Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Bernie: Rams should be held more accountable

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Re: Bernie: Rams should be held more accountable

I look at things where the Rams where a year ago and where they are now. Last year was the start of the Fisher regime; last year the Rams won the majority of the division games; last year the Rams had more holes on both sides of the ball.

This year despite filling a lot of holes have looked more like the Jags; this year the Rams would be lucky to finish the season .500 with division wins; this year the Rams (on paper) are stronger; this year the Rams despite all the improvements in the offseason are doing worst then the previous year.

Those are facts, glaringly ugly facts. The only real bright spot is the win at Indy has sparked the Rams to finish strong. To what point and purpose is a strong finish if its another playoff missed? I suspect most fans would be happy with ending the season at least at .500 or slightly better. However considering what the Rams did last year, many more of us are sorely disappointed. Myself I had hoped for a much stronger showing in division games and their outcomes with more wins to add to the Rams progress

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Much of Bernie's article is very fair.

I am happy we seem to have become a different team the past three games. Hopefully, this continues. I AM NOT happy, however, that it took our starting QB to suffer a season ending injury for us to get our collective heads out of our you-know-whats. We played uninspired and/or bad football in many of the first 7 games. It can't be denied nor sugar-coated.

What we have to hope for is that our young talent continues to develop and guys grow both individually and collectively for the remainder of the season, and in doing so give us renewed hope for a great 2014.

I'm not the most patient guy in the world and can be emotional like many fans, but I can tell you this: Next year I fully expect us to contend for a playoff spot. We have to be one of the best 6 teams in our conference. Though we won't be favorites and provided we have decent health, it's absolutely attainable.

I don't want to hear about our tough schedule.
    I don't want to hear about our tough division.
    I don't want to hear "Sam Bradford is only in his 5th season".
    I don't want to hear "We're still young".
    I don't want to hear "It takes time".

Fisher and Snead will be their 3rd year. And there is no rule that says a team must be a bunch of 8-9 year veterans to win divisions or make the playoffs. Find a way to get it done.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -11-20-2013 at 08:56 PM.

BigGameTH is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Next year I fully expect us to contend for a playoff spot.
    Absolutely agreed. No excuses. Fisher and Snead walked into a good cap situation, with several key quality players(Bradford, Quinn, Long, Laurinaitis), and an amazing draft position. Most new head coaches can't really dream of a better situation to walk in to.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Find a way to get it done.
    Or else...?
    Rambos likes this.

GreatestShow99 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Or else...?
    Empty seats. 10 years is too long to get your you know what together. Especially in a parity heavy league like the NFL.

I don't know that the threat of empty seats means all that much when it comes from fans in New Jersey and Virginia.

What Bernie and some of the fans don't seem to get is that "play better or I'll get even more angry" does not create a system of accountability.
    HUbison and Rambos like this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GreatestShow99 View Post
    Empty seats. 10 years is too long to get your you know what together. Especially in a parity heavy league like the NFL.
    Not sure how that will play when the team is looking to build a mew stadium. Why build it if the fans only show up if we are always winning? I used always because St. Louis did have a nice run of two SB and playoff runs not to long ago. How many SB wins do the Hawks have and their fan base seems to support them though the good and the bad times.

Or else...? Exactly what then. Stop watching them or going to the games if you can? Start blaming the HC. GM or QB more then usual? Demand that the HC is replaced... GM? QB? Then what start all over... Rinse and Repeat.

This year some including Fisher had us making the playoffs. Why would he Photoshop, NFC Divisional Playoffs on the Edwards Dome field show the players and make that our goal if he did not think we could do it?

I'm totally disappoint this year with our record and the play at times. That said what good does it do to make idle threats if we don't make the playoffs next year.

The fact is with statements being made like this one. Next year I fully expect us to contend for a playoff spot. The new regime must be doing something right. If the talent that we have brought in was not looking good no one would have expectations of reaching the playoffs but we do. Why because the team is moving in the right direction for the first time in years.

Not making the playoffs comes with disappointment. Losing in the playoffs comes with bigger disappointment. As football fans we have to manage that every year right?
    Last edited by Rambos; -11-21-2013 at 02:17 PM.

GreatestShow99 is offline Registered User

As a former STLian, I take offense to that. That town has a 50+ year history of losing in the NFL. It would be much worse if not for the 1973-75 Cardinals and GSOT. The Lions have been to the playoffs recently for goodness sake. Again, it shouldn't take an NFL franchise 10+ years to get back to respectability, and if they want to hold it against the fans and leave, then please go..

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GreatestShow99 View Post
    As a former STLian, I take offense to that. That town has a 50+ year history of losing in the NFL. It would be much worse if not for the 1973-75 Cardinals and GSOT. The Lions have been to the playoffs recently for goodness sake. Again, it shouldn't take an NFL franchise 10+ years to get back to respectability, and if they want to hold it against the fans and leave, then please go..
    Since you don't live there now that easy for you to say. Please go, don't you think? I have never been a Cardinals fan so I have no idea what you suffered with them. They did leave town so you got your wish I guess. As far as the 20 years with the Rams the GSOT was a great run right? Look how long the whiners where bad after the late 90's. Whiners had eight years without a winning season, so it happens to all teams. I find it strange that you would hold what the Cardinals did or did not do against the Rams to be honest.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Much of Bernie's article is very fair.

I am happy we seem to have become a different team the past three games. Hopefully, this continues. I AM NOT happy, however, that it took our starting QB to suffer a season ending injury for us to get our collective heads out of our you-know-whats. We played uninspired and/or bad football in many of the first 7 games. It can't be denied nor sugar-coated.
    Agreed. The lipstick may be a pretty color, but the animal still oinks ..

What we have to hope for is that our young talent continues to develop and guys grow both individually and collectively for the remainder of the season, and in doing so give us renewed hope for a great 2014.
    Agreed!

I'm not the most patient guy in the world and can be emotional like many fans, but I can tell you this: Next year I fully expect us to contend for a playoff spot. We have to be one of the best 6 teams in our conference. Though we won't be favorites and provided we have decent health, it's absolutely attainable.
    Agreed that it is attainable with good health. I do not expect us to contend. Rather I am hoping that the 3 year plan will come to fruition by midway through the 2014 season.

I don't want to hear about our tough schedule.
    Fair enough.

I don't want to hear about our tough division.
    Im glad to be in it! To be the best you must be able to beat the best.
    I don't want to hear "Sam Bradford is only in his 5th season".
    Agreed on this one.
    I don't want to hear "We're still young".
    True! Next year we will probably be younger still. So it is possible our youth will be acknowledged occasionally.
    I don't want to hear "It takes time". Fisher and Snead will be their 3rd year. And there is no rule that says a team must be a bunch of 8-9 year veterans to win divisions or make the playoffs. Find a way to get it done.
    You might not want to hear it, nevertheless, the Rams were a team in complete and total disarray when Kroenke took over the ship. When Stan purchased the team he allowed Spags to finish out the 2011 season, and THEN, made his move/stamp on the team with the hiring of Fisher/Snead. We are only just beyond the halfway mark of the second year under our current regime. That is a fact.

Win or else hmmm? NO excuses! I can certainly relate to that emotion, it has been a long, long drought. I do anticipate being able to expect to win once again, as I did during the latter part of our 1999 season through the 2001 season. Right now IMO we simply are not consistent enough to expect to win. When will we be? I am sure Stan, Jeff and Snead are all over that.

So, for those of you who are making "demands," what exactly are you asking the Rams to do differently?

Seems like you are demanding an outcome without suggesting a means of reaching that outcome.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

My "demand" is that we play to potential. If we do, winning will take care of itself. We didn't have enough guys do that before Sam got hurt. it's unacceptable- especially given who's in charge and the promises we've been fed about many of our draft picks/acquisitions.

Let me ask you guys this: "WHEN SHOULD WE EXPECT TO WIN??" 2017? 2020? 2030? Because the fan pattern each season both drives me nuts and ticks me off at the same time:

1)Predict great things before pre-season. Offer all kinds of reasons why we should be a very good team.
    2)Lose more than we win during the regular season. Play poorly for long stretches. Give a myriad of reasons why "we shouldn't have expected much".

When you take over a team in disarray, there are legitimate reasons why success isn't realistic in the near future. But after awhile, they become excuses- and you get tired of them. There is not one person here or elsewhere that can tell me that it is neither possible nor reasonable to expect success in the form of playoff contention in 2014- three years into Jeff Fisher's tenure. The cycle of "new regime/same result" must end next season under his watch.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -11-21-2013 at 04:33 PM.

The cycle of "new regime/same result" must end next season under his watch.
    Again... or else what?

I'll tell you what.

You'll come back and continue to root for the Rams. You'll get your hopes up again and eagerly await each game day. You're a chronic, just like the rest of us. There is no escape!

Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

My "demand" is that we play to potential. If we do, winning will take care of itself. We didn't have enough guys do that before Sam got hurt. it's unacceptable- especially given who's in charge and the promises we've been fed about many of our draft picks/acquisitions.

Let me ask you guys this: "WHEN SHOULD WE EXPECT TO WIN??" 2017? 2020? 2030? Because the fan pattern each season both drives me nuts and ticks me off at the same time:

1)Predict great things before pre-season. Offer all kinds of reasons why we should be a very good team.
    2)Lose more than we win during the regular season. Play poorly for long stretches. Give a myriad of reasons why "we shouldn't have expected much".
    It would be difficult to argue with #1 or #2. That said, When should we expect to win? I can only speak for myself. I will begin to "expect" wins when our team starts winning consecutive games against teams with winning records as well as teams with losing records. (In other words beating good teams and consistently winning games against lesser teams, teams we should beat). Truth be told, prior to the Colts game, I was "hoping" we wouldn't have yet another meltdown and get creamed.

I didn't hire Stan K., nor Fish, nor Snead, nor retain K. Demoff. "Expecting" just doesn't fit into the equation for me right now. That's just me though. If you believe "demanding" and "expecting" are justifiable, feel free. That said, please understand that there is not one among you who can possibly be any more pissed off and disappointed than I am when we lose. I hate it! Give me a couple of days, and I move on. What else is a fan to do? Right now I am looking forward to the Chicago Bears. I am hoping we win!!!

When you take over a team in disarray, there are legitimate reasons why success isn't realistic in the near future. But after awhile, they become excuses- and you get tired of them. There is not one person here or elsewhere that can tell me that it is neither possible nor reasonable to expect success in the form of playoff contention in 2014- three years into Jeff Fisher's tenure. The cycle of "new regime/same result" must end next season under his watch.
    It is hard to realistically "expect" a specific result from a process one has no part of other than being an observer of that "process". Therefore I "hope", since I have no influence/control over the procedures involved in attempting to build the Rams into a winning team. I do currently believe we are on the right track. We could have done a lot worse than Stan K. as far as owners go IMO). I still believe in Fish and Snead. I'll admit that I am wary of Schotty, but Fish must have had his reasons for hiring him, so for now I'll just sit back and watch .. and wait .. and hope ..

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Again... or else what?

I'll tell you what.

You'll come back and continue to root for the Rams. You'll get your hopes up again and eagerly await each game day. You're a chronic, just like the rest of us. There is no escape!

Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!!!
    Just cause it's true Av, that doesn't make it funny.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast