Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big 12 QB's

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Re: Big 12 QB's

We don't need to burn a first rounder on any of the Big 12 QBs. When's the last time a Stoops QB amounted to anything outside of the college ranks? Colt McCoy strikes me as being one of the more overrated quarterbacks in the land. And Daniel, well, I have concerns that a hobbit will not last long behind our line.

denverram is offline Registered User

I think the inportant thing for any QB drafted is to sit and watch and learn for a few years (2-3). I think of Phillip Rivers inparticular. Let these guys learn the game instead of throwing them to the wolves right out of college.

We have a good QB in Bulger. Let him teach a younger QB for a few years then have that guy take over the show.

He can sit and learn while we draft other areas of need. OL DL LB Safety. The only two postions we are good with is RB and QB. These two positions are very important when bringing in a new QB.

fearlessone is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Nor does beating up on the likes of Mississippi State, Tulane, Western Kentucky, App. State, North Texas, and Georgia Southern.

Every conference (SEC included) has their schedule cupcakes
    Touchy? Beating Georgia, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee and Florida earns respect and the opportunity to win THE hardware.

Beating up crappy opponents is one thing but beating top twenty teams consistently and when it counts is another.

Losing to Boise and being blown out by sc does not exactly impress rabid college football fans.

Daniel looked great in some big games last year but I can't remember how he played in their conference championship.

Teke clarified my point for me. Great ol play wins trophys. Remember Brady in New Orleans? I certainly do.
    Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

schut39 is offline Registered User

I like laram0's thoughts on it. I don't think qb is a top priority right now, because to have a good qb, we need a good o-line. I also think we need a good linebacker. I like Maluaga ( I probably spelled his name wrong) he seems to be quite the linebacker, but hopefully we can get better linebackers than vobora or chamberlain like this year.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by denverram View Post
    I think the inportant thing for any QB drafted is to sit and watch and learn for a few years (2-3). I think of Phillip Rivers inparticular. Let these guys learn the game instead of throwing them to the wolves right out of college.

We have a good QB in Bulger. Let him teach a younger QB for a few years then have that guy take over the show.

He can sit and learn while we draft other areas of need. OL DL LB Safety. The only two postions we are good with is RB and QB. These two positions are very important when bringing in a new QB.
    This franchise has too many cap issues to pay somebody $10 million a year to sit and learn. A late round quarterback can also sit and learn for a few years without being paid nearly that much.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Touchy?
    The word is "touche".

But seriously, what makes you think I'm touchy about this. I'm simply pointing out that the SEC has its share of cupcakes.
    Beating Georgia, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee and Florida earns respect and the opportunity to win THE hardware.
    Not sure I'm following, FLO; no team has beaten Alabama this year and nearly everyone has beaten Tennessee.

But either way, the team that wins THE hardware this year will very likely have to beat a Big XII team to get it.
    Losing to Boise and being blown out by sc does not exactly impress rabid college football fans.
    Lost me here as well, FLO; no Big XII team has played Boise, or either SC (South Carolina or Southern California).
    Daniel looked great in some big games last year but I can't remember how he played in their conference championship.
    Good point. The Big XII Championship was probably his worst game. 23/29, 219 yards, 0/1. However, against ranked opponents, he has actually looked decent. He's 5-4 against ranked opponents for his career, 219/330, 2469 yards, 13/8.........good but not great.
    Great ol play wins trophys.
    Indeed it does. Of course, there is a question of which trophy are we talking about......Heisman or Lombardi? Because history shows that rarely does one lead to the other.

Now, back to the original point.......should the Rams take one of the Big XII QBs from this year's group?

Later round - sure, why not?
    First round - ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!

And that answer goes for ANY QB regardless of conference. A shiny new 1st round QB will NOT solve anything for this team. A shiny new OT, OG, & C will go a lot farther to move this offense down the field than the draft's QB du jour.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm pretty sure Bradford isn't eligible this year, but he'll make for a top QB prospect in 2010 or 2011. Still though, he's out of the discussion right now.

As for the other two, I don't think Chase Daniel is going to be a contender for a high first round pick because of his height. I'm not necessarily saying Daniel can't be a good player, but QBs at that height are fighting an uphill battle and aren't looked at as high first round picks. In conversations about Daniel, people always seem to bring up Drew Brees as an example of a shorter QB doing well. That's fine, but Brees wasn't drafted until the end of the second round and wasn't exactly lighting things up in San Diego at first, hence their investment in Phillip Rivers. So let's be realistic about where Daniel probably projects. I see him as a mid round guy at this point, but in the right circumstances could be effective at the next level.

Colt McCoy, I wasn't incredibly impressed with coming into the year but he's been doing very well. That said, the toughest opponent they've played thus far is... Arkansas? Colorado? I'll be interested to see what he does this weekend against OU. My biggest questions about McCoy right now are (1) arm strength, (2) ability to transition his game to the NFL, and (3) whether he has the size to hold up at the next level. He's listed at 6'3" and 210 pounds, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was smaller in both areas. At that height he needs to put on some weight IMO. After a less than stellar sophomore year, I'd advise him to stay at school for his senior season even if he blows up this year. He needs two back to back years of consistency to help his stock, IMO.

This really is not an incredibly strong year for quarterbacks IMO. Daniel's going to slip because of his height, and besides him, there aren't many impressive QB prospects. The Rams should be able to address other needs at the top of the draft and come back in the mid rounds to take a quarterback if they really feel they have to. It might be better just finding a suitable FA back-up and waiting a year to get your young guy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12