throwback week

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Bernie on the scheme and more

See, I love the concept of a 4-3, 3-4 hybrid...

The Rams might have some pieces to make it work.

Leonard Little, for example, can be a DE .... or he can be an OLB.... they can walk him up to the line. He can get down into a rush stance.... offense won't know where he will line up, or how he will line up.

Little in the Willie McGinest role....

Hargrove has the quicks to do that, too... be a perimeter rusher, one of the OLB in a 3-4.

Pickett could be a terrific 3-4 nose man.

I see some possibilities.

Two obvious requirements:

Need a banger at safety.

Need a SOB in the middle.

--B

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't have a direct line into this one.... but we're told they've talked to McNally. Don't know if that means he's in, or close, or what. Sorry. I like to be the pipeline, but it doesn't always come through.

--B

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as bad as these guys were in 2005, when they attacked they made some things happen....they were too placid too often....Marmie is just too conservative....Haslett will turn them loose. When you lack talent it's especially important to attack.

--B

Linehan is responsible for the offense.
    Haslett is responsible for the defense.

But your point on Venturi / Haslett is well taken.

It doesn't change my view -- good luck to anyone who had to try and win for Tom Benson.

Bottom line is, I don't care much about the Saints' rankings.

I like the way Haslett approaches things ... his style, his personality, his fire. You know how people said Martz was an OC but not a head coach? Well, I'll buy that one about Haslett .... just a great DC, not sure about him as a HC.... but he did have a winning record as HC until the Katrina season of 2005.

And he's hungry as could be to redeem himself.

Sometimes we just have to step away from the numbers, because they don't speak to the larger issues.

Haslett is a fit with this new coach and this defense.

The Rams need a new temperament on defense....and someone who can mix it up, keep 'em moving, and busy. Someone to ratchet up the aggression. And that's Haslett.

I want him for his attitude.

Good timing. He and Linehan make a great pair....not that this is Brokeback Mountain, or anything.

--B

Larry Marmie was a nice guy who has football knowledge.
    But he had no presence whatsoever ... no verve, no fire, no imagination.
    Just a nice guy who couldn't inspire anyone.
    The players just didn't like playing for him. He just couldn't connect with them on an emotional level that's so vital on football, especially the defense. They didn't trash him. They didn't call him names. They felt sorry for him. The players' feelings were much like our own: why, oh, why is Larry in this job?

The sad thing is -- and this is something Shaw told me over the weekend -- they could have had Dick Jauron as the DC after Lovie left. The Rams offered Jauron a generous contract, were willing to pay him top dollar. He was enthusiastic about coming here.... they had a tentative deal.... but Martz went to the mat for Marmie... insisted that Marmie was the guy, and that he felt strongly about it.... so Shaw caved and let Martz bring in Marmie.

The Rams kept this relatively hush hush .... Martz told me a long time ago that he could have hired Jauron ... but I never knew that the Rams were so close to hiring Jauron instead of Marmie.... again, Mike Martz hanging himself.

--B

Kollar had gotten very stale, but initially they'll love him in Buffalo.

Especially the limited-talent DTs who hustle but can't play.

He loves those guys.... the Brian Howard types.

--B

Here's how Linehan explained it, and I hope I am relaying it in a way that makes sense:

The Rams will likely use a 4-3 base defense.

However: Linehan says Haslett's defenses caused headaches in third down situations, because he likes to use a 3-4 look and make the offense scramble to figure out where the pressure is coming from....kind of what the Steelers have done so successfully.

So while the base will be 4-3, passing downs will be more of a 3-4 zone blitz type of defense.

--B

Better than my rambling ....

Here is what Linehan actually said, verbatim:

(On if the defense will implement some of the 3-4 defense)

ďThere will be flavors of that, and thatís one thing I talked extensively when I was approached on this job that defensively what I like is weíve built a team thatís based a lot on a 4-3 here, and there is some good 4-3 personnel thatís in place. As an offensive coach, when you look at defensive coaches and defensive philosophies, the people that create the most problems, in my opinion, are people that play the 4-3 defense, utilize the personnel with the ability to rush four, possibly bring a linebacker or nickel in some of the base blitz-packages.

"When you get on third down, the creative people on third down get in the 3-4, what I call odd packages, and seemingly blitz from everywhere. That creates more headaches for offenses than anything. The ability to affect the game defensively on third down by being able to make that switch was big in my conversations. That was big in my conversations with Jim, because thatís exactly what his specialty is. Heís really been a 4-3 guy, and they worked toward that defensively when he was at New Orleans, but the third-down packages that they ran and the multiples that they ran were a nightmare for offenses to prepare for, and I really think thatís where you will see it initially.Ē

--B

Linehan said today that Haslett would have leeway to hire staff, but that Lenihan would be in on the interviews. I think Linehan pretty much will hire the offensive staff.

-B

Welker83 Guest

Re: Bernie on the scheme and more

Currently there is only 1 4-3 Hybrid in the league...Miami runs it.

The major difference is that Jason taylor is neither a DE. or an OLB. In the hybrid it's called the Outside End or OE. But it changes cause every play either DE can be the OE if you get guys that are athletic enough to jump into coverage...

The current model was developed by Nick saban And Bill Belichick. In nicks model also the Safeties are mixed. There is no FS, or SS. Rather there is a Right Safety and a Left safety. By constantly switching the responcibilities it makes it harder for the QB to get a read on the defense, Which is the entire point.

If Haslett starts to form a Hybrid or even a 3-4 i'de be happy to do a Write-up about it...

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    The sad thing is -- and this is something Shaw told me over the weekend -- they could have had Dick Jauron as the DC after Lovie left. The Rams offered Jauron a generous contract, were willing to pay him top dollar. He was enthusiastic about coming here.... they had a tentative deal.... but Martz went to the mat for Marmie... insisted that Marmie was the guy, and that he felt strongly about it.... so Shaw caved and let Martz bring in Marmie.

The Rams kept this relatively hush hush .... Martz told me a long time ago that he could have hired Jauron ... but I never knew that the Rams were so close to hiring Jauron instead of Marmie.... again, Mike Martz hanging himself.

--B
    Wow that is kind of surprising. There's no way to know how Jauron would have done, but it couldn't have been worse than Marmie. :down:
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Kudos to Jared Cook for saying what needed to be said about being outplayed and outcoached vs the Cards.

general counsel is offline Registered User

That is a great data point. Hindsight may be 20-20, but a terrible decision to pick marmie over jauron. I will also point out that martz did a lot of complaining that he didnt get his way on many personnel moves, but he sure got his way on that one for all the good it did him.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

bigredman Guest

Thumbs down Re: Bernie on the scheme and more

Amen on the Martz/Marmie comment.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I'm a supporter of MM, but I think he'll look back at the Marmie hiring as his biggest mistake.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Currently there is only 1 4-3 Hybrid in the league...Miami runs it.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Jets (John Abraham), niners (Andre Carter), and Chargers (Shawne Merriman) run something of a hybrid as well, don't they?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang
    I'm a supporter of MM, but I think he'll look back at the Marmie hiring as his biggest mistake.
    Absolutely, FP. I think when we look back, we may well see that...
    Martz went to the mat for Marmie
    ...was Martz' biggest mistake, and
    Shaw caved and let Martz bring in Marmie
    ...was Shaw's biggest mistake.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Welker83 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Jets (John Abraham), niners (Andre Carter), and Chargers (Shawne Merriman) run something of a hybrid as well, don't they?
    Jets were running the Tampa Cover 2. Almost the complete opposite, but they used to show 3-4 alignments a few years ago...

Chargers have a traditional 3-4 with merrimen as a LB.

Niners run a 3-4, same defense that the ravens rans the last few years...But they couldnt get all the personell so they had a bunch of 4-3 fronts. So they could be considered a hybrid by necesity.

Either way...Almost all 3-4 teams will show some 4-3 fronts dependent on who they have, and who they want to get on the field.

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

Great info "AW" : Have said this many times M.M. I have always liked Mike and he is one of the greatest Offensive minds in football but as a head coach he needs learn to fix things when they are not working Friends are great but biz is biz and performance is what counts right ... thats the leadership thats been talked about ...

Attachment 696
    Last edited by OldRamsfan; -03-30-2006 at 12:46 PM.