• NOT keeping Chris Claiborne

1 2.44%
  • NOT gambling on Antonio Cromartie in the draft

1 2.44%
  • NOT re-signing Damione Lewis

5 12.20%
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Best Offseason Move The Rams DIDN'T Make

What move that the Rams likely considered, but didn't make, do you think was the best?

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: Best Offseason Move The Rams DIDN'T Make

Resigning Adam Archuleta. The guy couldn't tackle and was horrendous in coverage. Hence why its the biggest and best offseason move we DIDN'T make.

Plus we got Chavous to replace him, but in my opinion Chavous is a big upgrade over Archuleta.
    RamsFan16

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I think the best was not to trade our draft picks for a guy like Davis or Huff. They're great players, but I think our draft has been one of the best in a very long time. So, cheers to what we did. I'm glad we didn't do anything stupid. We got some real solid players now, and probably a few starters from rookies, instead of just one guaranteed rookie to start.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

I'm going to have to agree with Varg on this one. I think we had an excellent draft. We would have lost quite a few picks in order to move up to where we could draft one of them. I like our first round pick, and I don't think that there was someone on that board that was worth losing 3 draft picks for. OK......mabye I would have liked it if we did that to get A.J. Hawk.

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Im gonna say NOT pursuing Lavar Arrington. I think he would of been the BIGGEST Help to the Defence! We probably wouldnt have Raonall Smith but LaVar is one of the BEST Linebackers out there... I know he would of cost a lot but He would of been a GREAT Ram.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    Resigning Adam Archuleta. The guy couldn't tackle and was horrendous in coverage. Hence why its the biggest and best offseason move we DIDN'T make.

Plus we got Chavous to replace him, but in my opinion Chavous is a big upgrade over Archuleta.
    To be honest I dont really understand why people seem to be so down on Archuleta. I dont believe he deserved to be the highest paid safety in the league, but I do believe that he is one of the better safeties in the league. Just look at his stats from last year. He put up good numbers despite being hurt and despite the horrible scheme that he played in. I would have loved to seen him resigned and allowed to play in Haslett's system.

The Best move the Rams made was not resigning Damione Lewis. He had horrible work ethic and never played to his potential. Any DT that could take up space was an upgrade over Lewis.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Not trading up!

Getting either Davis or Huff would have meant, no Hill, no Klop, AND no Wroten. I just can't see where VD or Huff are worth those three prospects at this point.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

wttrash2 is offline Registered User

I'm glad that we didn't go after Cutler. There was no reason right now to draft a QB for three, four years down the line. If Bulger continues to get hurt every year, I might rethink my comments. Won't change, but might rethink.

AugustaRamFan is offline Registered User

Hmmm...to evaluate, we need to look at what the lack of action really lead to...

By NOT re-signing Adam Archuleta the Rams dumped some salary that helped them sign some some FAs and said goodbye to a former first rounder. They also dumped a suspect tacker and coverage player. Success from this non-deal is held with the players signed in his place.

By NOT getting in a bidding war for Ryan Pickett the Rams lost arguably their best down lineman. (Could be the worst move)

By NOT trading up in the draft to get Vernon Davis or Michael Huff the Rams were able to get good value in the draft and spread their risk out over a few players in the later rounds. They also were able to get Tye Hill, who is full of potential, but that is all we know today.

By NOT signing Grady Jackson they avoided signing a player clearly long in the tooth and past his prime - this also resulted in the Fisk signing. So that could end up being a good move. Wasn't GJ a little large for his height?? lol

By NOT pursuing Lavar Arrington they avoided busting the piggy bank on one defensive player and allowed them to get Spoon and have some dollars left over for some FAs that may add depth and special teams help. If the special teams improve and Spoon is the real deal, this could be a great non-move.

By NOT drafting Jay Cutler they avoided a huge QB controvesy and signed Tye Hill. I am one that thinks that Cutler went way too high and going a 11 or above was a real reach. The real need was in the secondary and not at QB. This could prove to be a great non-deal. But the jury is out until Cutler is a bust or Tye Hill is bust or a starter.

By NOT keeping Chris Claiborne the Rams did what they should have done a year ago - pass on an underacheiver. They also freed up some cap $$ for FAs.

By NOT gambling on Antonio Cromartie in the draft (see Cutler reasoning) - delete the QB controversy. Did this guy have charater issues?? Plus the Rams seemed to draft a good value and need pick (Hill).

By NOT re-signing Damione Lewis they let a former first rounder go and probably the biggest draft bust of the 2001 draft (Arch, Big Grease and D-Lew). They freed some cap space and a I suppose one could argue that by letting Big Grease and D-Lew go the Rams picked up Glover. (that is my story...)

Given all of the above.....NOT GOING AFTER ARRINGTON....
    Last edited by AugustaRamFan; -07-27-2006 at 03:27 PM.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

This was kind of a tough one. I went with the Cutler choice because I have faith in Bulger and whenever you draft a QB early in the first round there's pressure to play him soon regardless of how well the incumbent is doing because of how much you're paying the new guy (see Rivers, Philip). We don't need a controversy. Plus, gaining him would tie up that much more money at the QB position rather than going to bring in Tye Hill and Claude Wroten.

I'm also really glad we weren't the team to make Archuleta the highest-paid safety in NFL history. But maybe we could have resigned him before he realized the 'Skins would offer that much. Had we been able to sign him at a reasonable price, it still wouldn't have been a great move. I'm also really glad we got rid of the dead weight by dumping D-Lew and Claiborne.

Most of the rest I would have been okay with...well, depending on how much of a bidding war we're talking about on Pickett.

JackieSlater is offline Registered User

Letting Arch go...
    Last edited by JackieSlater; -07-27-2006 at 06:08 PM.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I had to go with not drafting Cutler, although i never took the rumours seriously. The Rams did much better by picking up that extra third and still getting our guy. With Claude Wroten running with the starting defense in Training Camp it makes it look even better.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I have to go with not signing Adam Archuleta, considering the HUGE amount of money the Redskins offered and Archuleta's play recently. Making Archuleta the highest paid safety in NFL history is a move so dumb I didn't think *even* the Redskins would consider it. Arch's lack of coverage skills have costs us numerous big plays in the past IMHO, and even his run-stopping and tackling skills seemed to decline (probably because of his injuries) the last couple of years.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I think not taking Cutler was genius. We needed a lot of help on D and that where they went. I just hope Hill pays off.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey