Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    live4ramin is offline Registered User

Re: The Best NFL fans

WE ARE NOT "THE GREATES SHOW ON TURF".

That was a decade ago. Kurt Warner and Marshall Faulk and Isacc Bruce have retired from the NFL. That was a special name for a special team at a special time that will live in history. That is not now. God forbid this goes on much longer and this team gets a name.

Kiss my ass, football gods

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    We need something really symbolic that'll engage the average person into becoming a fan of our organization,
    Outrage at being blacked out in Week One of the "Excitement" "New Buzz" "Sam Bradford" era? Because Fox sure seems to think a black out is coming.

This city is not a football town. Don't drag out the example of 1999-2001 to support your arguments about how well the city supports the team. The true proof of the team's support comes when things are going slightly less well, and by golly based on that this market has a problem. They were dodging blackouts three years into their St. Louis existence. Blackouts did start in the middle of the decade during a .500 season less than 5 years removed from the team's last trip to the Super Bowl.

Memo to St. Louisans-if you see the team as something a little more than a quaint urban status symbol, you need to start buying tickets. Now that Shawmunt is gone, you can't play the punishing poor management card.

hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Memo to St. Louisans-if you see the team as something a little more than a quaint urban status symbol, you need to start buying tickets. Now that Shawmunt is gone, you can't play the punishing poor management card.
    Thank you, this is exactly what i mean.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

So you expect an entire city of people to go from skeptical to total sell out and huge support that quickly? Speaking personally, I'm still worried it could all fall apart. I need to see a regular season game before that fear begins to be put to rest. I think it's crazy not selling out the home opener, but I'm going to judge the team for that long before I start judging a city.

Of course for those of you saying all this who all live well outside the city, it must be pretty easy to sit back and judge another city and accuse them of being "a baseball town" or considering the Rams to be just some sort of status symbol. For some reason it seems some people believe St.Louis is just full of rich fans who don't really care.

Most of the fans and most of the people here fill neither of those categories.

But hey what do I know, I just live 45 minutes away. Be annoyed that people aren't showing up all you want, but please stop telling people who live here what their city and fans are like, because you really have no idea. Even if you've been to a game in St.louis before it doesn't tell you everything. You have to live in a city (or near it) to fully understand what's going on there.

FilthyMcNasty is offline Registered User

When I made the trip across the pond in '08 I was more gutted by the fans than I was the team stinking, as that I expected. The team was roundly booed as they entered the field, which demoralised me so I'm sure it had that effect on the players, and during the game there were people sat around me (not tightly, as there were many empty seats) talking to each other and paying no attention to the game. A Dolphins fan a few rows in front was trashing the Rams and nobody blinked, until I said a few choice words about how the year before his team stank so badly they sent a game to London so they didn't have to watch it.

I understand the fans feeling despondent when the team is so crap for so long, but the negativity and apathy really shocked me, and I hope it isn't how things normally are. Like my fellow Brit from Essex, I think I'll wait a few years before returning to the Dome in the hope the fans are a bit more supportive.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    It never ceases to amuse me when people from several states away tell people who live in/around St.Louis what kind of town St.Louis is. Funny how no one seems to remember how massive the crowd was for the celebration of the 99 Superbowl or how the entire city went crazy for it.

The thing is, the city isn't a baseball town, it's a city that wants their football team to be good and as someone else said, doesn't support shoddy products. When the Blues were horrible a few years ago *no one went* to games, even though previously they had been rather well supported. Now that they were slowly getting back on their feet, people are coming back.

Is support for Cardinals baseball more obvious? Perhaps, but there is tradition there, the Cardinals are over a hundred years old and have never moved. The Rams have been here a much shorter time and once they get back on their feet and fans see that ownership is actually trying to sell a good product, rather than just put uniforms on the turn, people will show up.

It's not a matter of good or bad seasons, it's a matter of it seeming like the ownership *cares* that the team is bad. Now that it's obvious, people will return. It might take a bit, because people are paranoid and think everything might yet end in another disaster.
    Your explanation and observations are spot on.

But that is the exact same explanation of what happened in LA/OC years ago.

Georgia didn't care one way or another about winning, but only cared about maximizing profits. The fans of LA/OC knew this and stayed away in droves through the final years here, because who wanted to see a team that didn't really care about winning? When the Rams were successful, they had some of the most devoted fans in the country. That is a fact. Attendance records at the coliseum support that claim. But then Georgia and the attorneys took control and the rest is, shall we say; "history".

The biggest difference and perhaps the most disturbing thing now is that the Rams have new ownership, a new FA, a franchise QB, and they still can't sell out a home opener? I guess Missouri really is the "show-me' state.

But with the stadium issues looming, and new ownership, the fans in Missouri need to make a decision soon (on if they want to support the team or not) or there won't be a Rams game to sell out in the near future.

They'll be gone.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

So you expect an entire city of people to go from skeptical to total sell out and huge support that quickly? Speaking personally, I'm still worried it could all fall apart. I need to see a regular season game before that fear begins to be put to rest. I think it's crazy not selling out the home opener, but I'm going to judge the team for that long before I start judging a city.

Of course for those of you saying all this who all live well outside the city, it must be pretty easy to sit back and judge another city and accuse them of being "a baseball town" or considering the Rams to be just some sort of status symbol. For some reason it seems some people believe St.Louis is just full of rich fans who don't really care.

Most of the fans and most of the people here fill neither of those categories.

But hey what do I know, I just live 45 minutes away. Be annoyed that people aren't showing up all you want, but please stop telling people who live here what their city and fans are like, because you really have no idea. Even if you've been to a game in St.louis before it doesn't tell you everything. You have to live in a city (or near it) to fully understand what's going on there.
    When the overriding narrative coming out about the Rams locally is that there is an "excitement" and a "buzz" and that things are on the right track, combined with an August that can only be described as "disastrous" for the local baseball team, you'd expect that out of a metro population of almost 3 million you'd find 65,000 hardy/desperate souls who would attend a winnable season opener for the "excitement" team. At least if this was actually a good market for football.

If you want to keep the Rams in St. Louis. If you want to send a message to Kroenke that, yes, the Rams do have decent local support. Bottom line, the time to buy tickets is now.

The Rammer is offline Registered User

Rams fans are great fans. There just aren't many of us.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Your explanation and observations are spot on.

But that is the exact same explanation of what happened in LA/OC years ago.

Georgia didn't care one way or another about winning, but only cared about maximizing profits. The fans of LA/OC knew this and stayed away in droves through the final years here, because who wanted to see a team that didn't really care about winning? When the Rams were successful, they had some of the most devoted fans in the country. That is a fact. Attendance records at the coliseum support that claim. But then Georgia and the attorneys took control and the rest is, shall we say; "history".

The biggest difference and perhaps the most disturbing thing now is that the Rams have new ownership, a new FA, a franchise QB, and they still can't sell out a home opener? I guess Missouri really is the "show-me' state.

But with the stadium issues looming, and new ownership, the fans in Missouri need to make a decision soon (on if they want to support the team or not) or there won't be a Rams game to sell out in the near future.

They'll be gone.
    I agree, people need to show up and soon. I'm not entirely shocked that the home opener isn't sold out yet, but it does still surprise me. For the record, I've never judged LA's fans and their attendance, partly because I know rather little about it and partly because I don't care to. If people want apathetic fan bases though, there are better teams to pick on than the Rams. I'd help sell out another ticket, but it's way out of my price range currently. Hopefully someone picks up the remaining 2,000 so I don't have to watch the game on nfl.com and listen to the stupid radio.

Quote Originally Posted by FilthyMcNasty View Post
    When I made the trip across the pond in '08 I was more gutted by the fans than I was the team stinking, as that I expected. The team was roundly booed as they entered the field, which demoralised me so I'm sure it had that effect on the players, and during the game there were people sat around me (not tightly, as there were many empty seats) talking to each other and paying no attention to the game. A Dolphins fan a few rows in front was trashing the Rams and nobody blinked, until I said a few choice words about how the year before his team stank so badly they sent a game to London so they didn't have to watch it.

I understand the fans feeling despondent when the team is so crap for so long, but the negativity and apathy really shocked me, and I hope it isn't how things normally are. Like my fellow Brit from Essex, I think I'll wait a few years before returning to the Dome in the hope the fans are a bit more supportive.

Ah the British: "there were people sat around me."

Used to have a British friend, reminds me of good times.

Anyway, once people see the team really does care about winning, people will be back and focusing on the game. If you want evidence, look at a Blues or Cardinals game. The Blues lost almost the entire fan base not very long ago, it's coming back, because the team cares again. At least, that's my impression.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Talk to any sports fan in this country, listen to any announcer or anyone else with a little knowledge of sports and its fans and they will tell you that St. Louis is a baseball town. This is hardly a knock; it is an acknowledgement of the people in that city who root for AND ATTEND Cardinals games in good years and in bad. It is a nod to the fine tradition of the Cardinals and the city. And they are also some of the classiest fans in sports. One doesn't have to live in or near St. Louis to understand or acknowledge this anymore than they would have to live at the beach in NJ to understand not everyone acts like the jerks in Jersey Shore.

Conversely, the Rams are a transplant. They've been in St. Louis for 15 years. While not impossible, it is hard to imagine the Rams getting the type of widespread, loyal support given to their baseball counterparts. And certainly, the last few years haven't helped their cause.

Forget the Colosieum, when the Rams were in Anaheim, their crowds were embarrassing and blackouts were commonplace. They had some good teams under Georgia's tenure and fans were still apathetic. And like I said in my earlier post on this thread, the Rams aren't even in the conversation when it comes to the question of "who has the most dedicated, best fans in football". Every one of us is the obvious exception!!

The problem is when people on this forum say "baseball town" it is generally understood to be a knock on the city because of the tone in which it is used. This is the only place I've ever seen the phrase used that way.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

BrokenWing-

I can tell you in all sincerity, I use the term "baseball town" with respect and affection. Number one, I love baseball, and number two my two experiences while visiting St. Louis have been outstanding. Saw a Cardinals game several yrs. ago before attending the Rams game the next day. Had standing room only seats and two people actually offered me their seats at the stadium. I couldn't believe the courtesy of those people. Nothing but good to say about St. Louis the city.

In any event, let's start this desired trend of great fan support with a win vs. Arizona Sunday!!

Good to know =).

Yes, Arizona sucks...I hope to see DA fall flat on his face as their starting QB. If he plays anything like he did for Cleveland last year Arizona could be in for a long, long season.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

The problem is when people on this forum say "baseball town" it is generally understood to be a knock on the city because of the tone in which it is used. This is the only place I've ever seen the phrase used that way.
    Yea, I gotta agree with Wing. Personally, I love that St. Louis is a "baseball town". Because typically it's used as an homage to the great tradition of the Cardinals.

But around here, when St. Louis is called a baseball town, the sub-text is "a baseball town...........that doesn't give a crap about football".
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast