Thread: Bernie's Bits

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Bernie's Bits

BernieM wrote:

Yes, I do believe that QBs are especially vulnerable in the Martz system.
    That's the price for running a creative passing offense that often features empty backfields and skeletal protection for the QB. Bulger missed time with injury this season, and took some other beatings along the way. He was hurting in Atlanta the other night. I'm not sure what to say; this is the way things are done and we won't see a dramatic change. The approach has for the most part resulted in a high-scoring offense. But the potential cost is the health of the QB.

I'm not sure what Martz will do for a No. 2 QB in '05. Does he think Smoker will be ready? I tend to doubt it. Chandler won't be back. Maybe Jamie Martin sticks around. I just don't know.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:

This was just a rehash -- granted at a louder, more contentious level.

I don't understand Turley. He has said he wants to be a Ram, and he has told Martz he plans to be a Ram, and that he will work hard to resume his career with the Rams.

If that's the case ... why keep dredging this up?

Why not let it die -- or at least fade -- to enhance any chance for peace between Martz and Turley?

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:

As Jim Thomas just reported on STLtoday.com, the Rams new special teams coach is Bob Ligashesky ... he was a volunteer assistant on the same ASU staff that had Martz, Larry Marmie and current Rams tight ends coach Frank Falks.

The new guy's credibility already is questionable, even before he starts working.

I guess John Shaw plans to hibernate for the winter.

So much for making meaningful changes to this football organization.

Cheers,
    Bernie

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

moklerman is offline Registered User

Re: Bernie's Bits

...and I thought it was bad enough that we had THREE ASU coaches. I didn't even know about the TE coach being part of that clan. Anybody know if ASU won any games back in the 80's? If we're going to put together a college staff we should at least go after some guys who won a championship.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Bernie's Bits

Martz's tenure at Arizona State was from '83-'91, where he served roles such as quarterbacks and receivers coach as well as offensive coordinator. During that time they were the Pac-10 champions once (1986) and won two of their three bowl appearances. The new special teams coach started with Arizona State during the 1986 season in which they were Pac-10 champs and eventually defeated Michigan in the Rose Bowl. The Larry Marmie era was from '88-'91, and his record was 22-21-1. The team appeared in no bowls and won no championships under Marmie.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!