RamWraith is offline Registered User

The Bernie Speaks

On Martz bashing:

BernieM wrote:
    This has got to be the most shrill thread in the history of the Press Box.

I got a good laugh at the post where the 12th Ram said, basically, that I should rely on facts rather than sensationalism and speculation.

Which is beautifully ironic, since I constantly rely on facts in discussing Martz's credentials instead of falling back on the blind outrage that we see so often in here from Martz's critics.

I always stick to the facts when assessing Martz.

He has a winning percentage that's the 4th highest among NFL head coaches since the merger (50-game minimum). And his won-loss percentage compared to all previous STL head coaches, Cardinals and Rams. And the STL's NFL record before Martz arrived in a leadership position (1999) and after he arrived. And the five-year run of offense that's one of the most prolific in NFL history. And the fact that he's turned the team back around after the early-season collapse in 2002, when he had to transition to another QB. They've won 20 of 29 games since then, a winning percentage of .689. And someone -- I forget who -- actually referred in here to the Rams here as "mediocre."

His team's playoff performances (super bowl 2001, and vs. Carolina last year) have been disappointing. I will not contest that.

But I respect his entire body of work as a coach.

I also respect passion, but somewhere along the line, some of you have lost perspective.

Cheers,
    Bernie

On a poster's statement that Martz has not brought in great players:

BernieM wrote:
    This gets better all the time.

I'll go down the list provided by one of the Martz haters in here:

Faulk....Pre-Martz. CLARIFICATION: Vermeil wanted to trade Faulk during Marshall's holdout. Martz and others convinced him otherwise. Faulk was in DV's doghouse early in the season because he wanted to save his legs by not practicing all of the time. Martz intervened. I suppose a reasonable person would also acknowledge that Faulk seemed to do well in the Martz offense.

Bruce....Pre-Martz. CLARIFICATION: DV and Bruce had a problem. They didn't like each other. Vermeil called Bruce out, referring to him as a "so-called team leader." Bruce was crushed. He also developed a serious hamstring problem because of DV's marathon practices. One of the reasons Shaw wanted to hire Martz was because Martz had a special relationship with Bruce and the Rams needed to get Bruce back on track.

Holt....Pre-Martz. CLARIFICATION: False. Martz was already in place as the offensive coordinator and autonomous leader of the offense when the Rams made the decision to draft Holt. Martz worked Holtz out before the draft, and recommended drafting him. As did others in the organization.

Pace....Pre-Martz. TRUE.

Timmerman....Pre-Martz TRUE ... and Martz subsequently re-signed Timmerman.

Little....Pre-Martz. CLARIFICATION: Little was in no-man's land before Martz took over. Big disagreement on the staff about where to play LL; some coaches thought he was a LB, others wanted him at DE. Kollar wanted him to play LB. Martz consulted with all of the defensive assistants and gave the order to play LL at defensive end.

Just trying to help.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    I've written about the talent drain twice in recent weeks.

We've seen it, again, by their late-summer roster scrambling.

They're rebuilding some key parts on the fly.

It's a tough job.

They addressed the WRs last year and it's paying off. (MacDonald, Furrey, Curtis, Looker, etc.)

They've lined up help -- and the eventual replacement -- for Marshall Faulk.

They've already done a terrific job in firming up the O-line. Dishman was a swell pickup. Their patience with Grant Williiams seems to be justified. Tercero will develop into a good O-lineman.

Getting it done at CB will be more difficult. The young LBs really have to come on as well.

Some of Martz's more irrational critics apparently think he has the same team as the Rams did in 1999 and 2001. The hatred blinds them.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    I'm not sure what the point is.

I've picked them to finish 9-7 because they're transitioning the defense and they have a tough schedule.

Man, this Martz infatuation is worse than I thought.

You'd think this guy was guilty of actual felony crimes against individual fans and their families instead of winning a higher percentage of football games than any coach in St. Louis NFL history.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    It's interesting that we -- and I'm in this group -- always zero in on the handful of Martz play-calls that we find strange or downright stupid.

But obviously he must call a pretty damned good game overall, or his team wouldn't be piling up so many yards and points over these last few years.

Bill Walsh says Martz is the best he's ever seen at finding a defensive weakness and attacking it with play calls.

Of course, he's only Bill Walsh.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    The Rams have a lot of obstacles in front of them.

That's why I picked them to go 9-7.

However, I don't classify a 448-yard performance vs. Arizona as some sort of failure.

I've seen some ludicrous comments on TV this week. Sean Salisbury (ESPN) went on a Rams rant, saying they were outplayed by Arizona.

Huh? Outplayed? Based on what evidence? The yards were 448-260. The Rams didn't finish drives. That's their fault. Arizona had little to do with it. Jackson and Looker had to take better care of the ball.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    Hmmm... given that they play only 16 regular-season games in the NFL, and that only 10 of 32 teams make the playoffs, I'd have to think that getting to the playoff requires the ability to win some big, important games.

But then again, I'm not an irrational, hate-filled Martz basher.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    Martz is definitely flaky.
    And that causes problems.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    Curtis can't stay completely healthy.
    It's as simple as that.
    That's how others were able to make a move ahead of him.
    Obviously, the Rams still have a high hopes for Curtis.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    Not everyone who disagrees with Martz is a Martz hater.

Two answers:

1. If you read some of these angry posts, this ongoing rage and absence of perspectiv, it should be obvious. Please don't tell me that these folks are free of hatred for Martz in their hearts. It's blatant.

2. Then there's the slang word, 'hater.' It's a stronger way of saying that someone is a harsh critic.

Cheers,
    Bernie

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: The Bernie Speaks

Tell em Bernie. I've been saying the same thing for two years.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie
    I've seen some ludicrous comments on TV this week. Sean Salisbury (ESPN) went on a Rams rant, saying they were outplayed by Arizona.
    Glad to see Bernie sniffs out stupidity when he hears it. Good call, BM.
    You'd think this guy was guilty of actual felony crimes against individual fans and their families instead of winning a higher percentage of football games than any coach in St. Louis NFL history.
    I'm not defending the Martz bashers, nor am I being critical of them, but...maybe it's not a matter of win-loss %, but instead a matter of results not meeting expectations, starting with SB XXXVI. I believe those that are outspoken against Martz would put more stock in the 0-1 SB record than any other win-loss % to judge Martz. I'm not saying they're right or wrong, but I think Bernie (or anyone else) is wasting his breath when he defends Martz by his overall win-loss %...at least in the eyes of Martz critics.

Again, I'm not defending any position, just bringing a little perspective.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

rampower is offline Registered User

i think we have been spoiled recently and want perfection, or we get upset. I will admit i have been guilty of my expectations being unrealistic at times.

Rp