The Best Chance For Today Is To Play For Tommorow
I think the Rams need to adopt a long-term approach to the rest of the season. Doing so will certainly help for next year, and may be the best bet for this year. Here's what I would do:
This team has problems today, but I also think they have a crop of young players (Barron, Terrell, Bartell, Curtis, Jackson, etc.) who could will be key players in the years to come. Letting them play today may be the best thing for this season, and will certainly be the best thing for next year.
- Play the rookie DBs more. Travis Fisher is just not getting the job done. Bartell should be given a chance to show what he can do and to gain valuable experience. Fisher can play the nickel or dime role, which may be his future. He had potential, but seemingly countless injuries have taken their toll. Play Atogwe as well. Let's see what he can do. Let him make a mistake or two as he learns. Its not like the other safeties are playing lights out in coverage.
- Stick with Barron and Terrell. They are a big part of the Rams future. The experience they gain next this year will be huge next year.
- If Bruce and Holt are hurt, let them get well. Don't let a turf toe injury end Bruce's career and don't let Holt's injury turn into a major one.
- Quit shuffling Coakley and Claiborne out of the lineup. The only way we can see if they are the answer at LB is to let them stay on the field.
- Accept the failure of Brandon Manumaleuna. At this point, I'd rather see what Jerome Collins can do. BM is just a liability at this point.
- Keep giving the ball to Jackson - in the passing game and running game.
Re: The Best Chance For Today Is To Play For Tommorow
I've been saying this all year. You draft these guys to become stars, yet they sit for most of the season. It's obvious that ANYONE could cover better than Travis Fisher right now. Bartell played well, why didnt he take over for a guy that was obviously lost?
There's so much young defensive talent on this team that is just being wasted, let's see what it can do.