Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Bernie, negligent retention, and the missing piece to the Samir Suleiman story

I didn't say it was solely based on subjective bias, nor was I saying it simply because I don't agree with your opinion. But you've not hidden the fact that you dislike Bernie, and personally, I think it's showing here. Like you said, it's just my opinion.

I don't particularly care for the guy's stuff either, but if I'm a reporter and someone from the organization called me and left me that kind of message after an article I ran about people stabbing the Rams' coach in the back, I'd probably run it to alert people of what's going on.

You said this story has absolutely no bearing on the Rams' success or failure. I'm not so sure. There's more to a team's success than what happens on the field, IMO.

That's just my two cents. Not much more I can contribute to the topic, so I'll bow out.
    Last edited by Nick; -09-14-2005 at 11:03 PM.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Bernie, negligent retention, and the missing piece to the Samir Suleiman story

If you (or anyone else) thinks that the Samir Suleiman has a significant impact on the Rams' on-field performance, we can just agree to disagree.

Bernie could have saved the tape of the message and then conducted an investigation. He could have discussed the matter with Shaw and then reported on the whole story.

Instead, he told just a part of it, with no perspective at all.

That's not good reporting. That's tabloid journalism.

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Bernie is just another (cough cough)reporter after the samething they all are.
    Wow I can make this a big story.
    Its gonna get National attention.
    Man My name is gonna be all over the country.
    Everybody will want to talk to me.
    This is gonna make a name for me.
    I can see the Pulitzer prize nomination allready.
    What a Dip s...

LOL
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

AV is right. He should have reported it to John Shaw,but that would be responsible.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

moklerman is offline Registered User

I'm gonna have to side with Nick on this one. Whether or not Bernie M. was muckraking or tabloid reporting is irrelevant in this case. Actually, for the Rams exec to stoop to Bernie's level just illustrates what Bernie was trying to report in his article on in-fighting at Rams Park.

No one has denied that the existance of the message or the content, so to me it seems that Bernie may have hit the nail on the head with his opinion. The front office has never been known as a place of harmony so I don't know why this would be any kind of surprise to anyone.

Saying Bernie should have just kept quiet about the message is beyond naive in my opinion. I mean, what exactly do you think reporters do?

I never said that Bernie should have kept quiet about it. I guess you didn't bother to actually read my posts.

What I said is that Bernie should have gone to Shaw (and, possibly, others in the organization) gotten a response, and then reported the WHOLE story. That would have been a journalistic response.

Instead, he just printed a "hey, check out this voice mail message" comment that provided only part of the story.

Let's make this real simple for those who think I'm just doing this because I don't like Bernie.

(A) - Samir DID leave the message as reported.

(B) - Nonetheless, he received a mere reprimand.

(A) and (B) DON'T ADD UP!

Possible explanations:

1. Shaw's a fool who can't grasp how serious a threatening comment like that is.
    2. The message was left in a sarcastic or joking tone (i.e. a really bad joke) and has been blown way out of proportion.

If you believe its #1, fine. I can't tell you you are wrong. I can only say I disagree.

Choice #2 seems far more logical to me.

moklerman is offline Registered User

2. The message was left in a sarcastic or joking tone (i.e. a really bad joke) and has been blown way out of proportion.
    I still think you're missing the point. The fact that this guy left a message on a voicemail in such bad taste is a black eye for the organization. Your limited possibilities as to what really happened aren't accurate in my opinion either.

I think the likely situation is that the Rams don't want to fire him on the spot because that would be admitting to his wrong-doing. By repremanding him, it gives the appearance that the incident isn't really that bad and it's being misinterpreted.

All in all, the guy who left the message doesn't seem to have a brain in his head. At the very least he has no grasp of interacting with the media. If the message was intended as spoken, he should probably be locked up before he hurts someone. If it was in jest, he should be fired for being a public relations nightmare. And, as far as the message being left in jest, I really don't believe that was the case. This guy seems to be very specific about his response to Bernie's article about backstabbing at Rams Park.

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    I still think you're missing the point. The fact that this guy left a message on a voicemail in such bad taste is a black eye for the organization.
    How many times do I have to say that what Samir did was wrong before people will stop suggesting that I thought it was okay?

I think the likely situation is that the Rams don't want to fire him on the spot because that would be admitting to his wrong-doing. By repremanding him, it gives the appearance that the incident isn't really that bad and it's being misinterpreted.
    So, essentially, a partial cover-up. Possible. Though I don't buy it.

All in all, the guy who left the message doesn't seem to have a brain in his head. At the very least he has no grasp of interacting with the media. If the message was intended as spoken, he should probably be locked up before he hurts someone. If it was in jest, he should be fired for being a public relations nightmare. And, as far as the message being left in jest, I really don't believe that was the case. This guy seems to be very specific about his response to Bernie's article about backstabbing at Rams Park.
    No doubt the guy is guilty of massive stupidity. I'm just not convinced he should be treated as a violent person.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Too bad Bernie doesn't post the message in it's entirety so we can all listen to the tone and put it into context. Come on Bernie, you owe it to us as a registered member!

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Wow! I am really out of touch with the top decision makers at Rams Park.

Samir has coached where in the past?

Samir has drafted who in the past?

Samir has signed what FA's?

Samir knows football?

Who in the hell is Samir Suleiman?

Never heard of him. Maybe he is the towel boy?

I'm not sure what in the sam hell this has to do with the Rams running game being totally ineffective with Manu in the backfield.

Manu is simply in the way back there.

It looks like a damn cluster **** with him in the backfield. Not only that, I think the Rams ran the ball nearly every time Manu lined up in front of Jackson.

Certainly a LB with the intellegence level of Samir could figure out it is going to be a run because Manu is in the backfield.

And not to mention Bulger throwing so many errant passes, holding the ball too long and flat out missing wide open receivers.

Quick someone get ahold of Bernie or Samir and see if Bulger's shoulder is really ok!!

Nice to see Bernie is taking the situation seriously. Here's a quote from him on his board:

Actually, one reader wrote to me to offer this suggestion for improving the Rams' special teams: ]

Put Samir on the kicking teams.
    Nice to see that he feels just fine printing something that could have gotten the guy fired, then making a joke about it a few days later.

What a putz.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123