Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Beware of "Camp Reports"

Sometimes, when my wife and I are at a restaurant, my wife, unable to decide between two dishes, will ask the waiter or waitress which one they recommend. I always laugh at that, as the waiter or waitress may very well have bad, or at least different, taste.

"Camp reports" suffer from the same deficiency. The subjective opinions of web bloggers who likely have never played organized football, and certainly are not qualified as coaches or scouts, are questionable, at best.

So, if some guy from another website says that Travis Fisher had a bad day, or that Richie Incognito looks great, or that it appears that a player has been supplanted in the starting lineup... I beg you... take it with a really big grain of salt.

For all you know, the person writing these opinions might be the same person who would recommend Spam a la mode over filet mignon.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Re: Beware of "Camp Reports"

For all you know, the person writing these opinions might be the same person who would recommend Spam a la mode over filet mignon.
    Ask a waiter or waitress what to order in Hawaii and they might suggest the Spam.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

general counsel is online now Registered User

I agree 100% with av, but i will take it a step further. Even when the reports come from the most reliable of sources, ie balzer, take them with a grain of salt in that what happens in camp on any given day is often blown WAY out of porporation in terms of its relevance to the season. Lets do our best not to go nuts based on practice and preseason, we all should have learned too many lessons from that in the past.

Rule #1 of camp if you want to win a title STAY HEALTHY!!!!!!!!! How would you like to be a browns fan today after the loss of charles for the year on the first play of the first practice.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

The most telling of progress will come from the way the players perform in the pre-season games. There's nothing like a game situation to see how they will react.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Sometimes, when my wife and I are at a restaurant, my wife, unable to decide between two dishes, will ask the waiter or waitress which one they recommend. I always laugh at that, as the waiter or waitress may very well have bad, or at least different, taste.

"Camp reports" suffer from the same deficiency. The subjective opinions of web bloggers who likely have never played organized football, and certainly are not qualified as coaches or scouts, are questionable, at best.

So, if some guy from another website says that Travis Fisher had a bad day, or that Richie Incognito looks great, or that it appears that a player has been supplanted in the starting lineup... I beg you... take it with a really big grain of salt.

Saw that as well, and took it like you did. Actually it's not surprising considering his lack of playing time the last two years.

(The camp photos were kinda cool though)

Ethics question. Is it uncool to copy those and paste them here, (giving the author credit, of course)?
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Lets do our best not to go nuts based on practice and preseason, we all should have learned too many lessons from that in the past.
    I learned my lesson in a big way last year when I bought into all the hype and reports of great play by the defense. NEVER again. I'll be a believer when I actually see any glowing reports translate to the regular season, when it counts.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Yes, the informaton bad and good will start flowing again. Like everything else in life, grab you filters and start to analyze....

Now, where can I getr me some of that Spam ala mode? MMMmmmmm

HoustonRam is offline Registered User

i think any report is a good report considering the PD coverage. by the way I love spam.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

The PD is terrible! And the "official" site is right behind them. We have to have some of the poorest media people in the business.

Also, the Spam factory is only a few miles south of me if you would like to visit some time. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRam
    i think any report is a good report considering the PD coverage. by the way I love spam.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

This place is probably the best place for Rams news. Just because it takes the news from several different sources so we can pick out what is actually truth

mofo is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    .snip.

.snip.
    Respectfully, it sounds like you are taking them with a big bite of lemon - sour.
    Ok, so basically what you are saying is to treat "other site" reports like you do anything else. Objectively. Fair enough.
    Not sure why you make it sound like it is something to "beware". Camp reports aren't something I usually put my guard up for. It's just innocent info and a perspective. No reason to get all cautious about them.

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam
    Ethics question. Is it uncool to copy those and paste them here, (giving the author credit, of course)?
    If you would like to copy them and upload them to your own host to share with other boards then feel free to do so but please provide a visible link to the website where you got the image from (also, please do not link directly to images hosted at RRF). It's the right thing to do and I am sure it is what the owners of this site would expect with their property as well.
    Last edited by mofo; -07-29-2006 at 11:31 AM.
    - mofo

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68
    Ask a waiter or waitress what to order in Hawaii and they might suggest the Spam.
    NOT! NOT!! NOT!!!

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Not sure why you make it sound like it is something to "beware". Camp reports aren't something I usually put my guard up for. It's just innocent info and a perspective. No reason to get all cautious about them.
    The "guard" and "beware" part depend more on the reader than the writer in most cases. Some readers take everything with a grain of salt, process the info for themselves, and reach their own conclusions. Others will take anything said as gospel. It's these "others" that need the "guard / beware" tid bits.
    If you would like to copy them and upload them to your own host to share with other boards then feel free to do so but please provide a visible link to the website where you got the image from (also, please do not link directly to images hosted at RRF). It's the right thing to do and I am sure it is what the owners of this site would expect with their property as well.
    I agree on principle. However, it's a fine line to walk sometimes. We have no shortage of individuals trying to get free advertisement on this site. The staff spends a good deal of time just filtering our such cheap (actually free) tricks. I understand that is not what you're referring to in this case, but it's always in the back of our minds around here.

Having said all that, the final word on anything of that nature would have to come from Dez.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68
    The most telling of progress will come from the way the players perform in the pre-season games. There's nothing like a game situation to see how they will react.
    I disagree. Every year you see guys play lights out in the preseason, and during the regular season, stink it up. There are teams that win every pre-season game, and win may 4 or 5 regular season games. There are teams that lose all of their preseason, and are in the playoffs. No, there's only one way to gage a team, and that's who goes on to play the super bowl. Look at Indy the past couple of years. Promise doesn't equal results.

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    Also, the Spam factory is only a few miles south of me if you would like to visit some time.
    ....and so are most of the pets missing in your neighborhood!
    Last edited by bigredman; -07-29-2006 at 04:50 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

majorram is offline Registered User

I just like the read after the LONG off season, I usually take camp reports lightly but man I hate pre-season, just hate it...injuries!!! dread it!!!! like GC said stay healthy thats the key...

steve:ramlogo:
    "The breakfast Club"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast