Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Bernie: Wait, the No. 2 overall draft pick isn't starting?

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Bernie: Wait, the No. 2 overall draft pick isn't starting?

It could be worse...

Jonathan Cooper - G - Cardinals

Coach Bruce Arians confirmed that Ted Larsen, not Jonathan Cooper, will start at left guard Week 1.
    Arians has grown increasingly frustrated with Cooper and isn't afraid to talk about it. "I don't care about draft status," Arians said of the No. 7 overall pick in 2013. "I want to see the results on the field, and Ted Larsen's way outplayed (Cooper)." Larsen is a 2010 sixth-rounder that was picked up off the scrap heap by the Cards in March, allegedly to serve as depth.
    Source: Arizona Republic

Ouch! I liked Cooper coming out.
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-04-2014 at 01:06 PM.
    Mikey likes this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    The Orlando Pace situation is completely different from Robinsons. Pace held out for a bigger contract and had to get in shape after holding out. Robinson is behind because he had to learn a more pro style blocking scheme, something Pace didn't need, and because Fisher thought is was fun to have Robinson play musical chairs along the OLine.
    Mikey - fun?? Come on man. Do you really have so little respect for Fish, or are you just being a wise guy?

Agreed Pace's situation was completely different from Robinson's.

Mikey is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Mikey - fun?? Come on man. Do you really have so little respect for Fish, or are you just being a wise guy?

Agreed Pace's situation was completely different from Robinson's.
    Sorry yes the sarcasm font is difficult on the iPad. I do blame Fisher for Robinson for being behind the curve.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Les Snead on Greg Robinson's development so far. (Interview starts at approximately 26 minutes in.

http://www.insidestlaudio.com/ITD_Audio/090414-2TMA.mp3

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    I do not see anyone saying he is a bust. I see some folks stating their concern that a 2nd pick is not starting and some of the rhetoric is "playbook confusing."
    Jason Smith, Mardy Gillyard come to mind when I hear that. In order for this team to truly turn it around,
    the Rams need to hit it with top draft picks. There were plenty of options available at the spot Robinson was selected. I HOPE he becomes half of what Orlando was...We shall see hopefully sooner then later.
    That i'll kind of agree with. Disappointed/concerned? That's definitely there.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    It could be worse...

Jonathan Cooper - G - Cardinals

Coach Bruce Arians confirmed that Ted Larsen, not Jonathan Cooper, will start at left guard Week 1.
    Arians has grown increasingly frustrated with Cooper and isn't afraid to talk about it. "I don't care about draft status," Arians said of the No. 7 overall pick in 2013. "I want to see the results on the field, and Ted Larsen's way outplayed (Cooper)." Larsen is a 2010 sixth-rounder that was picked up off the scrap heap by the Cards in March, allegedly to serve as depth.
    Source: Arizona Republic

Ouch! I liked Cooper coming out.
    Nice perspective Rambos..... Main difference for me is Cards were 10-6 last year. In order for the Rams to get out of their funk, we need to top dogs to perform to their potential. I am very glad we got Joseph so we can help Robinson develop. but he needs to be out there soon and kicking butt and taking names. Same for Aaron Donald.... Jenkins, Tavon, McDonald, Ogletree, Quick etc.........All young guys top picks and the future of our team....no more excuses.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    I do not see anyone saying he is a bust. I see some folks stating their concern that a 2nd pick is not starting and some of the rhetoric is "playbook confusing."
    Jason Smith, Mardy Gillyard come to mind when I hear that. In order for this team to truly turn it around,
    the Rams need to hit it with top draft picks. There were plenty of options available at the spot Robinson was selected. I HOPE he becomes half of what Orlando was...We shall see hopefully sooner then later.
    I agree, there is no way anyone can call him a bust right now. On the flip side, I do have a tiny, and I mean tiny bit of concern about Robinson, but it's way too early to call it either way. Even though Orlando Pace was great, I can't blame fans for having a bit of concern considering what we saw with Jason Smith just a few years ago. Time will tell.
    macrammer likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    The backhanded compliments about Austin Davis are amusing.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

So does this bring back the Watkins verse Robinson argument again?

Curly Horns is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    How about we say: A guy specifically drafted to eventually become our future left tackle. In no way was Robinson selected to come in and immediately start at left tackle to protect Sam B. We had/have Saffold to lean on if Jake Long couldn't answer the bell for game one.
    Excuse me? How bout we don't.

Future LT - Projected starter at guard. There was not a guarantee with Long or Joseph on draft day. And since when is the LT the only offensive lineman that takes pressure off and protects the QB?

Last time I checked a road grader at G to lead a run game always took pressure off the QB? And I might be mistaken but I believe a G protects the QB when he drops back to pass along with the rest of the OL?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Horns View Post
    And I might be mistaken but I believe a G protects the QB when he drops back to pass along with the rest of the OL?
    yes he does, and if it so happens that the two OGs that are starting at OG instead of Robsinson are better in pass protection than he is, wouldn't it make sense to start the two guys that are better while Robinson improves in practice? We all knew Robinson was raw in pass pro coming out.

A very important thing to remember here: The Rams already have lost their starting QB, and are relying on their 34 year old backup who is the only QB on the team that has a combination of starting experience and knowledge of the system. Davis knows the system but has never started, Keenum has started but doesn't know the system. If we lose Shaun Hill any chances of us having a decent season get even worse. If we put a guy raw in pass pro out and as a result of a missed assignment Shaun Hill gets injured, the season is very much over, even more than it is already in some peoples eyes.
    live4ramin and MauiRam like this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I wouldn't say it's all that different from the Pace situation. Robinson spent 4 weeks in the system (camp) and isn't starting his 1st week out. Pace spent 4 weeks in the system (weeks 1-4) and didn't start for another 4 weeks.

So, if Robinson were starting now, that puts him 4 weeks ahead of Pace. When Robinson isn't starting in 4 weeks, then I'll have a little concern.
    live4ramin likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

demiurge is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I wouldn't say it's all that different from the Pace situation. Robinson spent 4 weeks in the system (camp) and isn't starting his 1st week out. Pace spent 4 weeks in the system (weeks 1-4) and didn't start for another 4 weeks.

So, if Robinson were starting now, that puts him 4 weeks ahead of Pace. When Robinson isn't starting in 4 weeks, then I'll have a little concern.
    I'm not concerned at all - history is littered with OL that didn't start week 1 of their rookie season that made the hall of fame, let alone ones that were just productive pros.

I'd rather have the best 5 guys out there. I hope that includes Robinson soon, but we did pick up a 3 time pro bowler at that position - if he plays back to form then keep Robinson on the bench while he learns. It would be stupid to do anything else.

What would concern me if we have to put him in because of injury and he gets whipped repeatedly.

But we aren't there yet.

Remember guys, there's 3 positions that are TOUGH to come in as a rookie and play at a high level.

QB. WR. And OL. All of them because they have to work so well with others and develop greater timing and field awareness.

The fact Robinson has only had a few weeks at OG and a few weeks at LT is also telling. Let the guy learn a spot.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post

Looked it up found that Pace missed most of camp... so he got some work in camp as well and back then they had two practices a day and where going full contact most of the time. I would not be shocked if Pace got more work in camp then Robinson did under the new CBA. I agree Robinson has time on his side and with the bye week happening in week 4 gives him more time to get up to speed. I think we need him after the bye week when the schedule gets insane.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    yes he does, and if it so happens that the two OGs that are starting at OG instead of Robsinson are better in pass protection than he is, wouldn't it make sense to start the two guys that are better while Robinson improves in practice? We all knew Robinson was raw in pass pro coming out.
    Sure, Fisher can start whoever he wants and then you can say it all makes sense.

Personally, I knew nothing about Robinson. I'm not a scout nor do I evaluate potential NFL personnel on a professional level. And I do not have the time to sit around and read or listen to all the pre-draft analysis of every player. Especially when the accuracy level of that analysis is never 100%. All I knew is that the Rams needed improvement on the OL going into the draft and that they had two 1st round picks one of which being 2nd overall.

It seems to me that the Rams should be able to find an OL that could start in week #1 with the 2nd overall pick but apparently they failed to do so. Now, perhaps the guys ahead of him are world beaters and the Rams are now content with the 2nd overall pick warming the bench. Although Jake Long did not look so great in his debut. He was responsible for letting his man roll up on Bradford's knee. But you don't want to get Shaun Hill hurt, so, I guess we look at the injury to Bradford as an anomaly on Long's part?

My op in this thread was to express my disappointment that the Rams could not find an OL to start with the 2nd overall pick. Nothing more! If you are happy about the 2nd overall pick warming the bench then sobeit.

For what it's worth Jason Smith and Roger Saffold both started in week #1 of their respective first seasons. While we wait for our draft picks to get up to speed in the NFL - The beat goes on in Seattle under the direction of carroll and snider.
    macrammer likes this.

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

If I remember correctly the book on Robinson pre-draft was that he was an excellent (road grader) run blocker but did need some work on his pass protection skills?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast