throwback week

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Bernie: Rams Need Much More Than They Will Admit

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: Bernie: Rams Need Much More Than They Will Admit

We have to worry about taking care of OUR business rather than get caught up in what the other divisional teams may or may not be doing. 7-9 is not a great record but it indicates we're not that far off IF (and that's a big "IF") we have another decent draft, Bradford is healthy and we improve where improvements need to be made.

Yes, we need to be better. And yes, we need upgrades at several spots. But I completely disagree with the notion that we're somehow light years behind.

And we should all know by now that mangament and coaches will rarely publicly lament not having the players they need. To the contrary, they will usually express satisfaction with their current guys- whether they're being honest or not. So I place zero stock in Les Snead or anyone else saying they feel we're "OK" at wide receiver.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -01-21-2014 at 10:32 AM.
    MauiRam and laram0 like this.

bradwill is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post
    Bradford is costing the Rams a fortune. He's not going anywhere. Time to stop making excuses about how the 'cupboard is bare' for this guy. This team needs a guy like Mike Evans. Huge target with good hands, not afraid of contact after the catch and most importantly, he FIGHTS to get every ball that comes his way. You can't watch his reel and not believe the Ram's need a kid like this on the offensive side of the ball...and have for some time. We have our speedsters, now the big (6'5"), go-to, possession receiver. Dream scenario, Matthews at #2 and Evans at #13. Offensive problems fully addressed...imo. I seriously doubt he (Evans) falls that far.
    That would be my dream scenario too, but Rams probably would have to trade up to grab Evans because, I agree, I don't think he'll be around #13. I really think they need to grab Matthews at #2 first and foremost.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post
    Bradford is costing the Rams a fortune. He's not going anywhere. Time to stop making excuses about how the 'cupboard is bare' for this guy. This team needs a guy like Mike Evans. Huge target with good hands, not afraid of contact after the catch and most importantly, he FIGHTS to get every ball that comes his way. You can't watch his reel and not believe the Ram's need a kid like this on the offensive side of the ball...and have for some time. We have our speedsters, now the big (6'5"), go-to, possession receiver. Dream scenario, Matthews at #2 and Evans at #13. Offensive problems fully addressed...imo. I seriously doubt he (Evans) falls that far.
    I also agree that fans make to much out of Bradfords cost. Here is another way to look at it. I took three offensives players from the Hawks and from the Rams. All three play the same positions and all three will have a big role on the the teams in 2014.

Russell Wilson $817,302
    Percy Harvin $13,400,000
    Marshawn Lynch $7,000,000

Sam Bradford $17,610,000
    Tavon Austin $2,897,955
    Zac Stacy $539,125

The cost is about the same $21000 K in a cap hit. If Bradford made less would it really change things much or at all? If Sam cost 9K and we had signed Percy for 10K and had Stacy it would be the same cost. I agree we could have been better off if we got Sam under the new CBA no doubt. but we also got a huge break having extra first round picks in the first round after the CBA so it balanced out.
    Last edited by Rambos; -01-21-2014 at 12:28 PM.
    AvengerRam likes this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    As for whether the Rams are "close"... I'd say that, apart from a few train wreck franchises (i.e. Jacksonville, Cleveland, maybe a few others), every team is a good offseason, a year with minimal injuries, and a few lucky bounces away from the playoffs and, once in the tournament... anything can happen.
    That is so true! I remember a team that in consecutive years went 7 & 9, 6 & 10, 5 & 11, 4 & 12, and then lo and behold, 13 & 3. The year that team did have the winning season, its starting quarterback got knocked out for the entire season during a preseason game, and never played a down that counted the entire regular season. You just never know.

Obviously a team that drafts well consistently year to year, will accrue more talent than teams which for whatever reasons (Jerry Jones?) do not draft well. I believe the Rams have drafted well since the Snead/Fish era began, with no interference whatsoever from Stan K. And Stan's wisdom in that arena is IMHO the real reason Jeff chose St. Louis.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I also agree that fans make to much out of Bradfords cost. Here is another way to look at it. I took three offensives players from the Hawks and from the Rams. All three play the same positions and all three will have a big role on the the teams in 2014.

Russell Wilson $817,302
    Percy Harvin $13,400,000
    Marshawn Lynch $7,000,000

Sam Bradford $17,610,000
    Tavon Austin $2,897,955
    Zac Stacy $539,125

The cost is about the same $21000 K in a cap hit. If Bradford made less would it really change things much or at all? If Sam cost 9K and we had signed Percy for 10K and had Stacy it would be the same cost. I agree we could have been better off if we got Sam under the new CBA no doubt. but we also got a huge break having extra first round picks in the first round after the CBA so it balanced out.
    One huge omission my friend. Seattle's three are going to the Superbowl after challenging last year, while we scrap to get to 500.

So needless to say, it appears that their money is a little better spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    One huge omission my friend. Seattle's three are going to the Superbowl after challenging last year, while we scrap to get to 500.

So needless to say, it appears that their money is a little better spent.
    68 million on Percy and he has what 40 yards? Not sure I like that return and I know you don't. I would say they have been drafting better then us over a longer period of time.

68 million on Percy and he has what 40 yards? Not sure I like that return and I know you don't. I would say they have been drafting better then us over a longer period of time.
    You're absolutely right, there's no doubt I'd take Tavon Austin and his contract over Percy Harvin and his.

But needless to say, I'd take Russell Wilson and his contract over Sam Bradford and his, as well as "beastmode" over Stacy at this point, though that is subject to change next year if Stacy continues to progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    You're absolutely right, there's no doubt I'd take Tavon Austin and his contract over Percy Harvin and his.

But needless to say, I'd take Russell Wilson and his contract over Sam Bradford and his, as well as "beastmode" over Stacy at this point, though that is subject to change next year if Stacy continues to progress.
    Russell's contract will change before Stacy. Beastmode is going to slow down sooner then later... and I would take Wilson's deal over Sam's any day of the week, but not sure I would take Russell's second one over Sam's second one.

Came across this one on turfshowtimes Looks like we got a deal on Quinn.

The Rams can keep Robert Quinn for a very long time for very little cost

By Ryan Van Bibber @justRVB on Jan 24 2014, 3:39p 39
    Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

This is the last year of Robert Quinn's rookie deal, except for a fifth-year option ... and maybe a franchise tag after that.
    Tweet (8) Share (88) Share 39 Comments Rec 1

The St. Louis Rams have a decision make about Robert Quinn's future before May 3. That's the deadline for picking up the fifth year option, covering the 2015 season, in his rookie deal, as we discussed last week. We now have a better idea of what that option will cost the Rams. It's a very good deal for the team, and kind of a rip off for a player now entering the prime of his career.

Quinn's option, because he was the 14th pick in the 2011 draft, is based on the average of the third through 25th highest paid players at his position. (It's based on the 10 highest salaries for players picked in the top 10). According to Albert Breer, that option salary will be:

That's a paltry salary, non-guaranteed salary except in the case of injury, for a DPOY candidate and a pass rusher who collected 19 sacks this season. It's a no-brainer that the Rams will pick up his option for 2015 at that price.

Quinn could also lose another year of free agency in 2016 if the Rams were to apply the franchise tag. That would cost around $12 million for a one-year salary.

His original rookie deal was a four-year, $9.4 million contract, with a fifth-year option. The Rams could get five seasons out of Quinn for a grand total of about $16 million ... roughly one year of what it costs to pay Sam Bradford, two players drafted one year apart. Of course, Bradford's since become the poster boy for the ills of the old rookie wage scale, which gave players six-year deals at $78 million, in his case, without ever playing a snap in the NFL.

Say the Rams do franchise Quinn in 2016, and you've got six years of a premier pass rusher for roughly $28 million. That's less than the guaranteed money in the five-year, $60 million contract extension Chris Long signed in 2012, with $36.76 million guaranteed.

You can see why players are upset about the rookie system put in place as part of the 2011 CBA, as Jason Cole noted Friday morning at the National Football Post.

It stinks for Quinn, who gives up some of his prime years of free agent eligibility. Of course, the Rams could sign him to an extension now, but that's not very practical from a cap standpoint when they've got the team's best player at a cut rate price. It's more likely that they'd sign him to a new deal before using the franchise tag; they locked up Long in the last year of his original six-year rookie deal.
    Last edited by Rambos; -01-26-2014 at 03:39 PM.

Russell's contract will change before Stacy. Beastmode is going to slow down sooner then later... and I would take Wilson's deal over Sam's any day of the week, but not sure I would take Russell's second one over Sam's second one.

Came across this one on turfshowtimes Looks like we got a deal on Quinn.
    While I love the news from a team standpoint, I feel awful for Quinn. Hopefully the Rams do right by him so we're not looking at another Eric Dickerson situation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12