throwback week

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Bernie's Latest, Annotated (or... snappy answers to stupid questions)

Bernie Miklasz bjmiklasz @post-dispatch.com 314-340-8192
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Thursday, Jan. 21 2010
    The Rams' key operatives have convened for their annual review and planning session. After a brutal 1-15 season, owners Chip Rosenbloom and Lucia Rodriguez are getting together with general manager Billy Devaney, coach Steve Spagnuolo and other executives in an effort to chart a new course for 2010.

It can't get any worse, can it?

Well, there's always the possibility of an 0-16 record, though I doubt that will happen. And there's also the looming sale of the franchise. Will the Rams and their fans feel good about the new owners? We can't do anything about that right now.

At the moment, it's all about the football and the incredibly difficult task of improving the team.

Here are some of the questions that I hope Rosenbloom and Rodriguez are asking as they sit with Devaney and Spagnuolo:

— As owners, we were inclined to see you draft Mark Sanchez last year so the Rams could establish a franchise quarterback. Can you explain why you didn't
    draft Sanchez — who will quarterback the Jets in Sunday's AFC championship game?

First of all, your premise is a rumor, not a fact. But, to answer your question, Sanchez had a 20 interceptions for the Jets this year. How many do you think he would have had in the Rams offense?
    — For Devaney: You were part of the scouting-personnel department that drafted quarterback Ryan Leaf in San Diego. He was a bust. Does this make you reluctant to use a premium draft pick on a QB?

That’s a stupid question. Of course not. Any player could end up a bust. Nothing is certain.

— For Devaney: There's a concern that you're taking an overly conservative
    approach in building a roster. Your previous two No. 1 draft picks — defensive end Chris Long and offensive tackle Jason Smith — are reflective of that. Do you have it in you to make bold and daring decisions? Are you willing to take intelligent gambles? Or is this all about doing the safest thing in order to cover yourself and protect your job?
    Are you some sort of moron? First of all, the only people who have a “concern” are fantasy football geeks, Madden players, and idiot sportswriters. You build a team in the trenches. That’s been proven over and over again. That’s what we’re doing.

— For Devaney: Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh is the consensus top
    talent in the 2010 draft. But since we have so many empty spots on the roster, would it make sense to trade our No. 1 overall pick and add draft choices? Are you willing to do this if the right offer emerges? Or would you fear getting criticized by draft pundits for bypassing Suh?
    Depends on the offer, doesn’t it?

— For Devaney: You drafted Jason Smith No. 2 overall. Is there a reason why ot
    her rookie offensive tackles had better seasons than Smith? Why is it that Michael Oher, the No. 23 overall pick, seems to be a better player than Smith?
    Did we draft the wrong tackle?
    Oher had a good year, but Smith was injured, so you can’t say at this point who the beter player is. I have faith in Smith.

— For Devaney: The team wanted to draft running back Shonn Greene last year to be a strong No. 2 to Steven Jackson. But the New York Jets grabbed Green by
    trading up to move ahead of you at the top of the third round. Were you caught flat-footed?
    My God, you must be the dumbest man alive. What do you think, that we have every war room bugged so we know exactly what trades are being made and what who will be selected? The Jets made a good move. End of story
    — For Devaney: Why didn't you find a legitimate No. 2 running back? Given
    Steven Jackson's back injury, what are your plans to bring in a quality RB for
    support?
    You have to prioritize in this league. This year, getting Jackson some help is a priority.

— For Devaney: Do we plan to pursue a No. 1 wide receiver? Or will we be
    content to continue scooping up castoffs?
    What’s with this “we” stuff. You’re not on our staff. Also, what’s a “castoff”? A young player we acquire for a late round draft choice?
    — For Devaney and Spagnuolo: What are your plans for the quarterback position? If you want to stick with Marc Bulger, then what exactly are we paying you for? Is that the best you can do?

I’m sorry, I don’t respond to questions from PD Board trolls (that has to be the origin of that idiotic question).

— For Devaney: Do you want to acquire Michael Vick to play quarterback?

I certainly don’t want to be fined for tampering, so I’m not answering that.

— For Spagnuolo: How does Vick fit into your "Four Pillars" philosophy of
    wanting top-character individuals on your team?
    Didn’t read my last answer, huh?

— For Spags: Chris Long improved dramatically once you had no choice but to
    play him on every snap because of injuries at DE. If we drafted a guy No. 2 overall and are paying him a bunch of money, why was he being used as a part-time player when it's obvious he should have been on the field?
    We play the best players. Chris needed to work his way to that position, which he did.

— For Spags: Given the lack of a pass rush, why don't you blitz more often? We s
    aw more of that later in the season; why did it take so long? You liked to blitz as defensive coordinator with the NY Giants.
    Perhaps you failed to notice that our defensive backs suffered many injuries this year. Blitzing would have been a risk we didn’t need to take.

— For Spags: Why does quarterbacks coach Dick Curl have so much influence on
    your staff? Is there anything in his background that suggests he knows how to develop a quarterback? If we use a premium draft pick on a quarterback, don't we need a more acclaimed QB coach to handle a vitally important job?
    You know nothing about Dick Curl, so why are you asking this question?

— For Spags: Don't you need more experienced assistants on the defense —
    especially to coach your linebackers?
    No, we need more talented players.

— For Spags: Why did you keep so many timeouts in your pocket when you could
    have stopped the clock to give the offense a better chance to score during two-minute drills in close games?
    I have no idea what you are talking about.

— For Spags: Seeing that we drafted Jason Smith and gave him $33 million in
    guaranteed money, why did we waste so much of his rookie season before he suffered injuries — by playing him behind Adam Goldberg and Alex Barron? Wasn't this supposed to be a building season? Wasn't this the ideal time to let a rookie learn on the job so he'd be more advanced going into his second season?
    He started opening day, moron. The only reason he stopped playing was his injury. Seriously, did you recently suffer a head injury?

— Are you guys serious about wanting to bring Alex Barron back? You do know
    that he had the most penalties in the NFL again this season, right?
    When did I say we were going to bring him back?

— Do you fellows have a creative plan to fill our needs if the free-agent market is limited by an uncapped year?

Probably by signing the best players we can.

— How about Isaac Bruce as wide receivers coach?

I don’t know. Last time I checked, he was still an active player. Besides... I thought you didn't like inexperienced coaches.

— After a 1-15 season, a 6-42 mark over the last three seasons and all of those empty seats
    the final few home games in 2009, how do you plan to get our fans fired up for 2010? What can you do to make this team more exciting?
    Win more games.

— Are you guys sorry you took on this project?

This interview? Yes. The project of rebuilding the Rams? No.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -01-21-2010 at 11:08 AM.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Re: Bernie's Latest, Annotated (or... snappy answers to stupid questions)

I just read this on the PD site, thanks Av for saving me, and others, the time of going through the article and pointing out the stupidity of these questions.

This article is proof positive that Bernie's sole purpose is to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Rather that acting as voice of reason by pointing out the absurdity of the knee-jerk opinions of PD RamsTalk-type "fans," he gives them voice as if the should be deemed legitimate.

The saddest part is that Bernie does not need to do this. He is well established in St. Louis and need not cater to the drooling masses. But he isn't interested in truth, fair comment, journalism, realism or level headedness. He simply wants to scream from the rooftop and elicit the applause of people who can barely spell "football," much less analyze it.

The one thing that gives me comfort is the knowledge that it is unlikely that the conversation between ownership and Spags/Devaney looks ANYTHING like what Bernie has outlined. If it did, that would indicate that Chip has ZERO confidence in the football knowledge of Spags and Devaney, in which case... why hire them in the first place?

Bernie... you're a tool.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

The questions, particularly the ones surrounding Jason Smith and Chris Long, are beyond moronic.

If Michael Oher is so good, how comes he cant beat out Jared Gaither for the Left Tackle spot in Baltimore? The Ravens FO have already come out and said that they plan for Oher to stay at RT next season, with Gaither at LT. However, if i rememeber correctly the Rams FO have already come out and said that Jason Smith will be playing LT next season

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    The questions, particularly the ones surrounding Jason Smith and Chris Long, are beyond moronic.

If Michael Oher is so good, how comes he cant beat out Jared Gaither for the Left Tackle spot in Baltimore? The Ravens FO have already come out and said that they plan for Oher to stay at RT next season, with Gaither at LT. However, if i rememeber correctly the Rams FO have already come out and said that Jason Smith will be playing LT next season
    My sources tell me that Bernie never actually watched Oher or Smith play this year. He did, however, see The Blind Side.

Truth is... Bernie's more full of crap than a broken porta-potty at a 2 day chili cookoff.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Not that he had much credibility to begin with but to basically credit Sanchez for making it this far is absurd.

Yes he will probably be a great quarterback in the future but...

The Jets made it this far in spite of Sanchez not because of Sanchez.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    Not that he had much credibility to begin with but to basically credit Sanchez for making it this far is absurd.

Yes he will probably be a great quarterback in the future but...

The Jets made it this far in spite of Sanchez not because of Sanchez.
    Spot on. Sanchez was barely serviceable, and his measurables overall were just plain bad. It's easy to mask deficiencies when you have arguably the best OL in the NFL, the leagues #1 rated defense and #1 rushing offense.

Way to keep things in perspective Bernie.

RamOfDenmark Guest

The Sanchez hype is getting tiring. He only plays well sometimes in very limited action with a tremendous ground game, great defense, and very few throws per game - even then he's still more likely to throw a pick or two than a TD. With the supporting players we have he would be an utter disaster. Forced to throw way too much to catch up, unreliable receivers, so-so O-line (big step down from what he has now), crappy defense etc.

*Maybe* Sanchez will eventually be a good QB - but to credit him for taking the Jets to where they are now would be like saying that Trent Dilfer carried the Ravens through the playoffs and got them a Superbowl ring in 2000-2001. I don't regret not drafting Sanchez. Not yet.

You know... it occurs to me that while, for most people, "hindsight is 20/20"... that isn't the case for Bernie.

Even his hindsight is revisionist and myopic.

The Rammer Guest

Bernie Miklasz needs to be fired ASAP after this article. If he wants to write stupid articles like this, he should go to People Magazine.

TheRammer Guest

ive read some of his articles and he sounded like a decent minded guy but after reading this one im like WTF? holy hell what is worng with him? maybe his wife has cut him off from getting some booty so he went to work all pissed off....

Tony Banks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
    *Maybe* Sanchez will eventually be a good QB - but to credit him for taking the Jets to where they are now would be like saying that Trent Dilfer carried the Ravens through the playoffs and got them a Superbowl ring in 2000-2001. I don't regret not drafting Sanchez. Not yet.
    I totally agree.

Great job Avenger. I wanted to barf in my cereal when I read this trash this morning. Bernie is a total boob. I guess we may have finished 2-14 or 3-13 with a more experienced linebackers coach.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

I'm slightly disappointed you didn't take my ticket sale suggestion of putting Bernie in the stocks on one of the EJD concourses on gameday. Fans can throw fruit and vegetables at him for a dollar.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I agree that Jason Smith comments are really out of line. The guy had a concussion and barely played.

Regarding Devaney's alleged tendency to spend #1 draft picks conservatively just seems like prudence. You don't want to be Crazy Al taking Heyward-Bey in the first round. You want to take the guys in whom you have the most confidence. Who decides what an "intelligent" gamble is anyway? And is anybody else who actually wants this team to succeed advocating that we should gamble with the first overall pick?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I agree that Jason Smith comments are really out of line. The guy had a concussion and barely played.

Regarding Devaney's alleged tendency to spend #1 draft picks conservatively just seems like prudence. You don't want to be Crazy Al taking Heyward-Bey in the first round. You want to take the guys in whom you have the most confidence. Who decides what an "intelligent" gamble is anyway? And is anybody else who actually wants this team to succeed advocating that we should gamble with the first overall pick?
    Imagine if the Rams had taken a gamble on Aaron Curry or Vernon Gholston? By all accounts, those two have been terrible

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast