r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Bernie: Rams' Arrogance Toward Local Media Is A Puzzler

Rams' arrogance toward local media is a puzzler

Sports Columnist Bernie Miklasz
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/17/2009

Sometimes I wonder if the Rams really do want to move back to Los Angeles.

Sunday, when the Rams played Minnesota at the Edward Jones Dome, the contest was covered by Los Angeles Times columnist T.J. Simers. This wouldn't be worth mentioning, except that Simers didn't sit in the press box. He watched from the suite occupied by Rams general manager Billy Devaney. Simers was personally invited to do so by Devaney.

Interesting. But it fits the pattern at Rams Park. Devaney has become increasingly uncooperative and distant with the local media. The Rams limit access to coach Steve Spagnuolo. The team's nervous first-year media-relations director sits in on harmless interviews in an apparent effort to protect the coach and GM. (From what, exactly?)

In this regard, the Rams are dramatically different from the Cardinals and the Blues. Cardinals owner Bill DeWitt, Blues chairman Dave Checketts, Cardinals GM John Mozeliak, Blues President John Davidson, Blues coach Andy Murray, Cardinals manager Tony La Russa and other key members of these winning organizations are relatively easy to reach and willing to answer questions. Not that these folks are always in a good mood losing and criticism can sting but as a fan you can at least see them, hear them and read their comments. There's little if any hiding.
    Unlike the Rams, the Cardinals and Blues aren't building walls. They run fan-friendly, media-friendly franchises. They get it. The Cardinals and Blues want to speak to the fans, and keep the public informed, and show the customers that they care. And you do that by being accountable and accessible in good times and bad. You take the time to explain your decisions, performances and policies. And the way you do that is to go through the media.

The Rams aren't big on diplomacy. The Rams have lost 32 of 37 games but strut around as if they've won 32 of the last 37 games instead. The arrogance is out of step with reality.

It wasn't surprising that the Rams and Devaney gave the visiting-royalty treatment to the Los Angeles Times. The team's owners live in LA, as does Rams

"consultant" John Shaw. The team may make its profits in St. Louis, but LA is the home base.

And here's the kicker:

Simers quoted a Rams "official" as saying this: "Five years from now, we might be back in L.A. Just imagine that."

Simers as the personal guest of the team's GM ripped the Rams and St. Louis. Simers used the term "embarrassing" to describe the Rams.

Great PR move by Devaney.

That sure worked out well, didn't it?

Let's just hope this franchise is sold soon, and that it ends up in the hands of ownership-management that makes St. Louis a true priority.

READING TIME, 3 MINUTES

Free Alex Pietrangelo.

Call me crazy, but I think the Rams have a good chance to win at Jacksonville on Sunday. The key will be the red zone; Jacksonville has one of the league's worst red-zone defenses. Can the Rams make enough plays on offense to exploit it? We'll see. ... Rams WR Donnie Avery showed a lot of class for apologizing for his silly end-zone dance near the end of the 38-10 loss to Minnesota.

I poked fun at coach Spagnuolo last week for the way he handled offensive tackle Alex Barron, but Barron responded with his best game of the season, so I'll eat my words. In this instance, the coach deserves credit. But will Barron keep this up? ... By the way, it isn't totally hopeless at Rams Park. VP Kevin Demoff is an intelligent and classy individual who tries to do the right thing. ... Defensive end Chris Long, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2008 NFL draft, has only 1.5 combined knockdowns-hurries in the pass rush through the first five games, according to STATS LLC.

Re: Bernie: Rams; Arrogance Toward Local Media Is A Puzzler

How funny is this?

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: Bernie: Rams' Arrogance Toward Local Media Is A Puzzler

"I'm just so sad...why don't they like me?!?!"

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Wow, it took Bernie all of five games to start ripping on the new organization. Saw this one coming from a mile away. I'm sure it's just a coincidence that the Cardinals' baseball season ended last week and Bernie finally has to stop ignoring the Rams.

Since Bernie isn't knowledgeable enough to analyze the football team, his writing depends on negative, divisive drama. Hard to come up with drama when you don't have full access to everybody on the team 24/7. Poor Bernie.

By the way... I think the new organization, particularly Devaney, have been forthcoming enough this season. When was the last time you ever saw a fan chat with Jay Z. or John Shaw? Devaney has done several chats and is quoted often in the media.

Bernie tries to paint it like they're screwing over the fans, but the real reason he's complaining is because he isn't getting his way. Gee, I wonder why that is? Go home and have mommy change your diaper, drama queen.
    Last edited by evil disco man; -10-17-2009 at 11:45 PM.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Shut up Bernie no one cares what you have to say. There is a reason they dont talk to you

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

The Rams will move back to L.A. just like the Raiders did Oakland. watch

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by evil disco man View Post
    Wow, it took Bernie all of five games to start ripping on the new organization. Saw this one coming from a mile away. I'm sure it's just a coincidence that the Cardinals' baseball season ended last week and Bernie finally has to stop ignoring the Rams.

Since Bernie isn't knowledgeable enough to analyze the football team, his writing depends on negative, divisive drama. Hard to come up with drama when you don't have full access to everybody on the team 24/7. Poor Bernie.

By the way... I think the new organization, particularly Devaney, have been forthcoming enough this season. When was the last time you ever saw a fan chat with Jay Z. or John Shaw? Devaney has done several chats and is quoted often in the media.

Bernie tries to paint it like they're screwing over the fans, but the real reason he's complaining is because he isn't getting his way. Gee, I wonder why that is? Go home and have mommy change your diaper, drama queen.
    that pretty much has covered what i would have wanted to say..

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Sounds like Bernie is moaning because he isnt being spoonfed stories by the team and has to actually work to get them.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Normally, I am not as tough on Bernie M. as many others on this forum, but this time I have to express bewilderment. What is he trying to accomplish, here? Why would you write something like this and piss off the very people you want accessibility and fair play from? It seems very misguided, to me.

I am not a working reporter, but nothing from the outside leads me to believe Billy DeVaney is being secretive about much. He's conducted several "chats" answering fan questions and has been forthcoming about many issues involving the state of the club and personnel.As for the ownership situation, that must be allowed to play out; Chip Rosenbloom isn't going to just spill any private/confidential dealings he has with potential suitors- nor should he- just because bernie or fans want to know exactly what's up.

Seems Bernie is starting a fight where none is needed- and he stands to be the only one hurt by it.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

At first, i thought this was another parody. The team is in the middle of an 0-5 skid, and a possible sale is being discussed. The Rush story is a great example of the sensitivities involved in these situations and how they could easily become a distraction for a team of players who just need to focus on their first win.

AlphaRam Guest

Bernie M is a big fat liar.

ScottD413 Guest

Nice Bernie. What a cry baby!

This is news to you? Of course the owners are friendly with the LA media...THEY"RE FROM LA. The team offices are in LA

It doesn't matter who Devaney, Shaw, or Rosenbloom are friends with. The new owners will decide where the team goes, not them.

What was the LA writer supposed to write? That the Rams are great? Of course he ripped them, just like you've been.

Sounds like you're just jealous that you weren't invited to sit with Devaney. Why did you need to write an article about it?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

There's not enough cheese in the world to go with the whine contained in that joke of an article. A new low for Bernie.

So Bernie is attacking Devaney because he isn't invited to sit in the suite like Simers was? Move over Jay Cutler, there's a new cry baby in the nursery.

Funny, but I don't hear any other local media guys whining and fusing about how they're treated by the Rams.