Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: The Best NFL fans

Quote Originally Posted by Peoria
    As for the disaster thing, the league has entered or re-entered 8 markets since 1995 (Oakland, Jax, Carolina, Baltimore, Cleveland, Houston, Tennessee, and St. Louis.) Only Jacksonville is doing measurably worse than the Rams.
    Actually, of the teams listed, Jax and Oakland both averaged fewer attendance in total and by percentage of capacity. While not on your list, Detroit also fits that bill.

Attendance is down everywhere. The Rams had their worst season since moving last year with 55k per game. But that was still better than the Jags (49k), Lions (49k) and the Raiders (44k).

Personally, I think winning fixes everything. St. Louis was handed a crappy team back 15 years ago; ugliest franchise not located in Cincinatti. And after the newness of being a Rams fan wore off, the city wanted more. In '99 they got it. And for several years, the TWA/Ed was one of the toughest road games in the league.

But eventually the great magical powers of incompetence held by the beast, Shawgmunt, destroyed this franchise. There were more "L"s than "W"s and fans have started spending their entertainment dollars elsewhere. With the exception of Green Bay (I mean what else are they gonna do on a Sunday? Eat cheese?), any other franchise that wins 6 games in 3 years is going to see similar numbers.

I believe I heard they sold out this weekend. Good sign. Now, if the Rams can answer with a "W", maybe the turn around has begun.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

FilthyMcNasty is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheTalkOfTheArch View Post
    As for other teams fans in the stadium, its a sad sight for everyone to see but they made the trip, why not you guys? Hawaii? England? LA? Hello?
    Eh? I made the trip from England to STL, and will do so again, so I don't quite understand what you're getting at.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by TheTalkOfTheArch
    As for other teams fans in the stadium, its a sad sight for everyone to see but they made the trip, why not you guys? Hawaii? England? LA? Hello?
    Quote Originally Posted by FilthyMcNasty View Post
    Eh? I made the trip from England to STL, and will do so again, so I don't quite understand what you're getting at.
    Yeah, I don't understand either. I've made the trip from Southern California to St. Louis the last three years. I also support the Rams regularly in Arizona and San Francisco, as well as Oakland and San Diego when they're on the schedule. HELLO!

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I'm sick of people like the OP and PeoriaRam trying to rain on the parade. You're not even apart of the rams fanbase, you're some guy 2000+ miles away in hawaii watching on a tv. You know who else does that? The opposing team's fans. You're no different than them.

This comment is probably the worst statement I have ever read on this board, and to reply to this with my 2000th post...

First, there is no class shown in this statement, and second, it is a blatant lie.

Who the hell are you to call another Rams fan not part of the Ram's fanbase? Really? Stating another Rams fan as no different than an opposing team's fan?

You're saying just because someone lives in another state, and does not have the advantage of living 25 minutes away from the Dome and instead watches from their T.V, is not really a Rams fan? That the thousands of Rams fan scattered around the U.S, and around the world, are not really Rams fans because we can't attend every game?

Are you serious?

Are you even a season ticket holder?

You act like the Rams is an intimate possession of yours, and by the way you are sounding, you seem to dispise Rams fans that are not from St. Louis. The Rams never even originated in St. Louis, so acting like the Rams always belonged to the city of St. Louis is immature.

I am not trying to bag on the city of St. Louis, nor its residents. But if you are proud enough to call yourself a St. Louisian, then you must represent the inhabitants there. And if you are representing them with this attitude, then I'm greatly disappointed.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

This is obviously a hot-button topic, but we still need to remember to keep the discussion civil as it moves forward.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

To be fair, this statement isn't the most amazing from another person's perspective either:

"Are you even a season ticket holder?"

But that aside, I think there are other people from the area to look at for an impression of St.Louis fans than someone who obviously got very angry and made an unfortunate post. I wouldn't say any city really "owns" the Rams in that regard, considering its history of moving.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    To be fair, this statement isn't the most amazing from another person's perspective either:

"Are you even a season ticket holder?"

But that aside, I think there are other people from the area to look at for an impression of St.Louis fans than someone who obviously got very angry and made an unfortunate post. I wouldn't say any city really "owns" the Rams in that regard, considering its history of moving.
    Well, the poster I was referring to acted as though no one was a true fan unless they could attend all games, and lived in St. Louis.

So, I asked him is he a season ticket holder. If he's not, that's kind of contradicting, isn't it?

I used him as an example for St. Louis because he obviously got very emotional to what the OP said. And that's fair enough. However, there's a right way and a wrong way to use that emotion.

I know what you were saying, I was just pointing out that it wasn't hard for someone else to see it and take it wrong. I wouldn't worry about it.

I think the poster in question just got pissed off and overly defensive. It's easy to do sometimes because from the perspective of someone who lives in the area...we feel under attack quite frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    I know what you were saying, I was just pointing out that it wasn't hard for someone else to see it and take it wrong. I wouldn't worry about it.

I think the poster in question just got pissed off and overly defensive. It's easy to do sometimes because from the perspective of someone who lives in the area...we feel under attack quite frequently.
    Yeah, I understand that. Personally, I think St. Louis has done pretty well in adopting the Rams. People need to understand that there are a good amount St. Louisans and the people nearby that have passionately adopted the Rams, even with the Rams having no tradition there.

I just felt that the poster had no right in attacking other Rams fans, which is disgusting.

Yeah, attacks on other fans are wrong.

TheTalkOfTheArch is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    This comment is probably the worst statement I have ever read on this board, and to reply to this with my 2000th post...

First, there is no class shown in this statement, and second, it is a blatant lie.

Who the hell are you to call another Rams fan not part of the Ram's fanbase? Really? Stating another Rams fan as no different than an opposing team's fan?

You're saying just because someone lives in another state, and does not have the advantage of living 25 minutes away from the Dome and instead watches from their T.V, is not really a Rams fan? That the thousands of Rams fan scattered around the U.S, and around the world, are not really Rams fans because we can't attend every game?

Are you serious?

Are you even a season ticket holder?

You act like the Rams is an intimate possession of yours, and by the way you are sounding, you seem to dispise Rams fans that are not from St. Louis. The Rams never even originated in St. Louis, so acting like the Rams always belonged to the city of St. Louis is immature.

I am not trying to bag on the city of St. Louis, nor its residents. But if you are proud enough to call yourself a St. Louisian, then you must represent the inhabitants there. And if you are representing them with this attitude, then I'm greatly disappointed.
    You can't take the 'holier than thou' approach living in hawaii. You can't ATTACK St. Louis and pontificate "if only I had/were/could". I'm going to call you on that EVERYTIME. If this were a case of morality, you would have no upper ground. You can't excuse your situation and slander an entire city in the same breath. That's what you did and it ticked me off. This thread is about St. Louis fans. I'd take the critique on the chin if it were coming from somebody in the city drumming up support talking in the bars buying season tickets going to events. But you...You gotta understand how that makes you look what you did there. Its disgusting.

And my opinion still stands, to me you're no different than an opposing fan. Maybe your a ram fan but where it counts I don't see you. Maybe you have a jersey or something, thanks. Its a slap in the face to guys that spend their hard earned money to come to a game and cheer and fall out of stands for somebody's shoe at the end of a 1 and 15 season. Its disrespectful to the organization that as we speak is planning a rally at kiener plaza this weekend. An organization trying to provide fans with a wonderful tailgate experience. If you framed it better, maybe offered ideas, some encouragement maybe things would have gone differently. I'm not for broadstrokes guy, you wanna offer an experience a few instances fine. No broadstrokes.

Sorry for saying you're no rams fan, and I apologize to the mods and anybody else if you felt I was out of line. There's a difference though, you may cheer on your tv in honolulu you can root for the rams but I gotta think there's a difference between that and the guy at the game. You may go even crazier than the guy at the game, but there's a difference. He's there and can contribute interact effect the mood at the dome, being a St. Louis Rams fan is a shared experience. Clanram is an alright site but it ain't home of the Rams. They play their homegames at the Dome. You're in hawaii...you're extraterrestrial yeah I believe you exist but until you get out the spaceship and walk into the dome...I'd look like a fool in the meantime bringing ya up.

But to end this on a good note, I apologize but there's nuances to this thing, and like I said you're more than welcome to come to St. Louis and be a Rams fan when and where it matters. Love to have ya here.
    Last edited by TheTalkOfTheArch; -09-10-2010 at 02:43 AM.

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

First of all, the original poster DID NOT rip St. Louis. He simply challenged the people in that city who love the Rams to go to games and support the team. He talked about fans in other cities going to games- regardless of record. He expressed his frustration at other fans in other cities being spoken about in glowing terms while Rams fans aren't. The OP has a right to his opinion, expressed it in a decent manner and was ripped for his efforts by a couple of you guys who need to get a much thicker skin.

The Giants were terrible for YEARS, yet that stadium was filled to capacity every Sunday. Same for the Jets, who have also stunk and haven't been to a SuperBowl in 41 years. Games have NEVER been blacked out. Diitto for Green Bay. Ditto for Cleveland. Ditto for several other cities. The OP's post about fan support regardless of record is dead on. And living 2000 miles away, he'd kill for the opportunity to regularly attend games- unlike many fans who live a lot closer and choose not to.

The notion that one "isn't a part of the fan base" because he lives in another state is ridiculous, inaccurate, unfair and one of the more ignorant things a guy could post on this forum. I could argue that all you people in St. Louis should be Cardinals fans because they were there before the Rams and you should have stuck with them regardless of your feelings toward Bidwell. And yet that wouldn't be fair either- especially to younger generation Rams fans. If you like and follow the team, you're a fan. If you buy and wear the merchandise, you're a fan. If you watch the games, you're a fan. If you're knowledgable about the Rams and their history, you're a fan. And if you're fortunate enough to attend games, you're a fan. No one on this board is any better than anyone else- despite the efforts of some to make it appear that way from time to time.

If you live in the St. Louis area and are a Rams fan and choose not to go to games, fine- that's certainly your right. But don't in the same breath bellyache about a "lack of support", "blackouts", "why our fans aren't loyal", etc.. You can't have it both ways. Devaney, Spags, Kroenke and everyone else in that organization is doing their damndest to get that team turned around. The stadium should be filled for their efforts.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Wow! We haven't even played a regular season game yet and we're going at it on the board. Anyone care if I start a Bulger sux thread? C'mon man!!!!!!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

this is a glaring problem OP? of the 120 home games they've all been accompanied by an apathetic crowd? I appreciate you trying to drum up support and energy but don't trash St. Louis fans. That's not how you wake up a fanbase. You travel to the games and lead the cheers. Don't disrespect a city you've never been to, 2000 miles away. You come be the Fireman Ed of the Dome and then you can have your say about the fans. You invent the rams equivalent of the terrible towel or the signature chant then you can say something. Until then, the only thing I care to hear from you are ideas. Every fanbase is self-critical during the bad times.

raiders fans go to all their games? you've watched all their games? You're comparing apples to oranges. of our 120 games how many were blacked out? 5, 6? The raiders have a tradition, we're just getting our feet wet in St. Louis and frankly we're not off to a bad start.

Where were colts fans before Manning? Every franchise goes through highs and lows, I want EJD to be the best home crowd all the time too but it doesn't always happen that way. Stop pontificating. You're just furthering a bad stereotype and we don't need it and don't deserve it.

We got nuts and loons too, we just don't get the media love the raiders and steelers do. I hope we get a new outdoor stadium so I can pelt you with a snowball if you ever show your face in St. Louis for this post. Go be a raiders fan.

Well i go to Rams games every year. I live in CA and my family has 6 PSL's.... that being said, i happen to agree with both you and the OP. Don't get all butthurt about it talkofthearch, but even on games when the Rams are in it, there is an imminent threat of a lack of fan thunder in that place. Obviously when the team was playing 'lights out' back in 99-01, of course fans were going nuts. But how about before? How about after? I was at the Raiders Rams game ('96, '97 or '98? can't remember) when Rams were 0-5 and Rich Gannon and the Raiders were undefeated. The Raider fans in the ED were way way way louder than the Rams fans... but we got the last laugh and trounced them. Didn't think much of it then, but st. louis fans are definitely not cut from the same mold as the fan base of some of these other teams. Perhaps they are a bit more sophisticated as C-mob says.... i'd agree with that. Doesn't make them lesser fans, just different.

I hate being the only schmuck in my entire section, stomping my feet and screaming Defense to be the 12th man, but unfortunately... that's usually all it is.... a single lone man trying to make enough noise for thousands. Sometimes i have company, sometimes i don't.

Here's the main difference i see: Rams fans cheer their team, no doubt about it. But they are much more prone to cheer AFTER a good play. To fire up your team, you often have to cheer before a play. that's my philosophy so i do it.... but its up to the fan as to how they cheer.

i have zero problem with Rams fans. I'd PREFER some of them cheer and support the team in a different manner, but that doesn't mean they don't support the team, or cheer at all, cuz they do! If the team rights itself (as I believe they're doing) the fans will follow. Me? Win or Lose, I'll still be the sometimes lone guy cheering before the play... and i'll remain that guy, whether the other fans in the EJD join me or not. when the team starts winning, i'm sure i'll have more company.

So, I do go to the games talkofthearch. I hit a ton of *****, Raider, Charger, and Cardinals games when the Rams play on the west coast too. But that doesn't make me any less or more of a Rams fan than the OP.

So why on earth would you tell him to go be a fan of a different team because you don't like his feelings? I may agree or disagree with a lot of the posts and fans that come thru the Clanram, but I've NEVER told one of them to go be a fan of a different team because they shared their opinions and/or tried to 'fire up the crowd.' So for the record, while i agree and can relate to both your and his comments, i think you're an incredible PUNK for suggesting he be a fan of a different team. And by punk, i mean a few adjectives that this friendly family oriented site would prefer I not say.

we're all Rams fans. so lets all respect eachother enough that we can allow each fan to cheer for their team and discuss aspects of the team without telling them to cheer for someone else cuz they're not good enough to be a Rams fan. You say you're willing to hear his ideas, but you're obviously not.

can't make it to Oakland this year, but i'll be at a few of the games this year and if you want to throw a snowball at me cuz of what i think about the Rams, aim for the Hawaiian guy in the autographed #69 Jersey who's still cheering even when the Rams are losing.

You can't take the 'holier than thou' approach living in hawaii. You can't ATTACK St. Louis and pontificate "if only I had/were/could". I'm going to call you on that EVERYTIME. If this were a case of morality, you would have no upper ground. You can't excuse your situation and slander an entire city in the same breath. That's what you did and it ticked me off. This thread is about St. Louis fans. I'd take the critique on the chin if it were coming from somebody in the city drumming up support talking in the bars buying season tickets going to events. But you...You gotta understand how that makes you look what you did there. Its disgusting.

And my opinion still stands, to me you're no different than an opposing fan. Maybe your a ram fan but where it counts I don't see you. Maybe you have a jersey or something, thanks. Its a slap in the face to guys that spend their hard earned money to come to a game and cheer and fall out of stands for somebody's shoe at the end of a 1 and 15 season. Its disrespectful to the organization that as we speak is planning a rally at kiener plaza this weekend. An organization trying to provide fans with a wonderful tailgate experience. If you framed it better, maybe offered ideas, some encouragement maybe things would have gone differently. I'm not for broadstrokes guy, you wanna offer an experience a few instances fine. No broadstrokes.

Sorry for saying you're no rams fan, and I apologize to the mods and anybody else if you felt I was out of line. There's a difference though, you may cheer on your tv in honolulu you can root for the rams but I gotta think there's a difference between that and the guy at the game. You may go even crazier than the guy at the game, but there's a difference. He's there and can contribute interact effect the mood at the dome, being a St. Louis Rams fan is a shared experience. Clanram is an alright site but it ain't home of the Rams. They play their homegames at the Dome. You're in hawaii...you're extraterrestrial yeah I believe you exist but until you get out the spaceship and walk into the dome...I'd look like a fool in the meantime bringing ya up.

But to end this on a good note, I apologize but there's nuances to this thing, and like I said you're more than welcome to come to St. Louis and be a Rams fan when and where it matters. Love to have ya here.

Too funny. First of all bud, I don't live in Hawaii, and if you wan't to address Hawaiipunch, address him. I'm not the one that started the thread.

But to say that people that don't live in St. Louis are extraterrestials? Wow.

I certainly did not attack St. Louis, and neither did the OP, nor anyone else in this thread.

Okay, well for everyone that doesn't live in St. Louis, pack your bags. I guess we're not real Rams fans anymore...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast