r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Bernie: No Reason For Bulger To Return

01.07.2010 10:59 am
    No Reason for Bulger to Return
    By Bernie Miklasz

Marc Bulger doesnít need this and the Rams donít need him: As Jim Thomas reported in todayís Post-Dispatch, the Ramsí battered QB is thinking about retiring. If Bulger does retire, we wish him well. If Bulger doesnít retire, then he should hope to latch on with a quality team, spend some time as a good backup, and let his body heal. But the worst thing Bulger can do is return to the Rams. It makes absolutely no sense for either side. The Rams wonít be in a position to win in 2010, and Bulger couldnít help them. All he would do is absorb more of a pounding and probably get hurt again. He is not a difference maker in a rebuilding situation, but could be an effective quarterback when surrounded by good working parts. The Rams arenít there yet. If they bring in a new veteran QB to handle the job for a couple of years until a youngster is ready, it should be someone who is mobile, someone who can give the offense a different kind of dimension. Itís just time to move on. If the Rams canít find a better option than Bulger at this stage of Bulgerís career, then GM Billy Devaney isnít doing his job. Bulger signed a six-year, $62.5 million deal in the summer of 2007. He received $27 million guaranteed. Since signing the deal heís 5-31 as a starter and ranks (minimum 25 starts) 29th among NFL QBs in passer rating, 29th in completion percentage, 30th in YPA. He has the 26th-worst INT rate and the 30th-poorest TD rate. It isnít all of his fault, of course. The offense around Bulger went bad, and there wasnít much he could do except get sacked 89 times over the last three seasons. Thereís been too much damage. If the Rams invite Bulger back, itíll give fans another reason to decline the pitch to buy season tickets.

Aussie Dave is offline Registered User

Re: Bernie: No Reason For Bulger To Return

i wish the best for him.
    while i always wished he was a leader type who would command everyones attention, and i also have been growing more disappointed in his play in recent years, i have always liked the guy.
    i would like to see him finish his career on a higher note.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Wish him well, he had some great years with us.. I'm a Bulger fan.

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

RamsFanSam: No reason for Bernie to return.

The world already has enough gossip columnists.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I dont understand how a professional sportswriter could fail to make the point that 2010 is likely to be an uncapped year, meaning the cap implications of bulger leaving at this point are likely none. If there is a cap in 2010, what would be the cap hit for bulger leaving, given the unamortized portion of the bonus over the length of the contract. That cap situation is at the core of the "he cant help the rams" comment. If they cut him and it costs us several million in cap availabilty, that certainly hurts the rams.

I think bulger is gone because given the uncertainty of the team being for sale, and the fact that we arent ready to win, along with the uncapped year, why should the rams pay his salary next year if its not guaranteed at this point. THe signing bonus is gone, but i think the rams will be looking for a lot less expensive option at qb, in addition to a more mobile one.

I seriously wouldnt count out the chance of vick in a rams uniform. I am not making a judgment on it, just saying that i dont think its out of the question.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

He has a point. If Bulger wants to keep playing so he can make a playoff run or the like, there are probably places where his odds would be better. Playing for the Rams, the question becomes whether the beatings and stress of being blamed for losses is worth the money. Of course, it is an awful lot of money.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I dont understand how a professional sportswriter could fail to make the point that 2010 is likely to be an uncapped year, meaning the cap implications of bulger leaving at this point are likely none. If there is a cap in 2010, what would be the cap hit for bulger leaving, given the unamortized portion of the bonus over the length of the contract. That cap situation is at the core of the "he cant help the rams" comment. If they cut him and it costs us several million in cap availabilty, that certainly hurts the rams.

I think bulger is gone because given the uncertainty of the team being for sale, and the fact that we arent ready to win, along with the uncapped year, why should the rams pay his salary next year if its not guaranteed at this point. THe signing bonus is gone, but i think the rams will be looking for a lot less expensive option at qb, in addition to a more mobile one.

I seriously wouldnt count out the chance of vick in a rams uniform. I am not making a judgment on it, just saying that i dont think its out of the question.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Does an uncapped year really mean that Bulger's guaranteed money is no longer actually guaranteed, though? If not, that still leaves a huge golden handshake still to be handed out if he's cut.

Hard to say exactly how huge but I think he got a $12 mill signing bonus as part of that $27 mill guaranteed. Even assuming he got another chunk of that in '09, it still leaves millions that have yet to be actually paid.

Previously unknown aspects of the CBA in the event of a failure to extend or renew seem to be popping up out of the fine print all the time so maybe I'm talking out the wazoo.

As to BM's assessment of the team , I really can't be bothered to debunk such drivel. His lack of football acumen in general & understanding of what's currently going on with this team in particular never ceases to amaze me.

I agree on Vick with the same no-judgement caveat. TV revenue may well be a factor in this QB decision & I think Vick would probably enhance that considerably at least in the short term
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -01-09-2010 at 03:09 PM.

laramsfan73 is offline Registered User

I'm not so sure about Bulger leaving. If he wants to play next year, I don't think there will be many takers unless Bulger is willing to take less money in a bargain agreement another team can't pass up. I also don't think that other teams will want to take a chance on him. I think this is where the retirement rumor is coming from. As for Vick coming to the Rams, WHY on earth would he want to go to St. Louis? Money would definitely be the ultimate reason, but my impression of Mike Vick has always been one in which he thinks primarily of himself (ie Deion Sanders). That's my opinion, of course. Simply put, in the Rams' present state, if Bulger can't help the Rams, then I seriously doubt Mike Vick could help them much, either. Personally, I'd rather Bulger stayed and finished his career in St. Louis while a younger QB waits. Bulger understands that the Rams are rebuilding.
    Last edited by laramsfan73; -01-09-2010 at 03:41 PM. Reason: spelling

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    RamsFanSam: No reason for Bernie to return.

The world already has enough gossip columnists.

amen! ......

HornyRam is offline Registered User

Even though I consider Bernie to be a fat twit, I generally agree with the opinions he has expressed in this brief.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Azul, i dont really see how TV money matters in a vick decision since the TV contract is national and all the teams share in the money. I think however its a good point that ticket sales might be positively impacted by signing vick as he will add some excitement (assuming the protesters dont outweigh the fans)

You are correct that guaranteed money doesnt impact the cap vs no cap analysis. I thought, however, that the guaranteed portion of the money had already been paid and its mainly a salary issue at this point. I may be wrong on that, and would love to know the definitive facts. My main point was that to the extent the cash is gone, this would be the time to cut him since you dont have the cap hit. Either way, its a point that bernie should have discussed in the article since its certainly relevant to the discussion and something his intelligent readers should want to know.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Azul, i dont really see how TV money matters in a vick decision since the TV contract is national and all the teams share in the money. I think however its a good point that ticket sales might be positively impacted by signing vick as he will add some excitement (assuming the protesters dont outweigh the fans)

You are correct that guaranteed money doesnt impact the cap vs no cap analysis. I thought, however, that the guaranteed portion of the money had already been paid and its mainly a salary issue at this point. I may be wrong on that, and would love to know the definitive facts. My main point was that to the extent the cash is gone, this would be the time to cut him since you dont have the cap hit. Either way, its a point that bernie should have discussed in the article since its certainly relevant to the discussion and something his intelligent readers should want to know.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Given the lengths to which teams go to ensure sellouts, I think their share of that tv money is linked to them.

But I'm admittedly just guessing; nobody seems to know how that works or how big the pie is, inc The NFLPA, hence the CBA problem.

You may be right about the money & The Rams have shown a willingness to take short term hits financially for long term strategic gains anyway. Btw, when looking for some definitive answer, I found a weird site called salary(dash)money(dot)com. I doubt their numbers are totally accurate but the financial clock thing is mesmerizing , nonetheless. Sickening but fascinating.

I think Bulger will probably go as well but I don't think it is as clear cut a good thing for either party as ole Bowel Movement makes out. I certainly hope that it is a football decision, not a financial one. And I double-doubt that the stats/half-baked analysis that BM offers will be the basis of it even if The Rams will weigh football over finance.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Before even reading this article I can think of one reason he should return.

He is BY FAR the best quarterback on our roster.

Unless we can pick up a FA better then him, why let him go.

If we draft a rookie he needs a year to learn the offense. Bulger should start that year.
    Last edited by FestusRam; -01-10-2010 at 06:20 PM.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

And also i just think Bernie has about as much football smarts as a fifth grader.