Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Bernie: Redskins Will Take Aim At Bradford

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Bernie: Redskins Will Take Aim At Bradford

Bernie: Redskins Will Take Aim At Bradford

15 hours ago BY BERNIE MIKLASZ, Post-Dispatch Sports Columnist

Buckle up, Sam Bradford.

When the Washington Redskins invade the Edward Jones Dome on Sunday, the Rams and their quarterback can expect to face heavy blitzing. Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett called 22 blitzes last week in Washington's 40-32 victory at New Orleans.

Even without sending extra pass rushers after the quarterback, Washington specializes in harassment. Operating out of a 3-4 defensive alignment, rush linebackers Brian Orakpo and Ryan Kerrigan combined for 19 sacks and 116 quarterback pressures in 2011.

When Haslett dials up the blitz, the temperature rises. According to Pro Football Focus, Saints quarterback Drew Brees was sacked twice, had four passes batted down at the line and got pressured 24 times by the Redskins.

When the Redskins played in St. Louis in week four last season, they swarmed Bradford for seven sacks, four hits and 17 hurries. Bradford set up to throw 50 times, and the Redskins had 22 pressures according to tracking done by Pro Football Focus.

The 22 pressures were the most against Bradford in a game last season. Minus the seven sacks, Bradford completed only three passes in 15 passing attempts under the Redskins' pressure. The Rams scored only 10 points and lost by seven.

In the opener at Detroit, Bradford set up to throw 30 times and had nine pressures. Bradford was sacked three times and had to throw away two passes to avoid additional traps. But when Bradford got a pass off, he completed 17 of 25, or 68 percent.

What Bradford saw in Detroit was nothing compared to what he'll probably get from Haslett and the Redskins.

In Brian Schottenheimer's offense, it's crucial for Bradford to get the ball out quickly to counteract the pass rush. Bradford, still slow in sensing the rush, held on to the ball too long a few times at Detroit.

The Rams' offensive line needs to be alert and reliable Sunday. At Detroit, right offensive tackle Barry Richardson was beaten for a sack, two hits and one hurry. Haslett probably made a few notes.

In Jeff Fisher's 16 seasons as the head coach in Tennessee-Houston, he put an emphasis on protecting the quarterback. Fisher's offense had the NFL's fifth-best sacks-allowed rate over the 16 seasons.

Fisher and Schottenheimer won't dawdle if his O-line gets overwhelmed Sunday. The Rams will deploy extra blockers to slow the Redskins' rush. If the Rams can keep the wolves away from Bradford, he'll have a chance to make plays Sunday. And that's the tradeoff.

Haslett's defense stalks the quarterback, but the aggression puts a target on vulnerable Washington defensive backs. Brees threw for more than 300 yards last week and burned the Redskins for three touchdown passes. But Brees completed only 46 percent of his passes and was intercepted twice. With Brees under duress, the Saints converted only two of 11 third downs.

The Redskins won the battle with Brees, and now they're coming to St. Louis to zero in on Bradford.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Re: Bernie: Redskins Will Take Aim At Bradford

Good while the Skins are taking aim at Sam Sjax will be running by and over them.
    g tha problem likes this.
    Just Fix It

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Good while the Skins are taking aim at Sam Sjax will be running by and over them.
    Exactly what I was thinking. A steady dose of Jackson, some Richardson, and some Pead should make for an entertaining game.

Rambos is online now Registered User

They make the Skins defense sound like it the best in the game. The fact is we have seen this team before. In fact in Bradford rookie year in a similar system to the one he's in now we beat them 30-16.
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-15-2012 at 07:36 PM.

IBleedBnG83 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    They make the Skins defense sound like it the best in the game. The fact is we have seen this team before. In fact in Bradford rookie year in a similar system to the one he's in now we beat them 30-16.
    Hate to break it to you buddy, we didn't have the personnel we have now on the defense. There are only 2 of 11 starters on the defense today than the defense the Rams faced then.

This article is what I have been telling people. The Redskins have a very good defense and the Rams have a weak OL and not so great receivers and QB. I like Bradford, but he hasn't taken the next step quite yet. That could be from the OL, receivers, coaching what have you - but the fact of the matter remains. The Redskins are going to get after Bradford. That's what will get the Redskins the victory.

I'm not pumping my chest over RG3 because I think there are still questions on the OL and RG3 will be facing a better defense than last week. With that being said, Rex Grossman was trying to GIVE away that game last year. If RG3 can just secure the ball, make some plays - the offense will be fine.

Hey buddy, I hope you aren't putting money down. SJax only ran for 45 yards on 17 carries averaging 2.6 yards per carry - no TDs. We have a stout front 7.

Quote Originally Posted by IBleedBnG83 View Post
    Hate to break it to you buddy, we didn't have the personnel we have now on the defense. There are only 2 of 11 starters on the defense today than the defense the Rams faced then.
    hate to break it to you buddy they looked real good giving up 32 points against a one dimensional team that threw 10 passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    hate to break it to you buddy they looked real good giving up 32 points against a one dimensional team that threw 10 passes.
    That's cute, you used my same line. Did you watch any of that game? Did you know the Saints have one of the most prolific offenses in history carried over from last year? How they averaged over 30 points a game? Did you know the Saints scored 15 points in the final minutes of the game when the Redskins went into a prevent defense to help kill the clock?

Knowing is half the battle.

Quote Originally Posted by IBleedBnG83 View Post
    That's cute, you used my same line. Did you watch any of that game? Did you know the Saints have one of the most prolific offenses in history carried over from last year? How they averaged over 30 points a game? Did you know the Saints scored 15 points in the final minutes of the game when the Redskins went into a prevent defense to help kill the clock?

Knowing is half the battle.
    Watched it twice, Yeah I'm aware of their offense. Have you heard they are without their HC that runs the offensive side of the ball? They kinda had a really bad off season not sure if you are aware but I'm sure it had an effect. You call it prevent but the Saints where one score away from a tie ball game. It's not like you guys where up by three scores and let them move the ball.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I'm so glad Bernie's around to tell the Rams that the Redskins are going to try to sack Bradford. I only wish that he published the article earlier in the week so the Rams would had more time to prepare.
    laram0 and swatter555 like this.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I'm starting to seriously believe McDaniels was an agent for the patriots all along to dismantle franchises around the nfl. In Denver he traded away all their best offensive players, in St. Louis he allows Sam to throw 50 passes in a game where we clearly couldn't protect him. Not to mention allowing Sam play on a bum ankle last year. Thank God we have a coach who won't make Sam his sacrificial lamb.

As far as S Jax lack of success in week 1, you're right, the skins should definitely just pin their ears back and get to Sam. Jackson is old and washed up, our offense is pass first, and their only hope of stopping it is to sack Bradford. I repeat, don't even worry about #39.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I'd love to see the Rams try to counter some of the pressure by utilizing Jackson in the screen game. During the pre-season and, IIRC, during the Detroit game, Jackson had some nice gains on screen passes. Some swing passes to either SJ or Richardson wouldn't hurt, either.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

I'd like to see Pead and D-Rich get slightly more carries. D-Rich has a heck of a burst and should compliment us by throwing the Skins D off-balance

mark.a is offline Registered User

Screens and a running game are both good ways to offset a pass-rush.

Just (honestly) curious, though, does anyone believe the match-up of the Ram's O-Line vs the Redskins' D-Line/pass-rush favors the Rams?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast