MACD is offline Registered User

The Best Thing for Sam

I heard Skip Bayless (usually more than a little over the top) comment on 'First Take' today that the loss of Randy Moss at New England had made them a better team because Brady is now forced to spread the wealth around more to other receivers. The blowout of the Jets last night was certainly an eye-opener.

Now I still think that a capable long-threat can only help the Rams out, but it could be that the lack of one may have been the best thing for Sam in his first year. I can see how it forces a QB to work harder on reads and checking down. Perhaps it has been a blessing in disguise to prevent bad habits from forming in the passing department. Thoughts?

P.S. And maybe the rise of DX is coming at the perfect time in Sam's development.

rob6465 is offline Registered User

Re: The Best Thing for Sam

Agree !!! Bradford spreading it around.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

It seems the majority of fans want to either hang Shurmur or blame the lack of wide receiving talents, particularly a deep threat, for the lack of downfield production in the passing game ...

Not the case in my opinion. The primary causes:

1. Lack of sufficient protection from the offensive line to allow Sam to feel comfortable taking 7 step drops

2. Sam is still catching up to the speed of the pro game and is not ready for the responsibilities that go along with deep progressions

3. It really doesn't fit into the philosophy at this point. This is not a team that can afford many mistakes. We win games when we limit penalties and turnovers, period.

It is what it is. Sam is beginning to slowly learn how to work the intermediate game to his advantage. The evolution of Laurent Robinson is helping this. As he masters this level of the game, I would expect more deep shots.

By 2012, I think this will be a top 5 passing game ...

The receivers are improving, and so is Sam. It showns each week.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Robinson has been doing better Since he is healthy finally but i think his lack of abilitu to stay healthy will do.him in next offseason

Trevor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    It seems the majority of fans want to either hang Shurmur or blame the lack of wide receiving talents, particularly a deep threat, for the lack of downfield production in the passing game ...

Not the case in my opinion. The primary causes:

1. Lack of sufficient protection from the offensive line to allow Sam to feel comfortable taking 7 step drops

2. Sam is still catching up to the speed of the pro game and is not ready for the responsibilities that go along with deep progressions

3. It really doesn't fit into the philosophy at this point. This is not a team that can afford many mistakes. We win games when we limit penalties and turnovers, period.

It is what it is. Sam is beginning to slowly learn how to work the intermediate game to his advantage. The evolution of Laurent Robinson is helping this. As he masters this level of the game, I would expect more deep shots.

By 2012, I think this will be a top 5 passing game ...

The receivers are improving, and so is Sam. It showns each week.
    Not so sure that Bradford is still trying to catch up with the speed of the gam, he looks comfortable as hell. Offensive line is what is killing him forcing him to roll out so many times.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Not so sure that Bradford is still trying to catch up with the speed of the gam, he looks comfortable as hell. Offensive line is what is killing him forcing him to roll out so many times.
    Also receivers that struggle to get out of coverage.

And here I thought the best thing for Sam was to ride the pine all season behind Feeley

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    There is a big difference between looking comfortable in the pocket, and being comfortable with the speed of the game ...

Bradford bails too quickly, too often at this point. He misses alot of checkdowns. He also has alot of 1-2 progression playcalls, it's easy to see ...

They don't work in deep step drops very often ...

He is a rookie, no matter how well he is playing. He's being taught the right way ...