39thebeast is offline Registered User

Best Offensive line unit

LT- Roger Saffold. He is natural left tackle and has really shown up in camp. Why ruin a good possibly great thing forget the dollars let whoever is playing the best start Saffold is the guy as of NOW

LG- Jacob Bell. He has played almost of every position on the Line in his time here and In Tennessee, but LG is clearly his best position. Needs to stay healthy, but he had a good year giving up only 1 sack.

C- Hank Fraley. Natural center and has played at a high level at the center position. Jason Brown could start here if the coaches determine Goldberg best position is RG and he not fraley is our 5th best lineman

RG- Jason Brown. He started his career at guard and has 16 games under his belt at guard. Wherever he plays he will be our best interior lineman

RT- Jason Smith. He was pretty good run blocking last year, but he did strugle at times in pass protection. He will improve in pass protection. As he develops it wont hurt Bradford having two great tackle protecting him

6th man- Adam Goldberg. He can play all positions, but center. He versatility could be best suited off the bench assuring the Rams have a legit backup. He also has a shot to start at RG moving Brown to center.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: Best Offensive line unit

No. NO.

Do not move Jason Brown from Center.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Yeah, I'd rather keep Brown at center for the sake of continuity if nothing else. He has been making the line calls for this offense for a year now. The guards that have been with the team for a while should be getting to know his tendencies. If we put Fraley in at center, we'll just be shuffling the deck again next season.

Regarding Saffold and Smith, I agree with the sentiment that we should just put the best pass-blocker on the left, whomever it may be.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I also prefer Brown in the middle. This was a good idea though.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

At the scrimmage, Brown played guard some of the time and Fraley center. Wouldn't be surprised if this prediction became a reality during the regular season. Personally, that would be a pretty darn good offensive line.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

If guard is Browns best position why wouldn't we?

Keenum is offline Registered User

I'm guys glad our tackle situation looks solid. I've heard nothing but good about Saffold so far, and Smith is suppose to be a lot more comfortable on the left side.
    If the outside guys can play great, than I am confident the inside will hold up.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    If guard is Browns best position why wouldn't we?
    That's the $64,000 question, isn't it? Is Brown's best position center or guard? I'd probably lean towards center, but I'll defer to the coaching staff to make that determination. My gut is telling me he stays at center, and I think from a continuity standpoint, that would make more sense. To be perfectly honest, while I understand and appreciate a desire to have versatility on the offensive line, I kind of wish we'd just plug guys in where we think they're best and keep them there rather than shifting things around. IMO, continuity is one of the most important factors on an offensive line, and you aren't helping it when you get cute and start shifting guys over here or over there.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Three
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RockinRam is offline Registered User

The thing is, is FRALEY better at guard or center?

I personally believe that Brown is solid at center and at guard. But, I think he would be a bit better at guard because he can just concentrate on his mauling blocking style, and not worry about line calls.

Fraley on the other hand, is a bit undersized to be a good aggressive guard. He would be a decent center, but wouldn't fit in our power running game at guard.

However, I would much rather see Brown at center and Greco at guard.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I think it's easier to find a good guard than a good center. Brown has proven himself at center, and has the size, smarts, and physicality to continue to excel there. I say "if it ain't broke - don't fix it."

Greco is in a make or break year, and may not have quick enough feet to hold down the RG spot. If not, we'll have to try and find a vet or promising youngster via trade or final roster cuts. I hope Joe can prove he was worthy of being drafted 2nd overall in rd 3 back in 2008 ..

general counsel is offline Registered User

I strongly doubt that jason smith, if he stays healthy, is going to play anything other than left tackle. He was the number 2 overall pick in the draft. He was not drafted that high and paid the kind of money he got to be a right tackle. If he ultimately winds up on the right side, its because he was given every chance to succeed on the left side and failed. Lets hope that doesnt happen as the grade on smith to this point is clearly inconclusive.

As for saffold, he was drafted as a right tackle and thats where he is going to play. There is absolutely no data at this point to evaluate his game performance at the nfl level at either tackle position, let alone left tackle.

To me, until proven otherwise, we have big uncertainty at both tackle positions and until i see smith and saffold performing consistently at the nfl level, not in a practice and not in preseason, i am going to be really worried about bradford (or any other ram qb for that matter). Potential is great. Getting it done on the field in an nfl game is another story.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

ManofGod is offline Registered User

I think it should be noted that in the scrimmage these were the starting tackles. Like it or not the way things look now Smith will be playing RT.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I strongly doubt that jason smith, if he stays healthy, is going to play anything other than left tackle. He was the number 2 overall pick in the draft. He was not drafted that high and paid the kind of money he got to be a right tackle. If he ultimately winds up on the right side, its because he was given every chance to succeed on the left side and failed. Lets hope that doesn't happen as the grade on smith to this point is clearly inconclusive.
    Agreed he was drafted to evolve into our LT of the future. However, if Saffold proves to be the better fit at LT, I don't think Spags will be afraid to leave him at LT.

As for saffold, he was drafted as a right tackle and thats where he is going to play. There is absolutely no data at this point to evaluate his game performance at the nfl level at either tackle position, let alone left tackle.
    From a money standpoint yes, however, there isn't much data on Smith playing LT at the NFL level either. I recently asked Jim Thomas if he thought there was a possibility Saffold might remain at LT, and he indicated from what he'd seen so far, yes.

To me, until proven otherwise, we have big uncertainty at both tackle positions and until i see smith and saffold performing consistently at the nfl level, not in a practice and not in preseason, i am going to be really worried about bradford (or any other ram qb for that matter). Potential is great. Getting it done on the field in an nfl game is another story.
    Absolutely agree! This has to be our biggest weakness - bigger than no legit backup to SJ - (IMO), as not only are our two tackles unproven, we've got no depth there either - zip, nada !! Trading Barron may have been a popular move on the face of it, but this could well come back to bite us severely in the rear regardless of how well Bobby Carpenter does or doesn't play ..

rNemesis is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Agreed he was drafted to evolve into our LT of the future. However, if Saffold proves to be the better fit at LT, I don't think Spags will be afraid to leave him at LT.

From a money standpoint yes, however, there isn't much data on Smith playing LT at the NFL level either. I recently asked Jim Thomas if he thought there was a possibility Saffold might remain at LT, and he indicated from what he'd seen so far, yes.

Absolutely agree! This has to be our biggest weakness - bigger than no legit backup to SJ - (IMO), as not only are our two tackles unproven, we've got no depth there either - zip, nada !! Trading Barron may have been a popular move on the face of it, but this could well come back to bite us severely in the rear regardless of how well Bobby Carpenter does or doesn't play ..
    Well ACTUALLy Im glad to get rid of Barron because my fellow coworker who is a Cowboy fan said that that was one of the worst moves they ever made