RamWraith is offline Registered User

Better late than never for newest Rams hopeful

By Bill Coats 12/12/2007 5:13 pm

The regular season is down to its final three weeks, but wide receiver Eric Fowler still is delighted to have a locker with his name on it at Rams Park. Fowler, signed Tuesday to the practice squad, is among the myriad former college players trying to scratch their way onto an NFL roster.

Fowler, 6-2 and 208, is a pretty typical case. He was a Division II All-American at Grand Valley State in Michigan and drew attention from several pro scouts. He wasn’t drafted, but the Steelers gave him a free-agent contract and brought him to training camp.

He survived until Aug. 27, when he was released. Since then, he’d been looking around. “I took some other workouts, but I didn’t stick anywhere,” he said. “I’ve been working out and praying for this opportunity.”

In the meantime, Fowler went to work for a friend who has an Internet business. “It was something to put food on the table while you’re working out and waiting,” he said.

He’ll be able to stock up on some extra groceries this week: practice-squad players receive $4,700 a week, considerably more than his pal was paying him.

“I’m here, I’m enjoying it, it’s a great group of guys,” Fowler said Wednesday after his first practice with the team. “We’ve got some good chemistry, and I’m trying to do whatever I can to help these guys win on Sundays.”

Coach Scott Linehan said that when the Rams met the Falcons on Dec. 2, he had no inkling that longtime friend Bobby Petrino was about to bolt before his first season in the NFL was finished. Petrino resigned abruptly Tuesday as Atlanta’s coach so that he could take over the program at the University of Arkansas.

“We talked a little bit when we played (the Falcons). We didn’t talk much at all about anything other than general” things, Linehan said. “He’s a great coach and I think his feeling was college was where he wanted to be. People have to make their own decisions when it comes to that. This business is kind of strange that way.

“I’m not sure there’s good timing or bad timing for anything, but he’s the only person who could answer why he made that move. I’m sure he feels good about it.”

Rams fans could witness history Sunday at the Dome. Packers quarterback Brett Favre needs 184 passing yards to reach 61,362 for his career and take the NFL record from Dan Marino. Running back Steven Jackson emphasized, however, that the Rams
    “can’t get caught up in that. . . . If you’re in awe of who you’re playing, then that’s a loss already. We have to go out and take care of business.”

>>QB Marc Bulger (concussion) said he “felt good” after practice Wednesday, when he took all the reps with the first team. A decision on his availability will be made Friday afternoon.

>>Backup QB Gus Frerotte (shoulder) should be ready to go Sunday.

>>T Rob Petitti (concussion) passed his neuropsych test and was back on the practice field, albeit on a limited basis.

>>Brandon Williams (ankle) sat out, which means Marques Hagans might return punts and kicks again this week.

All for now. . .

onslaught11 Guest

Re: Better late than never for newest Rams hopeful

It is time to move Derek Stanley up to the roster. It is time to look how he does in an actual game and cut Brandon Williams.
    How are we going to judge these myriad of WR we put on the practice squad if they are not playing in a real game.

Time to check some of these players out and see if we want to retain their services next year.