldn't be better off without Samir the throat-slasher.

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    He shouldn't have to. If Samir's idea of a joke is calling up a local reporter and saying the kind of things he did say, then I still don't see how you can blame Bernie for reporting it. You don't say those kind of comments as a joke, especially in that circumstance. This one falls all on Samir.
    I'm not condoning the comment. It was inappropriate, regardless of the tone, context or intent.

I'm just suggesting that there may be another side to this story, and Bernie has no interest whatsoever in reporting that other side. He just wants to stir up a hornet's nest, which he has done.

Again, my point is, if this was a true "threat," I find it hard to believe that Suleiman would not have been summarily fired. Because he was merely reprimanded, I must believe that there is more to it than what Bernie has reported.

I'm just suggesting that there may be another side to this story, and Bernie has no interest whatsoever in reporting that other side. He just wants to stir up a hornet's nest, which he has done.
    So there could be multiple sides of this story as it relates to the Rams' employees, but as it relates to Bernie, there's only one option - he has no interest in reporting the other side, and he just wanted to stir up the hornets nest?

C'mon, Av. We all know you hate Bernie, but I know you can be a bit more objective and fair about this one.

I'm being entirely objective.

Objectively, this story has absolutely no bearing on the Rams' success or failure. Its mere Soap Opera.

Plus, its part of an ugly pattern with Bernie - he always seems to need to make himself part of the story, rather than just the reporter or commentator.

Reminds me of the movie Broadcast News, when the shallow reporter played by William Hurt has the camera show him tearing up during an interview of a rape victim and his fellow reporter (Albert Brooks) sarcastically quips "Yes, that's great. Let's always remember that we're the story, not them!"
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -09-14-2005 at 10:48 PM.

Alright man, whatever you say. :up:

You don't have to agree with me, Nick. You're entitled to your opinion. Just don't tell me that mine is based solely on a subjective bias simply because you don't agree.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast