Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Bernie press box: Marshall: on Haslet , Rams Players

Post subject: Marshall Faulk on Haslett, Rams Players
    Posted: 20 Nov 2008 16:09 pm
    Marshall Faulk was on ESPN 1000 in Chicago today and was asked about Rams players speaking out in support of Jim Haslett coming back as coach.

Here's the transcript:

Tom Waddle: "Marc Bulger and some other Rams players have come out and endorsed Jim Hasslet as the coach for future years. Thoughts on that and job Hasslet has done."

Faulk's response:

"What do they know? Ya know like let's endorse some better play, how about that? Ya know, let's endorse like interceptions or something. Or some pass blocking or let's endorse touchdowns. What are they gonna endorse a coach(for?) I hear you they might want to keep him because they don't want turnover, but I mean something has to be done right.

"I sit here and I have no business looking at St. Louis because of the game that we have tonight with Cincinnati and Pittsburgh, but I can't help but stare at just their defensive stats just to see where they're at and it's like this guy was responsible for a defense that was 30th in total defense 30th in points per game 29th against the run I mean how do you get a head coaching job with that?

"If that's the case what kind of criteria do you need to be a head coach. I just don't understand what goes on in the league, but if the Rams feel like he's the guy than they should go with him and I will support whatever they do regardless win lose or draw I'm a Ram I suffer when they suffer and I'm with them I hurt when they hurt all and all but ya know it's just tough to see. There's a lot of young coaches and old coaches that are in the league that are on teams that can help situations and maybe they need a chance, who knows."

-B

Truth is offline Registered User

Re: Bernie press box: Marshall: on Haslet , Rams Players

The man's got a point. However, I still say it will be difficult to do anything with this team, or attract a top notch coach (and FAs) until the FO is dealt with.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

I agree. Haslett is tough, which is good, but he isn't much of a coach. He wasn't very good in NO and our D, which is terrible, was built by him

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

Marshall, I echo your thoughts & your feelings. Glad to know you still care about this franchise.
    He's right about the defense, How do we consider Haslett for the job when we are constantly getting torched they we do? I just can't endorse a coaching staff that can't be at least some what competitive. How do we embrace this mess? We don't, we clean house. It's the only way to rid the virus of losing.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I'm still for giving him one year. Let him build his team up. It's only fair....

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    I'm still for giving him one year. Let him build his team up. It's only fair....
    I'm not bashing you Moose, but what good is one year going to do? You cannot build a team in one year. Whether we keep Haslett or bring in someone new, they need 2-3 years minimum

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Fair, Fair? Sorry but I,m not about being fair. I'm simply tired of the same results year in & year out ( Our defense being torched ) This falls squarely on Haslett in my opinion. He has had 3 years to at least put together some resemblance of a top tier defense and all I see is the same defense getting gashed for major yards on the ground. Enough is enough it's time for change & by change I mean a major overhaul. If that takes 2-3 years so be it.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD413 View Post
    I'm not bashing you Moose, but what good is one year going to do? You cannot build a team in one year. Whether we keep Haslett or bring in someone new, they need 2-3 years minimum
    The same question was asked of Vermeil in '98.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    The same question was asked of Vermeil in '98.
    you're not really comparing apples to apples here. Vermeil had already been the HC for a couple of years.

I think there are fair points to be made on both sides of the Haslett issue. Unfortunately, IMHO the most compelling reason to keep him at this point is just the lack of direction the team has as a whole. That won't change until issues with the FO and Ownership are cleared up. It's just going to be real hard to attract a quality coach to this circus. I really don't think his record here (as Faulk pointed out) offers us enough reasons to hire him as a HC. If the FO offered up another name, with the same credentials over the past few years, this board would be going insane.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD413 View Post
    I agree. Haslett is tough, which is good, but he isn't much of a coach. He wasn't very good in NO and our D, which is terrible, was built by him
    Not to mention the D in New Orleans was consistently bad under him despite the first rounders used on that side (Charles Grant, Jonathan O'Sullivan, Will Smith) and his success in getting the most out of his group is basically the same result here in St. Louis. We need a clean slate regardless of any circumstance in order to start anew, IMO.

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

Mr. Faulk, please come coach our team. That is a sincere comment.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    The man's got a point. However, I still say it will be difficult to do anything with this team, or attract a top notch coach (and FAs) until the FO is dealt with.
    Truth,

sorry but that is "BS"....There are 32 head coaching positions and the Rams obviously have one "up for grabs" this offseason. In a normal year, there are 3-5 jobs open each year. Ok, never mind, I see now you say "until the front office is dealt with"........well, of course you are right and the Rams must get a whole new front office if they want to right this ship.

But back to coaching and Head coaching job...

Now, I will agree that Rams probably won't attract a "Cowher" or a "Schottenheimer" but there are plenty of fantastic NFL Offensive and Defensive Coordinators that would be great head coaches. Just look at the job Mike Smith is doing in Atlanta, the job John Harbaugh is doing in Baltimore and Jim Zorn in Washington - all "rookie" head coaches - all with winning records right now and a "shot" to make the playoffs their first year.

Great looking candidates for head coaching jobs for 2009 include Steve Spagnuolo(Giants Def. Coordinator), Jim Schwartz(Titans Def. Coordinator), Leslie Frazier (Vikings Defensive Coordinator), Josh McDaniels(Patriots Offensive Coordinator), Russ Grimm (Cardinals Asst. HC, Offensive Line Coach)....

I really think the "re-treads" are a mistake because they are not really in it for the long-term and they want too much power in personnel where they have little to no experience. Take it from me a Falcons fan - we landed Dan Reeves (Hall of Fame head coach) in the mid 1990's. To get him, the Falcons gave Reeves total power over the entire football operation. Reeves did get us to the 1998 SuperBowl - for that I am grateful - but Dan Reeves was absolutely HORRIBLE picking the players - out of eight years of drafting and about 65 draft picks - Reeves just had a handful of players that were good - he led the "talent drain" on the Falcons that had continued up until just the last year or two.

I don't think that Schottenheimer nor Cowher would be a very good GM - and they would want the title to come to St. Louis - if they even would.

As far as Jim Haslett goes, color me "unimpressed". He outwardly seems like he would be a good head coach and finally got the Saints a playoff win - but I just don't see "greatness" coming out of Jim Haslett and I don't think he runs that tight of a ship - I know he's "talking the talk" right now in St. Louis - but I think keeping Haslett would be a big mistake. I believe any of the hot assistant coaches I listed above would be an upgrade over Haslett. If I was looking for a head coach, my order of preference would be:

1) Steve Spagnuolo, DC-NY Giants
    2) Jim Schwartz, DC-Tennessee Titans
    3) Russ Grimm, AHC/OL Coach

Obviously, the most important hire is the GM hire - pick a great GM and he will find a great coach!
    Last edited by Falconator; -11-21-2008 at 11:14 PM.

blood85 is offline Registered User

No more freaking coordinators, the rams need someone who's actually been a HEAD COACH....."if you want to crown, them, then crown their A$$, but the bears are who we thought they were, slap the podium... and we let them off the Hook"!!!

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by blood85 View Post
    No more freaking coordinators, the rams need someone who's actually been a HEAD COACH....."if you want to crown, them, then crown their A$$, but the bears are who we thought they were, slap the podium... and we let them off the Hook"!!!
    yeah, what was I thinking?

Obviously the Falcons, Ravens and Redskins are IDIOTS for not taking a head-coaching re-tread........winning records or not!!!!!

maybe you will have a shot at Norv Turner if the Chargers fire him at year-end. He is "perfect" for you blood85 - he has eight years head coaching experience and, if fired by the Chargers, will have been fired three times. Jim Haslett is another perfect candidate for you with head coaching experience...........good luck with your strategy!
    Last edited by Falconator; -11-21-2008 at 11:28 PM.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

"What do they know? Ya know like let's endorse some better play, how about that? Ya know, let's endorse like interceptions or something.
    Is it me or does Marshall have his best "valley girl" speak going on in this statement?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast