Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    STLRAMSFAN Guest

Re: Bernie: Not looking good on Bates

Quote Originally Posted by tanus
    this might be the worst post ive ever read on this board.
    Thats fine then name one thing that you would say Martz was good at besides his QB's and the passing game as HC.

tanus is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by STLRAMSFAN
    Thats fine then name one thing that you would say Martz was good at besides his QB's and the passing game as HC.
    i guess you forgot when he rebuilt the defense in 2001 and brought in Lovie Smith as a DC to get us back to the super bowl?

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tanus
    i guess you forgot when he rebuilt the defense in 2001 and brought in Lovie Smith as a DC to get us back to the super bowl?
    Cmon that wasn't enough for some people. *Sarcasm Alert*
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    What next, NFL gay players kissing on the mouth. To me it is S.O.S.: simply/obscene/sickening. Rest assured I will never cheer for a known homo player

chiguy is offline Registered User

I don't know how you can give Martz too much credit for the 2001 D. He was pretty much forced to make a change by the front office. And once Lovie left, it completely fell apart again. Plus, that point boils down to this: "Martz's defense only stunk about half the time while he was coach."

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy
    I don't know how you can give Martz too much credit for the 2001 D. He was pretty much forced to make a change by the front office. And once Lovie left, it completely fell apart again. Plus, that point boils down to this: "Martz's defense only stunk about half the time while he was coach."
    Are you F'ing kidding me???? He was the g** d*** head coach, thats why. If you are going to blame him for the problems of the D then give him the credit when the D performs well. Let me guess, you probably want to give all the credit to Vermeil for the offense then too, right?

If you are going to crucify him for hiring Marmie, then praise him for hiring Lovie Smith. My good god.
    Last edited by HUbison; -01-23-2006 at 03:46 PM.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I really hope the chicken littles don't come out should the Rams hire someone whose last name isn't "Bates." He'd be a great hire, but he's certainly not the only option out there if the Rams want to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy
    And once Lovie left, it completely fell apart again.
    Defense showed signs of trouble well before Lovie officially left.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    I really hope the chicken littles don't come out should the Rams hire someone whose last name isn't "Bates." He'd be a great hire, but he's certainly not the only option out there if the Rams want to succeed.
    Sad to say but they already have Nick.
    What next, NFL gay players kissing on the mouth. To me it is S.O.S.: simply/obscene/sickening. Rest assured I will never cheer for a known homo player

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Sad to say but they already have Nick.
    truly sad, but whats even sadder is that it isn't the least bit surprising.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

No, not surprising.

What concerns me a little is that as soon as it's revealed that we have a DC who isn't Bates it'll be the 'night of the long knives' for Linehan.

The only reason it hasn't started yet is that they are pleased he's not Martz.

We'll find ourselves defending a man who hasn't coached a regular season game yet.

I see AV has started a thread on this subject already and he's not wrong.

Patience gentlefolk, patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang
    What concerns me a little is that as soon as it's revealed that we have a DC who isn't Bates it'll be the 'night of the long knives' for Linehan.
    It's ridiculous is what it is.

Bates is the best thing since sliced bread didn't you hear? Anyone else is just crumbs. *sarcasm alert*

general counsel is offline Registered User

"The defense fell apart as soon as lovie left"

Whoever made that statement, did you happen to watch the rams give up over 500 yards of offense and 250 plus yards rushing in the carolina playoff game while lovie made NO ADJUSTMENTS.

Bottom line is that the "defense fell apart" as soon as the offense stopped scoring points like crazy. Once the defense was no longer playing with big leads, it was out and out lousy. we have never been particulary good at stopping the run and saying that lovie was a great coordinator misses the fact that both damione lewis (passing on marcus stroud) and jamie duncan were his guys. Martz and the front office were equally responsible for the aeneas williams trade. If you want to give lovie credit for input into that deal thats fine, but claiming that lovie rebuilt the defense on his own and then had it collapse when he left just is not factually accurate.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    "The defense fell apart as soon as lovie left"

Whoever made that statement, did you happen to watch the rams give up over 500 yards of offense and 250 plus yards rushing in the carolina playoff game while lovie made NO ADJUSTMENTS.

Bottom line is that the "defense fell apart" as soon as the offense stopped scoring points like crazy. Once the defense was no longer playing with big leads, it was out and out lousy. we have never been particulary good at stopping the run and saying that lovie was a great coordinator misses the fact that both damione lewis (passing on marcus stroud) and jamie duncan were his guys. Martz and the front office were equally responsible for the aeneas williams trade. If you want to give lovie credit for input into that deal thats fine, but claiming that lovie rebuilt the defense on his own and then had it collapse when he left just is not factually accurate.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

boom! excellent post GC

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

We've had a problem with our D since Fritz Shurmur (God rest his soul) left to go to the packers. We weren't dominating then either.

I wax nostalgic and get teary eyed when I think of Kevin Greene and the 'Eagle' defense................

I'd really like to see us give someone a good scudding on D next season and establish some kind of identity.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12