Jackson39 is offline Registered User

Bernie On Spags/Shurmur Playcalling

Not sure if any one saw this from Steven Jackson's website or even if it was on the PD, but heres an excerpt from the article of ""Playing Through Pain"
    STILL STREAKING
    Steven's four-game touchdown streak was snapped on Sunday afternoon, but he has still accounted for more than 100 yards of total offense in each of St. Louis' last eight games.|
    All that despite eight men packing the box for a potential run on nearly every play.
    On his Rams Report Card, Bill Coats of St. Louis Post-Dispatch gives S-Jax yet another A-...
    ...Also at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Bernie Miklasz argues that the Rams' offenses' biggest deficiency lies in not exploiting what the defense is giving the Rams by loading up against Steven:
    Here's what I don't understand: Why don't these coaches try to take advantage of the defense smothering Jackson? I give Shurmur and Spagnuolo credit for establishing Jackson as a force; SJ39 had 112 yards rushing Sunday and is up to 1,232 yards for the season. But the Rams should be able to exploit the defense's obsession with Jackson.
    For instance: Where are the play-action passes? How many times have we seen the Rams fake a handoff to Jackson to get the defense moving the wrong way, then burning 'em with a pass?
    It isn't a part of their plan. And that's incomprehensible. We're talking Football 101 here. But when I asked Spagnuolo about the play-action fakes, he suggested that the Rams can do more damage against the anti-Jackson defense by continuing to run Jackson. Interesting. Worse, Spagnuolo also suggested there are no plans to change their ways.
    ----------------------
    Just, how can we resolve this playcalling situation? Does Shurmur actually believe what he is doing correct? I can put some faith in him, after all, he is a coach and respect should be given to all coaches. I do believe he doesn't understand how to utilise Avery's speed to get down field from PA passes, Amendola sneaking behind LB'ers again after PA passes. However, Brandon Gibson is great at the curls and comebacks and there was alot of hope when Robinson was playing too. Then again, Shurmur is a rookie coach...i think we could cut him some slack IMO.

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by Jackson39; -12-09-2009 at 10:26 PM.

Comrade Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Bernie On Spags/Shurmur Playcalling

Shurmur must be fired, his playcalling is abysmal, we hardly ever pass and when we do its a short 2-5 yard pass that accomplishes nothing.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Ram View Post
    Shurmur must be fired, his playcalling is abysmal, we hardly ever pass and when we do its a short 2-5 yard pass that accomplishes nothing.
    Do you really want boller throwing more then 5 yard pass's?

punahou is offline Registered User

I'll say it again

Shurmer is a DEFENSIVE genius, like his dad.

look at his Rams' Offensive numbers, those are great statistics for the defensive side of the ball!

Mooselini is offline Registered User

They better change things. Defenses can put 11 guys in the box and we'd STILL run with Jackson. It's getting embarrassing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Did you not even read the article above?

It clearly indicates that this is Spags philosophy. This is how he wants it to be. That statement above indicates to me that Spags knows absolutely ZERO about offensive playcalling. Which makes me wonder how someone can be a great defensive coordinator yet be so oblivious to offensive strategy ...

It's not the first red flag. Earlier this week in his press conference, he indicated he was the one that called the 3rd and 11 draw when we were down 17-6 because he wanted to assure we'd get some points ...

Spags needs to quit being stubborn, and he needs to wake up and realize this isn't 1970. This team looks like the Chuck Knox teams of the 90's, but without the fairly stout defenses. Until he lets Shurmur do his job and open up the playbook, we'll be a laughing stock ...

I'm losing a little patience with him, only because he shows an unwillingness to change. It makes me concerned that he will not even attempt to adjust at halftime, or from quarter to quarter, of games. It's a losing strategy, and always will be ....