Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    YodaRam Guest

Re: Bernie shreds Linehan--FUNNY STUFF

Martz....who's talking Martz! Gone. Done. Live in the now.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Honestly its not a question of whether or not to get Mrtz back...its more a question of where he would comeback. In his case I wouldn't. I will wager that if he learned his lesson on how to manage people, he would make for a good HC. For my part I would love to have Martz back, as the offensive coordinator, not HC

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Very good article. When we first picked Linehan for the job, I hoped he would turn the Rams into a more well rounded smash mouth football team. All he's done is turn them into a bunch of zombies.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Typical Bernie Guff and about as funny as losing to the Cowboys this week.

We need a little consistency here.

I liked Martz and wasn't very impressed when he was canned ,but he was routinely criticised for his gameday decisions and "Shoot, we'll fix that". It was widely said at the time on these boards that we needed a more 'fundamental' approach to the game. We got one, and what we saw last season, especially over the second half of the season was proof positive of what had been done.

Of course, we had the obligatory 'round on the coach' session after we went through a mid-season funk, but by season's end people were quiet. So much so in fact, that there was an element of optimism present. People were genuinely expecting big things, some going as far as saying we were headed for the conference championship. Not me, but hey, I was hoping for a decent season.

No-one was saying before these last three games that Linehan had turned them into a bunch of zombies, that he had sucked the life out of the team, that he had turned the team into a lame duck.

This season, with a slew of injuries and veteran players committing basic errors we somehow want to turn the clock back?

Please.................................

With the patience levels that have been displayed here, Martz and his 6-10 season wouldn't be a welcome board guest. Linehan is being vilified for not winning when he has adequate reason for not doing so and those who round on him for it are effectively criticising him for not being Mike Martz. In anticipation of an argument on this point, look at the atricle and look at this thread. It's there al lright, as I knew at some point it would be.

We were spoiled for six years with the talent and the scheme that made watching football very entertaining. What we got after his last season was exactly what we wanted,more consistency, more solidity and better fundamentals.

Now because the ball hasn't bounced our way, we want the guy back who most agreed at the time had outstayed his welcome? We're comparing our coach to the re-animator and our players to zombies? We're calling for changes on the basis of THREE games and using that 'evidence' to advocate another coaching change and yet more turmoil?

And even more surprisingly, we're agreeing with Bernie??? The egotist with his finger on the pulse of every cadaver he's willing to re-animate in search of controversy?

I'm not indifferent to what's going on right now and I'm not happy about it either. I want Linehan to get his third year and at the end of that we'll see where we are and if we haven't demonstrated growth then lets advocate change.

I'm just not happy doing it now on the evidence of the last three games.

Aye, about as funny as losing to the Cowboys.

:l

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

the little passes and dump offs are only used because they take very little time to develop

with Bulger being pounded from all angles with this patchwork OL we have at the moment there really is no other option. he has been taking a pounding already, and was playing with broken ribs.

do you really want bulger sitting back there for 5-6 seconds at a time waiting for a deep route to develop?

its all right to come out after the game and say these things that Bernie has said, but what if they had Bulger throwing deep more and he had got injured to the point of missing playing time?

you might not like what Linehan/Olsen did with the playcalling, but in the situation we are in right now we have no other option

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post
    No-one was saying before these last three games that Linehan had turned them into a bunch of zombies, that he had sucked the life out of the team, that he had turned the team into a lame duck.

This season, with a slew of injuries and veteran players committing basic errors we somehow want to turn the clock back?
    Personally, I entered the season optimistic in spite of last season not because of it. I felt like we beat most of the bad teams on our schedule last season and lost to the good teams, putting us right in the middle as a very mediocre team.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post
    With the patience levels that have been displayed here, Martz and his 6-10 season wouldn't be a welcome board guest.
    The difference was that he had led us to successful seasons before that. Going back to a theme from other threads, a proven winner gets more slack because we know what he is capable of. At this stage in his career, Linehan is still proving what he is capable of doing for us. If it looked like we had done everything we could to beat the Bucs and were just outplayed, I don't think he'd be getting all this criticism. If we were losing because the defense was playing too poorly, people would be saying that it was because of how bad things were when he got here. They'd say he needed more time to rebuild, or maybe they'd be questioning Haslett. Instead we're seeing an offense fully capable of winning shoot-outs looking anemic when we play from behind. I mean it's not like offensive line problems are something new to this team. We've played with a number of haphazard lines in recent years, but we could still put up points

Linehan verse Martz.

Regardless who is HC, everyoneone here knows the Rams have talent. Everyone Knows its upsetting injuries happened, everyone knows the game plans have been questionable, and no question that what plays where run the players muffed on several critical situations.

Watching Martz was an exercise in total frustration and delight. You never knew what was going to happen in the game. Watching Linehan is waiting for the lastest disaster to occure. Its pick your posion here. If there is something I like about Martz, its his daring and genious for the offense. Linehan for discipled for the basics. Right now if the Rams where to get a new HC, I couldn't think of a canidate. Sadly just about any HC would try to make the team fit his own image and style. Remember Chuck Knox style?

With the Rams being a Dome team, what scheme Virmil and Martz cooked up works best, a team built for speed. Of late what I have seen is Linehan not using the assets of what players he has at hand. What I hoped Linehan would have brought was in your face power football and the ever present explosive Greatest Show on Truff.

The next 4 games I think will be the window as to the future. If its 0-7, likely it will be 3 years before the Rams can hope to reach for another Superbowl. That is unless Linehan can adapt and fire up the team. hot/Bruce/ even Bulger are not getting any younger and someday the question will be asked, who can fill their shoes

itsguud is offline Registered User

I don't know why your all upset about our play calling... without Linehans boring ass ****, I wouldn't be able to sleep druing Rams games Sundays and get over my Hang-overs.

Wow I hate linehan.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

I like the job he has done in helping assemble the team. Maybe if he fires his buddy as OC then we can get a new one that is not a scaredy cat.

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez View Post
    It will never work having Mike back.

There are to many "fans" who dont understand that if you put your balls on the line, sometimes they get kicked.
    I agree completely. Not only that, but Mike is doing what he was always meant to do; he's an Offensive Coordinator. Martz is at his best when he can concentrate on the Offense, and nothing else.

Linehan was also a very good O.C.. It remains to be seen if he can make the transition to Head Coach.

I loved the comment Bernie made about being "cardboard" flavored. Very funny, very true, and very sad.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Often I think there are three kind of NFL teams that make up the 32 teams. Those that are a business (out to make money), City team (Like the Packers), and Toys for the rich and imfamious. Seattle, Dallas, and Washington are best examples of owners and their egos.

Am so happy Jerry Jones doesn't own the Rams. Despite his win at any cost montra and ever quick trigger finger to hire/fire those that don't produce success, his fiddling with the team would deminish the Rams esteem to its fans. Ram Fans are proud of the teams overall character. Holt, Bruce, Bulger are certainly a class act.

Yet the Rams are more of the first kinda team, a business. Linehan had better keep that in mind. His boring play calling and lack of victories will not fill many seats in the DOME. Not filling seats (loss of ticket sales) if nothing else will get him fired quicker then anything else.
    **When I heard they had hired Linehan and researching his bio, I thought maybe he would turn the Greatest Show on Turf and its dome statium into the THUNDER DOME. The only thunder of late is the thundering hooves of the fans leaving in disapointment.
    Last edited by Ram Dragoon; -09-29-2007 at 02:23 PM.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Linehan is starting to remind me of John Robinson, except Robinson had much less to work with.

blood85 is offline Registered User

I say we need to run one of those "wacky Cal vs Stanford" plays, even that might work with our struggling offense.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Well........I never!

I thought my zombie joke was a harmless but accurate description of how the Rams have been playing recently and never expected a long and lengthy lecture. But it apparently hit a chord with somebody. As a matter of fact I really like zombies. Heck i'd go as far as saying that I LOVE zombies. I've been a life long fan since the first George Romero movies. Hmm maybe we should go out and hire George as our new head coach? Than we can call em the.

"St.Louis Zombies." works for me.

Post script (for the record, I can't stand Martz.)
    Last edited by mikhal5569; -09-30-2007 at 08:56 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12