throwback week

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Bernie: Vick Won't Be a Ram

May 20: Michael Vick Wonít Be a St. Louis Ram
    By Bernie Miklasz

As the Michael Vick controversy begins to reignite and take off, letís clear one thing up right away, and in no uncertain terms:

Vick will not be a St. Louis Ram.

Forget it, not going to happen, put it out of your mind.

If/when heís reinstated by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, Vick wonít be welcomed back by the Atlanta Falcons. But the Falcons control the quarterbackís rights, and will try to trade those rights to another NFL team.

Multiple league sources tell me that the Falcons called the Rams twice to gauge their interest in Vick, and in both instances the Rams told the Falcons that they had no interest.

And a source with the Rams organization confirms that. Moreover, I am told that the Rams would not be interested in Vick as a free agent even if the Falcons release him.

Why?

Vick isnít a West Coast offense QB.

The Rams donít want the distractions.

They donít think heís worth the trouble.

The owner of the team, Chip Rosenbloom, is said to be emphatically opposed to the idea ó not that anyone at Rams Park is pushing for Vick, because they are not. But anyone who has seen Rosenbloomís excellent ďShilohĒ trilogy would understand Chipís feelings on Vick.

Meanwhile the debate continues on Vick.

My three quick comments on the Vick situation:

1. I donít like Vick or what he did in funding a dog-fighting ring and engaging in despicable acts of animal cruelty, but he should be allowed to play football again, because thatís his profession. Vick spent 21 months in a federal prison and will spend the next two months in home confinement. Heís lost millions of dollars. His reputation is ruined. He paid a price for what he did, and wasnít given any special treatment. When people get out of jail, they have the right to seek a job. Vick is no different. If someone wants to give him a football job, then so be it. Thatís the way we do things in America.

2. I donít think Vick is a very good quarterback. The Falcons were 9-15 in his last 24 games and fell apart down the stretch in 2006. His accuracy was erratic. His fundamentals as a QB were sloppy. He peaked in 2004, and never played at that level again. That was a long time ago. He can still run, and is probably still a top athlete. But he never developed into a smooth QB. Donít see why he would do that now. And he wasnít much of a leader or a teammate.

3. A team that signs Vick will also bring in a circus, and controversy, and it will be a mess. TV cameras all over the place. Questions and questions and questions being pitched to teammates concerning Vickís past. Protests from animal-rights activists at the team facility and stadium. A potential loss of commercial sponsors for the franchise. Fans who will give up their tickets in protest. Distractions galore. A never-ending story about one guy Ö and that takes away from the team concept. How many teams will want to bring all of that into their house?

Vick should get another opportunity to be eligible to play.

But no team is under obligation to sign him.

And if Vick doesnít get an opportunity with an NFL team, then thatís just the way it is. He put himself in this position.

-Bernie

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Bernie: Vick Won't Be a Ram

This is...shocking.

End Sarcasm.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    This is...shocking.

End Sarcasm.
    Yep, talk about a no-brainer. What really shocks me is that John Clayton could even speculate that the Rams were a possible destination for Vick.

Mooselini Guest

WHAT!?!?!?! How can the Rams not get Michael Vick!?!!? We are going to regret this in a few years!!!!

Come on. News please...

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    WHAT!?!?!?! How can the Rams not get Michael Vick!?!!? We are going to regret this in a few years!!!!

Come on. News please...
    There goes the Superbowl
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    There goes the Superbowl
    Aw Darn.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Yep, talk about a no-brainer. What really shocks me is that John Clayton could even speculate that the Rams were a possible destination for Vick.
    If you take a look at Marc Bulger's numbers the last two years, it becomes clear to see why one might speculate.

Keenum is offline Registered User

I'd still want to hear it straight from Spags or someone in the front office though. I really don't believe we have much, if any, interest, but nothing is confirmed until it's straight from the horse's mouth... and even then we don't know if it's 100% true.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    If you take a look at Marc Bulger's numbers the last two years, it becomes clear to see why one might speculate.
    Not when you consider Spags "Four Pillars" and Devaney's committment to high character players. It's easy to see why the Rams would not go for Vick, and a professional like Clayton should have known that. Again, it's a no-brainer.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

So to speculate means you have to compare his numbers to Vick's. 0,0,0,0,0,0 When you are in prison, numbers are difficult to put up.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    So to speculate means you have to compare his numbers to Vick's. 0,0,0,0,0,0 When you are in prison, numbers are difficult to put up.
    No sir, to speculate in this situation, you only need to look at all the teams who's QBs have not performed well. The no-brainer is that Marc Bulger fits the profile to a tee.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -05-23-2009 at 03:34 AM.

ScottD413 Guest

No sir, to speculate in this situation, you only need to look at all the teams who's QBs have not performed well. The no-brainer is that Marc Bulger fits the profile to a tee.
    Oh please. Everybody around here knows that I'm not in love with Bulger by any stretch of the imagination, but come on! Vick has NEVER been a good QB. Never.

I will never understand why people are so in love with him, he was never any good.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Scott, have you ever seen him in Madden? He's an absolute GOD! He's the best player in the history of the league man!

Reason number 1 why the Rams won't pursue him: the scheme requires the one thing that Vick will never be associated with: Precision.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD413 View Post
    Oh please. Everybody around here knows that I'm not in love with Bulger by any stretch of the imagination, but come on! Vick has NEVER been a good QB. Never.

I will never understand why people are so in love with him, he was never any good.

Who's talking about Vick here? I am merely pointing out why one might speculate. Did you read the post or did you just arbitrarily jump to conclusions?