Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big 12 QB's

denverram is offline Registered User

Big 12 QB's

We have 3 of the best College QB's in the nation in the Big 12, Colt McCoy, Sam Bradford and Chase Daniells. Will any of these QB's make a good pro? I think the Rams are in a fine position to take one of these guys, sit him behind Bulger for a year or two and then let him play. Bulger is coming to the end and all though I like him, I think we can get better at that position and I would rather get someone and develope him then draft whoever is available at the time.

I know we have OL issues but I think we need to look at 2 of these because thay are fantastic! Daniells and McCoy are both mobile enough to move(Bradford not so much) and escape which is key in today's NFL. We then look at O Line in the 2nd and 3rd round.

I know McCoy is just a junior but I think he will probably come out.

What says the clan?

DenverRam

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Big 12 QB's

Bulger is only 31 if I'm not mistaken.

Next years draft needs to address the trenches, more specifically the the OT position. We need to look at the LB and safety position also. QB would be a late round pick if at all.

Just one mans opinion.

chipperjones is offline Registered User

First off let me start by saying it is indeed Daniel, not Daniells. I know I know, but Im a huge Mizzou fan and I just get tired of correcting everyone. Then I want to say that Graham Harrell is a very good QB prospect in the Big 12 as well. On to the question, you can call me biased, but I dont care. I think Daniel will have the most productive Pro career. Some say he is a product of the offense and his height will hurt him. Will his height may indeed hurt him, he has the scrambling ability that you need in the pros, not to mention he is very tough, and when he gets hit...he gets back up. I dont want to here anyone say he is a product of the offense. Anyone with such a great arm (arm strength, and accuracy) not to mention the scrambling ability would be succesful in almost any offense.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

I think Sam Bradford might come out this year, as well. He redshirted as a freshman and is playing his second season.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rams2061 Guest

The best one of the bunch is Chase Daniells. Hopefully the Rams will get him. They need a QB.

fearlessone is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=denverram;251167]We have 3 of the best College QB's in the nation in the Big 12, Colt McCoy, Sam Bradford and Chase Daniells. Will any of these QB's make a good pro? I think the Rams are in a fine position to take one of these guys, sit him behind Bulger for a year or two and then let him play. Bulger is coming to the end and all though I like him, I think we can get better at that position and I would rather get someone and develope him then draft is available at the time.

I know we have OL issues but I think we need to look at 2 of these because thay are fantastic! Daniells and McCoy are both mobile enough to move(Bradford not so much) and escape which is key in today's NFL. We then look at O Line in the 2nd and 3rd round.

What says the clan?

I prefer the SEC QBs like the Mannings as they have SB trophies on their mantels and Cutler looks like the real deal too. Jamarcus Russell will soon be a popular pick on Fantasy teams.

Besides beating up on the likes of Baylor and smu hardly qualify as top tier prospects. OL talent will make decent qbs gods and poor OL talent will turn awesome qbs into hospital orderlys.
    Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=denverram;251167]We have 3 of the best College QB's in the nation in the Big 12, Colt McCoy, Sam Bradford and Chase Daniells. Will any of these QB's make a good pro? I think the Rams are in a fine position to take one of these guys, sit him behind Bulger for a year or two and then let him play. Bulger is coming to the end and all though I like him, I think we can get better at that position and I would rather get someone and develope him then draft whoever is available at the time.

What says the clan?

just to clear something up when you say address the line in round 2 and 3..you suggesting picking one of them with our high first round pick?

if so, no way would i pull the trigger on that..that would be reach of the century!

chiguy is offline Registered User

Todd Reesing is a pretty good QB too (though not a pro prospect). And though the Big 12 has its Baylor's, the SEC has its bottom feeders too.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I'm perfectly happy to grab a 5-7th rounder at QB, that makes sense. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to spend a first day, or even a 3rd round draft pick on a quarterback. Why do you people think so?

Point 1: The game is won in the trenches. If you don't have good lines, you die. We see that with the Rams right now. We had a fair line in 2006(still had the donut brothers), and Bulger was a pro bowler. Since then, our line has been nothing but a turnstile. As such, Bulger's gotten the stuffing beat out of him. The problem lies on Bulger too, but unless you just like seeing different guys getting sacked repeatedly, an early QB pick is stupid.

Point 2: Last year Bulger signed a $70 million, 7 year contract. We are NOT going to cut him after two years into the deal. Try in another 3-4. More to the point, we're not going to use a first round pick on a QB, which would be getting paid $10-12 million per year if we are in the top 5. Do you really want us to have about 18% of our cap locked up in two guys that are at the same position and can't be on the field at the same time? That's worse than having two kickers on your roster...

Point 3: If you're complaining his much now, when a proven Pro Bowler can't play well, what are you guys going to do when there's a selection of QB's all rated closely together, we take one, and he ends up having the same issues? "Oh! We should ahve kept Bulger and not had a $10 million cap hit!" "Oh! We should have taken Z! Look at what he's doing behind that good offensive line! X is just getting sacked behind our crappy one that we could have upgraded had we not wated money on a high round QB!"

The point is, get a good offensive line first, then get your new QB. By then Bulger will be ready to be a backup.

Sorry about the mistake with Daniel, I think Chase is a great player, and I think him and McCoy will be great pro's.

Graham Harrel I think is a product of the TT system more than anything else. Can we say Akili Smith?

Good points about the cap implications. I did not think about that. 18% is a huge portion of the cap to be tied up in one poaition even thought that position is the most important on the field.

OL is HUGE in this game. I do think we need to address this in the draft more than any other position. However I think that these two QB's could be very special players. Do you pass on what could be a special player at QB when you have a chance to take one? We need to address the QB position sooner rather than later. A 5-7 round QB will never be a special player.

zingers16 is offline Registered User

Out of all the options I like Bradford the best. However, I stated in another post that I wouldnt mind seeing Daniel in Rams colors and could also see the management doing this simply because he might be a factor to increase attendance already being a fan favorite of the state.

Quote Originally Posted by denverram View Post
    However I think that these two QB's could be very special players. Do you pass on what could be a special player at QB when you have a chance to take one? We need to address the QB position sooner rather than later. A 5-7 round QB will never be a special player.
    Really? Did you really just say that?

Let me introduce you to my most hated adversary, Tom Brady. 6th round pick in 2000 from Michigan. How about Marc Bulger, also a 6th round pick in 2000.

AJ Feely, he's held his own as a journeyman, 5th round 2001.

JT O'Sullivan? Certainly making Bruce look young again. 6th round 2002.

Hey, is that Tony Romo kid any good? Undrafted, 2003.

Jim Sorgi, whom the Colts trust enough if Peyton goes down, 6th round, 2004.

How about this for a draft? Derek Anderson, 6th round, Matt "I hate him too" Cassel, 7th round, and Ryan Fitzpatrick(ok, I know he's not special, but at least we made a profit on him), 7th round, all in 2005.

I'll stop there, but as you can see, in this 6 year span, there are 6 guys who are starters(or would be a starter, if not for injury) in this league today from the 5th round on. And a 7th guy who started one game. Still think that no one will come out from after the 4th? Still need your expensive 1st round QB?
    Last edited by TekeRam; -10-08-2008 at 10:13 AM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

beating up on the likes of Baylor and smu hardly qualify as top tier prospects.
    Nor does beating up on the likes of Mississippi State, Tulane, Western Kentucky, App. State, North Texas, and Georgia Southern.

Every conference (SEC included) has their schedule cupcakes
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Teke I like the players you bring up.

However, I did say special player. Of the ones you listed only Brady would I consider special and he is an exception. If I thought any of these players would be a journeyman or even as good as Bulger I would not bring this up. I think we have John Elway or Jim Kelly types in these two QB's. I mean franchise and record setting QB's.

AJ Feely is a journeymen and not worth a fisrt round pick in any situation.

JT is a journeyman as well.

Tony Romo, win a playoff game before you are special.

Jim Sorgi, you must be a starter before you are special.

Did you actually ask me about Ryan Fitzpatrick? Yes we made a profit on him but he will never be anything more than a backup.

Denverram

I know I stretched a good deal, a ton on Fitzpatrick, but for him the point was that he started a game this year. And in my opinion, special means going to the pro bowl, because even though it's just a huge popularity, who's doing well this year contest, it does show who is special enough to get noticed by the fans and coaches.

In those 6 years, four of those players who should have had a hard enough time trying to hold on to their jobs were able to get to the pro bowl. Brady, Bulger, Romo and Anderson. I personally think that that is pretty special.

And the question wasn't whether they would be worth a 1st round pick, but if they could be special. In this day and age where you need two good QB's, because not everyone can be a Tom Brady(out for the year) or Peyton Manning(still recovering from his surgery) and play every game. Therefore, if you could tell me that my 6th round QB would be a "special" backup, I'd take that pick every day of the week.

Of the players I mentioned, all but Fitzpatrick(because really, Martz made him awesome for two weeks, and then he sucked again), are worth more than where they were drafted. There's nowhere to go but down for 1st round QB's. Just look at Alex Smith, Matt Leinart, J.P. Losman, Byron Leftwich, Rex Grossman, David Carr, Joey Harrington. 1st round quarterbacks are just adding risk on top of the already big risk of the draft in of itself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast