RamWraith is offline Registered User

Bernie update on Jenkins - 2:00pm

Here is Bernie's latest on Jenkins

No deal has been made...
    everyone expects that it will be made, but it hasn't gone down yet...
    Rams a No. 2...
    Or a No. 3 plus J. Butler...
    but nothing yet....
    one of these two scenarios is likely...but nothing yet.

--B

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Bernie updates Jenkins rumors

Well, I'd certainly prefer it be a #3 and JB, but I've come to the point where I am fine with giving up a #2 for Jenkins AS LONG AT THE RAMS STILL DO THE RIGHT THING AND TAKE A DEFENSIVE PLAYER WITH THEIR FIRST ROUND PICK.

Giving up a #2 to get Jenkins and then taking a player like Ginn (repent Ginners!) would be a VERY BAD IDEA! It would mean that the Rams would not add a young defender until the third round, at the earliest, which would be a HUGE MISTAKE!

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Av, wouldn't it be the way of the Rams to get Jenkins then take a receiver? Thinking that Jenkins is the fix.How good is this guy and is he to old to be around for a while?
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Actually, that's a myth.

The Rams have used about 80% of their first and second round picks since 2000 on defensive players.

How good is Jenkins? I heard he was very surprised to be on the trading block and does he still have some good years left?

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Kid is only 28 and coming into his prime. If he can stay healthy is more of the question than talent, because he has talent

Leads me to believe that Ginn may be a obvious pick to balance out the O even though we just got Bennett. but isn't bennett more of a slot guy?

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Well, I'd certainly prefer it be a #3 and JB, but I've come to the point where I am fine with giving up a #2 for Jenkins AS LONG AT THE RAMS STILL DO THE RIGHT THING AND TAKE A DEFENSIVE PLAYER WITH THEIR FIRST ROUND PICK.

Giving up a #2 to get Jenkins and then taking a player like Ginn (repent Ginners!) would be a VERY BAD IDEA! It would mean that the Rams would not add a young defender until the third round, at the earliest, which would be a HUGE MISTAKE!

Most definitely! Since last year every indication seems to be that the Rams 1st Round mindset MUST be for defense, particularly a DL. Anderson, Branch, Carriker, Okoye. Aim for one of these.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

I really do believe Ginn is a smoke screen and I think that they're also considering swapping picks so the Panthers can take Ginn at 13, and the Rams will only have to give up a #3 w/ Butler or not. I really doubt they want to give up the #2 so I think that was a huge smokescreen. But yes, I completely agree with you, we still need to take a guy like Willis...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

max
    max is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69 View Post
    How good is Jenkins? I heard he was very surprised to be on the trading block and does he still have some good years left?
    A few years ago, before the injuries, I heard Bill Parcells say on WFAN in NY that Kris Jenkins was the best defensive player in the league. Keep in mind that Parcells believes DLineman are the most important players on defense. Regardless, Jenkins was simply dominant.

A shoulder injury and knee surgery has made him less so. But he did get through last year without re-injuring himself and less importantly but noteworthy is that he made the Pro Bowl.

John Madden has always said that after a player has knee surgery that the most important thing is to get through the next year without re-injury. Then the following year he would expect the player to get back to where he was.

So I expect Jenkins to be better this year than last year. How much better remains to be seen. But a better than last year's Jenkins is better than anything St. Louis has seen in a long time.

Well if he is a bit banged up, they should stay on track to shore up the defense like we all know they should! Defense will change this whole team! it was non-existant last year, we need some push and crunch!

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

since ironiclly jenkins is a panther and since the panthers want Ginn who we are targeting perhaps the FO is considering if we build it up and Ginn is on the board at 13, perhaps we will trade with carolina for a pick swap and jenkins??? or jenkins and a 3rd what do you guys think??

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Bernie update on Jenkins - 2:00pm

Quote Originally Posted by max View Post
    A shoulder injury and knee surgery has made him less so. But he did get through last year without re-injuring himself and less importantly but noteworthy is that he made the Pro Bowl.
    Made the Pro Bowl. Pretty good for a guy that was supposed to be banged up. I watched last years Panthers/Bengals game on NFL Replay a few days ago with the sole purpose of seeing what Jenkins looked like, and he looked impressive. Good mobility for his size and got excellent push against the Bengals offensive line, occupying blockers, clogging up the middle, making tackles and occasionally putting some pressure on Palmer.

I certainly liked what I saw and hope the Rams can get this thing done. Jenkins would be a difference maker.