Like Tree16Likes
  • 9 Post By r8rh8rmike
  • 4 Post By AvengerRam
  • 2 Post By lordwhttgr
  • 1 Post By OldSchoolRamFan

Thread: A "Better Late Than Never" Bash Retrospective

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

A "Better Late Than Never" Bash Retrospective

Once again, it was a great weekend from start to finish. The win being the icing on the cake. We had members come out from Massachusetts, Florida, Southern California, Northern California, Washington State, Pennsylvania, and a few from the St. Louis area.

I started by getting up at 3am on Friday, drove down to Palm Springs to catch my flight to Phoenix, where my brother joined me for the connecting flight to St. Louis. Everything was going way too smooth, so of course, something had to give. As we taxied out for takeoff, the captain announced that one of the engines had to be shut down because of a warning light, and that it had to be looked at by maintenance back at the gate. Suddenly, thoughts of a screwed up weekend overwhelmed me. So....back to the gate. After watching a bunch of guys run around the plane waving their arms and some banging noises, the captain announced a loose fitting was tightened, and we were good to go. Then it was off to St. Louis as I held my breath, hoping the engine wouldn't fall off as we took off.

We got into St. Louis only an hour late and headed up to the Metrolink platform, where I noticed someone on the train looking at me through the tinted glass, and motioning to the person next to them. I'm thinking, what's going on here? The door opens, and it's Steve (Majorram) and his wife Liz, who had just flown in from London. I stepped in to say a quick hello, and the door closes, the train takes off, and I see my brother still on the platform glaring at me with a "what the hell are you doing" look. No problem. I call my brother and tell him to meet me at the hotel, and then have a nice chat with the Brits until we get downtown.

Once downtown, I get a call from Curly Horns (Ed) and his wife Laurie. We meet down by the barricaded Arch, and decide to get an early dinner. I give laram0 (Mike) a call, but he's off giving his girlfriend a tour of the city, so we go eat. At dinner, Curly Horns chastises me for not contacting macrammer (Mike) and MoonJoe (Joe - go figure), to which I fired back that they had to see the "2013 Bash!" thread that had been started, and that they would respond. Turns out Curly Horns was right, and we never got the Friday crew together. Sorry guys.

Saturday morning, I get ready to go to breakfast, and no wallet. Panic! Lose your wallet in downtown St. Louis, forget it. I call the front desk and they don't have it, but ask them to try the Irish restaurant in the hotel where we ate. Hallelujah, they have it! Dodged a bullet there. My wallet stayed in my front pocket the rest of the trip.

After breakfast, I talk to Curly Horns, who is going to the Farmers Market with Laurie (what fun), and laram0, who is going to the Brewery with his girlfriend and buddy Chris. Been there, done that, so we decide to take the train to Union Station to maybe find some Rams crap, but the place is dead, and virtually no Rams gear, I mean none. We get back on the train and decide to try the Galleria across town. While we were there, Curly Horns calls and says he's met up with macrammer and MoonJoe who want to find some Rams gear, so they drive out. We met up in the Fanzz store, and had some good conversation. We then went to another store, where we see Rams stuff covered up by stacks of Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick shirts!! REALLY! I say "Hey, what's this all about" to one of the salesmen, and he says they never sell any Rams gear or get any Rams fans, and Wilson and Kaepernick crap is what sells. Oye!!

Saturday Night and the Bash dinner. We filled the room with about 18 people, which was a lot better than expected. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, the conversation was dominated by Bradford, sometimes heated, but always with an underlying sense of humor. The best example of that was lordwhttgr (George) and laram0 practically in each others faces as they argued about Bradford. It was actually pretty hilarious. Then there was AvengerRam (David) and me, trying to discuss the Rams as RamGram's son Carl (Steelers fan who for some reason, wasn't wearing his Steelers gear) does everything he could to disrupt the conversation. Ugh. He's a character.

The dinner was really a fun time, but my only regret was that I didn't get to talk at length with the guys I'd never met before. macrammer, MoonJoe, PARamfan (Mike #4) and lordwhittr. All great guys. which didn't surprise me, because I have yet to meet a member at the Bash that I didn't immediately form a rapport with. It's truly an amazing phenomenon.

Sunday! THE event. There wasn't too much happening in the parking lot, and no line going into the Dome. As our group started to fill in, I look up a row and see RamFan_Til_I_Die (Josh) and his buddy, who made the last minute trip from California in a day (A DAY), and managed to get tickets right behind us. It was great to see him and get a chance to talk. The last time we were at a game together was with Randy (BigRedMan) in Oakland, after spending the previous night at an Alameda bar, where I had one of the best times of my life. He was wearing Randy's #57 jersey, which I thought was pretty special.

Once the game started, ClanRam definitely represented well with an active, loud, hand slapping group. We had our share of complaining to go along with the cheers, but all's well that ends well. Getting the second Bash game win in a row was sweet.

After the game, most had to catch a flight out of town, but the Curly Horns duo, the laram0 group, and my brother and I all went out for a victory dinner. It was a last chance to hang out with two great guys that have become close friends.

I want to end by thanking AvengerRam, who did the dirty work setting it all up, and made it another success. I wish everyone could meet him, because he really is a good guy, and a good friend.

Too much info? Too long?
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -10-10-2013 at 10:50 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: A "Better Late Than Never" Bash Retrospective

Nice, recap!

Also want to mention Ram Man (yeah... the guy with the crazy face paint and ram hat) who joined us on Saturday Night and, as usual, hosted a tailgate on Sunday.

Always fun to come into town and see the gang... particularly when the Rams win!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Also want to mention Ram Man (yeah... the guy with the crazy face paint and ram hat) who joined us on Saturday Night and, as usual, hosted a tailgate on Sunday.
    I actually felt kind of bad for Ram Man and his wife, who came a little late and had to sit off to the side, kind of apart from the action. I did notice them laughing at some of our "antics", so hopefully they still had a good time.

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

Yes, I felt bad they were kind of left out. Hopefully Jakes will be open again soon. I'll stop by there from time to time and see.

GO RAMS!!!
    Curly Horns and r8rh8rmike like this.

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

Well told and sounds like an overall good time. I was really hoping to be there this year in what would have been the 5th anniversary of my first and only bash but being right in the middle of a lengthy trial (which had been scheduled for months) kept that from happening. I hope everyone else's trip turned out as successful as yours and here's to me trying again next year.
    r8rh8rmike likes this.
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.