RamWraith is offline Registered User

Best thing Rams can do now is continue to lose

By Bryan Burwell
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    15/12/2008

The day started out in such an unusual fashion, so hopeful, so exciting, so entertaining. In the blink of an eye, these strangers in Rams uniforms were rolling effortlessly down the football field. For the first time in nine weeks, your "NFL Laughingstock St. Louis Rams" (TM all rights reserved) were showing rare signs of a fully functional offense.

It began with a touchdown on the first possession, with the football dropping perfectly into Torry Holt's outstretched hands and the intimate gathering of spectators at the Edward Jones Dome not quite sure how to react to the sight of something they hadn't seen in more than nine games and 33 quarters.

But as the day went on, stuff happened.

Rams stuff.

Fumbles. Missed opportunities. Blown coverages.

In the end, it wasn't an embarrassing smackdown like so many of the other defeats in this nightmarish 2-12 season. This one was a tormenting last-play 23-20 heartbreaker to the Seattle Seahawks that wrecked the momentary euphoria and in the end settled everything in the Rams' world back into its normal excruciating state.

"If you don't win, then you feel the same if you lost by 30 or you lose by a last-second field goal," said quarterback Marc Bulger inside the loser's locker room. "They're all bad and it's become a routine."

Losing is this franchise's bad habit, and if not for the historically wretched Detroit Lions (0-14 after a 31-21 collapse to Indy), the Rams would at least be on the verge of getting the ultimate satisfaction for such a wicked addiction:

The first overall pick in the '09 NFL draft.

But on days like this, you just have to be thankful for what you have. And what the Rams appear to have for the second year in a row is the second-best piece of prime real estate in the draft. With Cincinnati (2-11-1) pulling an upset of Washington and the Rams falling to Seattle (3-11), with only two weeks remaining in this gawdawful season, the Rams are in a tie with Kansas City for the second-worst record behind the winless Lions.

And according to the NFL tiebreakers, the Rams are at least for the moment considered worse than the Chiefs by virtue of a weaker strength of schedule. That means the Rams are now officially in control of the second pick in the draft.

So maybe this isn't the kind of good news you were looking for. But when you have been stumbling around in the barren NFL wasteland for as long as the Rams have, figuratively speaking, dirty bath water can be as refreshing as a cold Bud.

So reach right down and take a quenching sip.

We're No. 2. Wowee.

With two weeks remaining in this season going nowhere, I want the Rams to keep on losing, because losing is the best possible option for the future. When things were at 2-6 and there was still a faint chance that this team could settle into a five- or six-win season, winning games made a lot of sense.

But once the Rams got to 2-10, winning one or two more games is about as purposeful as putting a Band-Aid on a mortal wound. When you have as many obvious flaws and liabilities as this sorry team has, it's so much better for the future to descend all the way into the abyss.

So now you can start familiarizing yourself with names like Michael Oher (Ole' Miss), Andre Smith (Alabama) and Eugene Monroe (Virginia), three block-out-the-sun offensive tackles who could start right now for the Rams. Or maybe you want to rerun all those highlight tapes of Texas Tech wideout Michael Crabtree, who could be the most exciting athlete in college football. It's time for another offseason full of Senior Bowls and East-West games, draft combines and endless daydreams of Mel Kiper's draft projections.

Better to delve into the future than to consider more nightmares of the dreaded present, like wondering what was going on behind closed doors inside a near-empty locker room in the Edward Jones Dome. With the sound of hissing showers acting as faint background music, head coach Jim Haslett and de facto general manager Billy Devaney met with team President John Shaw long after every player and coach had left the room.

Who knows what was being said in that meeting? It still amazes me that Shaw, who was supposed to have been defrocked as a meaningful power broker months ago after years of incompetent leadership, is still rattling around the Dome like he is a man with legitimate organizational clout.

It actually scares me to think that Shaw is still strutting around here believing he has unfinished business to attend to like deciding who will be the Rams' next head coach when he has proven time and again that his eye for coaching talent is made of distorted glass.

Please don't trust this guy with the job again because he's too busy worrying about popularity contests for the coaching search. I don't know what's next in the Rams' game of musical coaching chairs, but here's one more reason Haslett deserves a legitimate chance regardless of what his record is as an interim coach.

In 1994, the interim coach of the Houston Oilers finished the last six games of that season with a 1-5 record. At the end of the season, the Oilers hired him anyway, and he didn't have a winning record in his first four seasons on the job.

So how'd that one work out?

Jeff Fisher and the Tennessee Titans will tell you things are working out just fine.

Falconator Guest

Re: Best thing Rams can do now is continue to lose

sad but true.......well hopefully you guys get the #2 overall pick....If so, its gotta be Andre Smith or Michael Oher......I like Andre Smith slightly better.

I still would consider Sam Bradford if he declares and is available.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

"If you don't win, then you feel the same if you lost by 30 or you lose by a last-second field goal," said quarterback Marc Bulger inside the loser's locker room. "They're all bad and it's become a routine."
    I disagree. When it's a blowout and the other team is having fun, I can't wait for the game to be over. I am much happier when it is close and we had a chance to win. Both are bad, but I would take a close loss over a blowout any day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

eldfan is offline Registered User

I don't think we have to worry about this team continuing losing, it want be on purpose, we are just that bad, no division wins in the worse division in football.
    :ramlogo:

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Interesting point there about Jeff Fisher. You could also point to Belichick, who had a worse head coaching record his first go 'round (36-44, 45.0%) with the Browns than Haslett did with the Saints (45-51, 46.8%). Belichick went 5-11 in his first season with the Pats, which is a little better than Haslett's 2-8 since he took over...but not by much.

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

yeah, because Jeff Fisher has won how many super bowls? Last time I checked he was 0-1

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD413 View Post
    yeah, because Jeff Fisher has won how many super bowls? Last time I checked he was 0-1
    Last time I checked he was coaching a 12-2 team that has posted winning records in 6 of the last 10 seasons despite going through a major cap purge in that time. And just how many active coaches are there who do have a Super Bowl win? Here's the list I can think of...

Coughlin (criticized by various Giants players for having failed to prepare them sufficiently in games before the team eventually won a Championship under him)
    Dungy
    Belichick
    Gruden (Better than Fisher just because the Bucs won SB XXXVII?)
    Shanahan
    Holmgren (Only going to be on this active coach list until the end of the season)

Then you've got 3 others who might come back in the near future...

Cowher
    Billick
    Vermeil

All in all, that's a pretty short list. If it takes a Super Bowl victory to be considered a good head coach, there won't be enough well coached teams to fill the playoffs. Personally, I'd put Fisher in a group with Andy Reid and John Fox as coaches whose teams are pretty consistently good, who have taken a team to the big dance, but have not yet won one. I think you want to find one of those guys who can at least get you into the hunt each year.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I think it is best for us to lose also. We don't have anything to root for. We're going to be one of the bottom end teams. We should lose the next two and lock in the second pick of the draft...again.

We can possibly land three starters in the draft this year. (OT, MLB, SS) and the only way to do that is lock in this pick in the draft.

I won't be rooting against the Rams, I never do. But it is in our future's interest to lose these next two...

Go Rams

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    I think it is best for us to lose also. We don't have anything to root for. We're going to be one of the bottom end teams. We should lose the next two and lock in the second pick of the draft...again.

We can possibly land three starters in the draft this year. (OT, MLB, SS) and the only way to do that is lock in this pick in the draft.

I won't be rooting against the Rams, I never do. But it is in our future's interest to lose these next two...

Go Rams
    We don't have anything to root for? Wow, that's a surprising statement ...

I'm rooting for wins, screw draft position. I am a Ram's fan, through and through, and I always want the team to win ...

The loss to the Seahawks hurt, regardless of our record. Fact is, I want to destroy the 49'ers next week ...

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    We don't have anything to root for? Wow, that's a surprising statement ...

I'm rooting for wins, screw draft position. I am a Ram's fan, through and through, and I always want the team to win ...

The loss to the Seahawks hurt, regardless of our record. Fact is, I want to destroy the 49'ers next week ...
    I wasn't trying to be that exact here.

We cant have a winning season. Even if we win the next two, we're 4-12. Which is still sad, even pathetic if you ask me.

Of course we want to win. But we can also use the second pick in the draft again.

I hate losing. I do more than anything.

But I'm already looking forward to the offseason. I just want this CURRENT nightmare to be over.