Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    TheTalkOfTheArch is offline Registered User

Re: The Best NFL fans

I'll be happy when LA gets another team and these people can fall off the face of the earth. Just a bunch of punks that never came to a game in St. Louis in their whole life trying to stir up trouble and slander our great city. You're more than welcome at the Dome but don't direspect the hometown.

Another thing stop expecting rams fans to be like cardinals fans. The NFL isn't a league that's congenial to polite fans like the Cardinals have. the NFL doesn't celebrate with standing Ovations for a thrown interception. Philly threw batteries at Santa Claus and St. Louis doesn't have the right to boo a 1 and 15 team? Yeah there boos last year, especially when you had a knucklehead like Incognito on the field. Its their right to boo, they bought tickets and showed up. I believe in Spagnuolo and the Organization and look forward to this season. St. Louis knows when to boo and when to cheer. Sam got a standing ovation when he came on the field. People were happy as hell we beat the Patriots (Our real rival) a couple of weeks ago.

As for other teams fans in the stadium, its a sad sight for everyone to see but they made the trip, why not you guys? Hawaii? England? LA? Hello?

PeoriaRam is a queer. Status Symbol? You provided no context for that. You think we want the rams as some sort of validation? People use "baseball town" as a knock but we need the NFL for validation? Gimme a break that's bull**** and doesn't make sense.. If baseball was all we cared about we wouldn't look to the NFL, the Cardinals would be all we need. We got the rams because we wanted a football team and we like football. St. Louis loves its teams Rams Cardinals it doesn't matter. approx 114/120 games soldout. Go ask a Colts fan how it felt when St. Louis Rams fans showed up in THEIR stadium. It happens to everybody, its happened to everybody. In all sports people have short memories, its a double edged sword. In this case, people are trying to project some false reality about St. Louis fans. Stop it.

St. Louis got burned by Bidwell and the Cardinals and when the Football Cardinals were here they stunk. The Rams have been here 15 years, the GSOT is the only glory days we have so people obsess over it and the GSOT didn't end well, and people haven't washed that sour taste out of their mouths yet. The city can't look to any other period and say "Oh the Rams will be back on top again". The Football Cardinals were never any good and they left. Yet there's still a generation of St. Louis Football fans that haven't let them go.

A generation hasn't grown up with the Rams as their team yet. If you're 30 you had a team already when the Rams showed up. 20-22year olds are probably the closest thing to the rams first generation of fans. This team is just taking root in this city so screw you. Another thing they're going to continue to be here.

This is the beginning of what hopefully is the next great chapter for St. Louis and the Rams. I'm sick of people like the OP and PeoriaRam trying to rain on the parade. You're not even apart of the rams fanbase, you're some guy 2000+ miles away in hawaii watching on a tv. You know who else does that? The opposing team's fans. You're no different than them.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheTalkOfTheArch View Post
    I'll be happy when LA gets another team and these people can fall off the face of the earth. Just a bunch of punks that never came to a game in St. Louis in their whole life trying to stir up trouble and slander our great city. You're more than welcome at the Dome but don't direspect the hometown.

Another thing stop expecting rams fans to be like cardinals fans. The NFL isn't a league that's congenial to polite fans like the Cardinals have. the NFL doesn't celebrate with standing Ovations for a thrown interception. Philly threw batteries at Santa Claus and St. Louis doesn't have the right to boo a 1 and 15 team? Yeah there boos last year, especially when you had a knucklehead like Incognito on the field. Its their right to boo, they bought tickets and showed up. I believe in Spagnuolo and the Organization and look forward to this season. St. Louis knows when to boo and when to cheer. Sam got a standing ovation when he came on the field. People were happy as hell we beat the Patriots (Our real rival) a couple of weeks ago.

As for other teams fans in the stadium, its a sad sight for everyone to see but they made the trip, why not you guys? Hawaii? England? LA? Hello?

PeoriaRam is a queer. Status Symbol? You provided no context for that. You think we want the rams as some sort of validation? People use "baseball town" as a knock but we need the NFL for validation? Gimme a break that's bull**** and doesn't make sense.. If baseball was all we cared about we wouldn't look to the NFL, the Cardinals would be all we need. We got the rams because we wanted a football team and we like football. St. Louis loves its teams Rams Cardinals it doesn't matter. approx 114/120 games soldout. Go ask a Colts fan how it felt when St. Louis Rams fans showed up in THEIR stadium. It happens to everybody, its happened to everybody. In all sports people have short memories, its a double edged sword. In this case, people are trying to project some false reality about St. Louis fans. Stop it.

St. Louis got burned by Bidwell and the Cardinals and when the Football Cardinals were here they stunk. The Rams have been here 15 years, the GSOT is the only glory days we have so people obsess over it and the GSOT didn't end well, and people haven't washed that sour taste out of their mouths yet. The city can't look to any other period and say "Oh the Rams will be back on top again". The Football Cardinals were never any good and they left. Yet there's still a generation of St. Louis Football fans that haven't let them go.

A generation hasn't grown up with the Rams as their team yet. If you're 30 you had a team already when the Rams showed up. 20-22year olds are probably the closest thing to the rams first generation of fans. This team is just taking root in this city so screw you. Another thing they're going to continue to be here.

This is the beginning of what hopefully is the next great chapter for St. Louis and the Rams. I'm sick of people like the OP and PeoriaRam trying to rain on the parade. You're not even apart of the rams fanbase, you're some guy 2000+ miles away in hawaii watching on a tv. You know who else does that? The opposing team's fans. You're no different than them.
    See, now if the fans at the stadium showed that kind of attitude....
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Bad mood post, deleting it.
    Last edited by berg8309; -09-08-2010 at 07:50 PM.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Hi, I'm one of that first generation you were carrying on about. I use the baseball town knock because like most football fans, I can't quite comprehend why people make such a big falutin' deal about a sport that appears to be governed by probability as much as your average poker game and that considers a 60 loss team to be ridiculously awesome.

However, as a Cardinal fan who does not consider himself to be a member of Redbird Nation, I can't help but think that a greater willingness to criticize out of Redbird Nation would have prevented some of LaRussa's worse excesses. Such as making a guy whose knowledge of improving hitting consists of knowing which vein to stick the needle in the hitting coach. I sometimes think that Redbird Nation is closer to those Cubs fans they ridicule than they think.

I have also noticed that discussions among Redbird Nation treat the Rams and their fans as separate from them. There is no sense of ownership and investment related to the Rams compared to the Cardinals; it is seen as the Rams and their fans. Fifteen years into the move, that is not a good sign.

The urban status symbol complaint is related to that. All of the protestations that the Rams should stay in town boil down to intangible "yeah folks like the Rams here" and "look at the Super Bowl season." The franchise is facing an existential crisis, and all St. Louisans can be moved to do is say those two things, not something tangible like season ticket drives or active efforts to get people into the stadium. Blackouts and near blackouts have been far more common for the franchise than instant sellouts, and that combined with Redbird Nation's lack of buyin is not a good sign this far in. Indeed all the intangibles and the Super Bowl seasons mean that this market is merely the NFL's second-greatest disaster since 1995, with Jacksonville being the first.

TheTalkOfTheArch is offline Registered User

season opener sold out. nuff said.

and no you're not one of those first generation fans I was carrying on about. You live in peoria. Its not the same. Are you a season ticket holder? Do you live in St. Louis? You don't have any ties to the area and this brouhaha is about St. Louis fans.

Redbird Nation and RamsFans aren't mutually exclusive yet you're pestering on as if they are. I'm a Cardinals fan and I'm a Rams fan. Redbird Nation doesn't hate the Rams.

Furthermore Rams management is doing great things in this town to improve fanbase. Their going to have a number of meet and greets throughout the season they had draft parties all throughout the metro area. I'm confident their efforts will be rewarded. 15 years isn't enough time to judge a fanbase but if you're going to do that. I think we fair as expected certainly compared to the older franchises.

Blackouts and near blackouts? The Rams are only allowed to "save" themselves from two blackouts per year soo...where are you getting this data to back up your conjectures?

You don't live in the city, where are you getting this "feel" or pulse from? Certainly not here, this board is full of LA fans.

Second greatest disaster since 1995 is a joke, you're not worth talking to.

One last thing I forgot to mention, the "first generation" of St. Louis Rams fans they're in college or they're just coming out of college and they don't have jobs yet. I'm patient I'm positive. You're pessimistic and annoying. That being said I'd take our last 15 years over a lot of other franchises last 15 years. Fanbase and all.
    Last edited by TheTalkOfTheArch; -09-08-2010 at 09:19 PM. Reason: No need for the last comment.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Keep it civil, people.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

helorm341 is offline Registered User

I would say I'm a generational Rams fan. I love the Rams, I've been going to games since they played in the old Busch Stadium for their first game, my dad got season tickets from day 1. I'm 24 years old, I think I was probably two years old when the Cardinals left and obviously i have no recollection of them at all

I didn't know a lot about the game when I first started going to games, always having to ask my dad what the latest penalty was really for. I never really watched football at all before the Rams came here, I don't really have a memory of the LA Rams either. But I go to see awful football, followed by outstanding football, and now we're back to square 1..

There are a lot of people like me that grew up with the Rams but aren't quite established enough to start buying tickets. I think it takes a winning tradition and a long period of time and a winning history. But I think the team has many hardcore fans coming up through the ranks now because of the GSOT. Look at the listed fan bases that are great (although I disagree the Raiders are....) what do they have in common? They've been in their respective city for a long time and they have been very successful football teams. The reason that the Lions aren't packed every week isn't because they just live in an area with bad fans, it's because they have sucked throughout their entire history.

As others have stated here, you do not need to be a winner to draw a crowd in St Louis. We aren't bandwagon fans. You just have to have a product that is improving, heading towards the light, we won't sell-out venues for teams that are in the toilet with no hope of getting out.

Lastly, any degradation to St Louis or it fans on this thread is not only ignorant but it's also misdirected. You are only talking to hard core fans on here and your only goal is to anger them. Fair weather fans who don't care about the team since they went 1-15 last year, are not on this message board reading your rants.
    Last edited by helorm341; -09-08-2010 at 10:56 PM.

San Diego Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsanddodgers View Post
    Huh?

Homer Marshman founded the Rams and named them after the Fordham (University) Rams as well as using the same colors (Black and Red).

Rosenbloom originally owned the Baltimore Colts and traded them to Dan Reeves for the Rams and some cash.

As far as the topic of this thread, I still come across many Rams fans out here in whiners/faders country. Actually with no local team we have quite the smorgasbord of fans but Bay area teams seem to outnumber all others.

Financially, it is harder each year for fans to support their teams in person and the advance of television technologies make it easier to stay away from stadiums and enjoy a better view, cheaper concessions, faster/more convenient restroom visits.

The only disadvantage is one misses out on the 'experience' of the live venue and the interaction with the myriad of fans as opposed to his/her circle of Rams/football fans.

The Bash notwithstanding, of course!
    You read this on madden huh?

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by hill_Bartell=Probowl View Post
    You read this on madden huh?
    hill_Bartell=Probowl? c'mon.... get on your game Fletcher_Bartell=Probowl

San Diego Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    hill_Bartell=Probowl? c'mon.... get on your game Fletcher_Bartell=Probowl
    to make matters worse i got a Hill Jersey.... hahaha and i got an Archuelta jersey too. What about Murphy Bartell????

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

season opener sold out. nuff said.

and no you're not one of those first generation fans I was carrying on about. You live in peoria. Its not the same. Are you a season ticket holder? Do you live in St. Louis? You don't have any ties to the area and this brouhaha is about St. Louis fans.
    This very parochialism is one of the reasons the franchise is in trouble. You need to have a regional fanbase to survive in the modern NFL, and the Rams under Frontiere never grasped that.

Redbird Nation and RamsFans aren't mutually exclusive yet you're pestering on as if they are. I'm a Cardinals fan and I'm a Rams fan. Redbird Nation doesn't hate the Rams.
    In case you didn't notice, I was differentiating between Cardinals fans and Redbird Nation. Redbird Nation is the hyper-loyal Tony LaRussa is awesome and buys/parrots the "best fans in baseball" verbal fellatio without question. Cardinals fans just like the baseball team and are interested in its success, but would like to see some changes if necessary and would rather everybody just shut up about the "best fans in baseball" bit. Also, they concede there is a place for not being nice.

Furthermore Rams management is doing great things in this town to improve fanbase. Their going to have a number of meet and greets throughout the season they had draft parties all throughout the metro area. I'm confident their efforts will be rewarded. 15 years isn't enough time to judge a fanbase but if you're going to do that. I think we fair as expected certainly compared to the older franchises.
    Carolina, Tennessee, and Baltimore are all doing very well 15 years in, so obviously the short time frame wasn't a problem for them. Houston is also doing reasonably well. (And all are doing a heck of a lot better than the Rams) It strikes me that 15 years is plenty of time to see how the franchise is faring.

Blackouts and near blackouts? The Rams are only allowed to "save" themselves from two blackouts per year soo...where are you getting this data to back up your conjectures?
    TV blackouts are published in newspapers regularly, as are reports of the Rams either buying up blocks of tickets (or charitable businesses) to avoid the blackouts. In addition, we have such phenomena as armed forces day (for every ticket sold, one is comped to a serviceman or woman). There is actually documented evidence of the Rams buying out blocks of tickets in 1998 en masse to avoid one blackout.

You don't live in the city, where are you getting this "feel" or pulse from? Certainly not here, this board is full of LA fans.

Second greatest disaster since 1995 is a joke, you're not worth talking to.
    There are plenty of Ram (and Cardinal for that matter) online communities that I peak in on from time to time. I certainly can get a good read on the pulse through all of that. As for the disaster thing, the league has entered or re-entered 8 markets since 1995 (Oakland, Jax, Carolina, Baltimore, Cleveland, Houston, Tennessee, and St. Louis.) Only Jacksonville is doing measurably worse than the Rams.

One last thing I forgot to mention, the "first generation" of St. Louis Rams fans they're in college or they're just coming out of college and they don't have jobs yet. I'm patient I'm positive. You're pessimistic and annoying. That being said I'd take our last 15 years over a lot of other franchises last 15 years. Fanbase and all.
    On the field sure, there's the Super Bowl and all. Off the field....um...I've gotta pass on that.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Those of you really pissed with Peoria, just do what I did a long time ago and put him on your ignore list. You'll see his name and nothing after it, then just fill in the blank with something like what he usually posts in your head and move on. Actually kind of amusing.

Lets tell stories, stories are fun!

Here's mine:

I was what...13 when the Rams moved here, didn't know anything about Football (or anything else more than likely) but my dad liked Football, he grew up with the Football Cardinals and stopped watching when they moved out. He was happy when the Rams moved back and started watching them, I did too because they were on TV and I'd never seen it before. Aside from some playoff games and the Superbowl, I vaguely remember the 99 season. Kept watching over the years and educated myself on Football's rules, regulations and so on by, of all things, playing Madden. (Madden himself doesn't sound stupid when he says obvious things if you don't know all of what's going on)

Eventually I became a diehard fan. Now I'm the guy everyone in my family (who are much more casual fans) goes to for the latest news and information about the Rams. Admittedly, some of the family is more into baseball than football and so vaguely know what's going on (and generally ask me when they don't) with the Rams but it has nothing to do with not liking the Rams, but because part of my family was *raised* on baseball. Who was raised on NFL football in my family? Me, maybe.

So...yeah, it takes time for a hardcore fan base to develop in a city, thirty years would constitute about two, two and a half generations. If we have this problem (and team) in 15 more years, we can talk again then. In the mean time, people should understand that 2nd Generation fans are just now coming into being. Hell, I don't have kids yet.

You guys in LA and elsewhere are thinking and acting like this team has been here for 60 years or more. This team is basically new to the city still (15 years is a very short amount of time when you're talking about institutions and the establishment of tradition) you can't expect it to provide a baseball Cardinals or Green Bay Packers style fan base. The Cardinals came into being in this city a hundred years or more ago, the Green Bay Packers date back at least 70 years if I remember correctly, the Steelers are equally old, with roots and traditions dating back beyond World War Two. Just counting since the CardPitt days (world war 2) that's 70 years in the same city. In 70 years you see the development of three, to four generations. That's where tradition and super support come from.

Football itself actually has a long history in and around the St.Louis area, the only problem is it hasn't always been the same team, thus preventing the establishment of long term traditions. Why are members of my family such huge Cardinals fans they have named children after famous Cardinals players? Because their parents were huge Cardinals fans and so on. Can you say that about Rams fans (in the St.Louis area)? No. Why? Because the team hasn't been here long enough. Think of it this way, the team moved here 15 years ago, in all that time I've only reached the age of 27. Even if I had children at the age of 16 (wow!) they'd only be around the age of 13. That's only a generation and a half, and that's starting rather early.

It takes at least 15 years for a single generation to develop, to say nothing of them moving on and having children of their own.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Wow, what a train wreck of a thread. One point I will throw out in regard to the blackout is the introduction of Directv and other media venues such as the NFL network. I read a story yesterday about how even the NFL is looking at this. TV viewership is way up, yet game attendance is down. Add to that the increased breakdown in civility (see previous posts in this thread for reference) and you can see why people do not want to go to games, especially families. Is it Sunday yet?
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

helorm341 is offline Registered User

In case you didn't notice, I was differentiating between Cardinals fans and Redbird Nation. Redbird Nation is the hyper-loyal Tony LaRussa is awesome and buys/parrots the "best fans in baseball" verbal fellatio without question. Cardinals fans just like the baseball team and are interested in its success, but would like to see some changes if necessary and would rather everybody just shut up about the "best fans in baseball" bit. Also, they concede there is a place for not being nice.
    I think the moniker is a bit cliche, but I would definitely say that Cardinals fans are among some of the best (loyalty/attendance/knowledge of the game/overall support...)in baseball.

I love the Blues and Cardinals and Rams. I don't understand why some think that it can't be possible.

On the field sure, there's the Super Bowl and all. Off the field....um...I've gotta pass on that.
    Why would you slap loyal St Louis fans in the face? Any bandwagon fans aren't going to read this, the just loyal ones.

This team has won SIX games in three years, six! 6-42. How many cities would sell out a team like that? Not many at all. Add to this the fact that the Rams have only been here for 15 years and it's no wonder why a few games have been blacked out over the past three years.

I think that only Green Bay, Cleveland, maybe Pittsburgh would be the only cities to continue to fill a stadium with that awful of a record. Even New York would have empty seats after a run like that.

If the team is decent this year the Dome is going to be rocking once again. People are excited by the team, actual attendance to pre-season games looked about as good as anywhere in the league, the training camp scrimmage had to turn people away and they could hold 8k. The players have said that there are a hell of a lot more people at practice then there had been recently, even Spags has mentioned that. There's regularly been thousands attending training camp and two years ago you probably could have on one hand the amount of people there (ok that's an exaggeration but it was extremely low).

Is it really so awful that the Dome didn't sell out every game for the past few years? Maybe so, but I think it wouldn't have been any different in about 95% of NFL cities.

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

"As for other teams fans in the stadium, its a sad sight for everyone to see but they made the trip, why not you guys? Hawaii? England? LA? Hello?....."

I did. From the UK........twice.

First time for the 2000 season, and again for the 2001 season (Monday night game V's the Bucc's)

The first time I travelled in 2000, I travelled alone but bought two tickets with me in the hope of meeting up with a fellow friend/fan and perhaps go to the game together.

I did. She worked at some poor mans 'Hooters' bar, near 'Jakes Stakes'. I think it was called 'Showme's!' or something like that.
    For the 2001 season I brought over a friend.

Anyway, In total both trips including flights, spending money, accommodation, tickets, and more travel cost me around £2,300. What's that? nearly four thousand dollars!?!?

Throw your smack elsewhere my friend, and consider yourself very fortunate to be able to watch the Rams live, week in - week out. A luxury that I had never had in 27 years of following them (up until my two trips in 2000/01)

Family comes first now though which is why I have never been back. But I'd go again in a heartbeat if the money was there. Crap team or great team.
    Last edited by UK Ramfan 83; -09-09-2010 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Clarity..

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast