Thread: Big Game

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Big Game

Well, what more can we ask for? Here we get to go see the return of Kurt Warner again, this time in a huge game for both teams; for the Cardinals, who have smoked the Rams recently behind Warner, it's to take a commanding lead in the NFL Weak, I mean West, and for the Rams it's to "Keep Hope Alive," as Jesse Jackson, our next Secretary of State (Just kidding), would say.

For many fans, including our Brit pal Julian (Who we will all go stay with when the RAMS get to play that London Gig), just as meaningful is the installation of Dick Vermeil to the Rams Ring of Honor.

Got the chance to ask Warner about it during the media conference call last Wednesday, and Warner, who said he had shared dinner with Vermeil the night before (And what would some of us paid to join that duo over a nice steak), was effusive in his praise of his ex-coach and still dear friend.

He spoke of what a special person Vermeil is, and it only made me feel sicker that he didn't stay here in 2000, because I saw it in person for three years.

Perhaps my proudest achievement as a writer was back in 1998, when the Rams were at a point as low as early this season.

As was the custom with Vermiel, the media guys gave him Xmas gifts out of their respect and love for him as a person.

Everyone was talking then about how Vermeil had lost it, and couldn't adapt his style to the new generation of players. Fans and some in the media were already looking at him as a lame duck coach.

I was convinced, and took many a shot on the AOL boards, that Vermeil was rebuilding the entire organization the right way, and that only time would show I was right. I listed some other great coaches that took three or more years to turn teams around.

So, that Xmas, I gave Vermeil a bottle of wine with a 1980 vintage year, the same year that Vermeil had gone to the Super Bowl with the Eagles. I enclosed a note, expressing my belief that, like fine wine, some things get better with age, and that I believed his way was right.

A year later, my gift for Vermeil was one of those metal deals like a big tall bowl that you put wine bottles in, I forget what it's even called. On it, I had engraved St. Louis Rams 1999.

In the card, I told the coach that I believed the space below could have Super Bowl Champions added in another month, but I didn't want to jinx the team by putting anything there.

Don't know if he ever had the engraving finished, but the memory of these two Xmas gifts will remain in my heart forever.

It will be great to shake Dick Vermeil's hand Sunday, and I can bet everyone in the media and everyone he comes into contact with here will get to as well, if they don't get a Vermeil special hug.

This Sunday, Dick Vermeil won't be the only one in tears, as his name is unveiled, one day to be joined by Warner, Isaac Bruce, Orlando Pace, and Torry Holt, and perhaps others such as Adam Timmerman and Jeff WIlkins, who took Vermeil to the promised land.

Barry Waller

maineram is offline Registered User

Re: Big Game

Nice read Barry and YES a very big game for us. How things have changed in St. Louis since the Bash game. Here's to a lot less shaking your head in the press box this week, and more smiles !!!!

Enjoy the festivities

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

This is the GAME. Are we the 2008 (0-4) RAMS or the 2008 (2-1) RAMS?

This "ONE" game can turn our whole season around or throw us back into the depths of loserville.

To be honest......

I LIKE OUR CHANCES!

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

This is the one that matters the most. We've been primed to go by our last three opponents and we need to let er rip against this team. If we can come away with the win it will boost the heck out of everything. We need this one in the worst way. Everyone has to have a good game. Both sides of the ball. Lay it all on the line.

majorram is offline Registered User

great to hear you barry, Vermeil is truly amazing guy, we all love him for what he brought to us as fans... on the game, man ,this is HUGE and will tell us WHERE we are, and I can't wait

PS don't tell lis you spoke to Warner, man she just loves the guy...

look after my pal julian and Eddy over there....

steve and lis
    Last edited by majorram; -10-31-2008 at 09:06 AM.
    "The breakfast Club"

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Superb post Mr. Waller ...

As we go into the weekend to play this game, I don't think we have really truly taken a minute to step back and understand the magnitude of this game. Yea, yea, yea, it sounds kind of silly, because we are 2-5, but I am having a hard time finding a game in recent franchise city (since we moved to St. Louis) that could potentially have the solidary impact that this one can. And that is for a number of reasons:

1. After an 0-4 start, we change coaches, and we are sitting at 2-5, and could easily be 3-4. New coach, new belief. We saw how the team reacted in terms of confidence. They handled the Redskins then looked unbeatable against the Cowboys. Then we were able to play a hard fought game against NE at their place. But how will we react after losing a game? Moreso, how will we react after losing a game and jumping into the next one with your season on the line? Anything short of incredible intensity and focus from the onset would be a dissapointment. I truly think Haslett can secure his position as the next head coach of this franchise with a victory here. He'll prove he can win the big game.

2. You have a suffering fan base in St. Louis. For the past couple years, this organization has fielded a subpar product compared against the Super Bowl champion and the teams in the few coming years after that. From the beginning this year, I've noticed that the fans seem to want to give this team one more chance. It was an amazing atmosphere against the Cowboys. Everyone wants to believe that this team is for real. A win against the Cards will reenergize every Ram's fan out there. They will believe again, they will believe the Rams can win the big games, they will believe the Rams are winners, and they will show up to the games again, and they will make the EJD one of the most feared places to play in the league. A loss here could deflate the entire fanbase, the city, and it might be difficult to get them to recover.

3. Playoffs, playoffs, playoffs. Playing in a weak division, the Rams have an opportunity to make one of, if not the most, epic turnaround in league history. I cannot remember any team that started 0-4 doing any damage. We have an opportunity to jump right back in. A win Sunday and we are 1 game back with the tiebreaker. A loss Sunday and we are 3 games back and they have the tiebreaker. Really, can you remember any single game having such a huge impact on the standing? I cannot. The Cards win on Sunday, and they all but have the division rapped up barring a self-destruction. In terms of winning the division and sniffing the playoffs, this is a must win.

Its simple, the players need to show up this week. We have showed we can be a competetive football team. Now its time to show we can be a winning football team. We are capable of winning this game, no doubt, but the players have to believe. They cannot let the loss last week weigh on them. Point is simple, they need to perform this week. This team needs to perform like it a winner on Sunday.

Its do or die. We'll either be playing for the division the rest of the season, or we'll be playing for pride. We'll know after Sunday ....

I believe! I sure hope they do ...

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Playoffs, playoffs, playoffs. Playing in a weak division, the Rams have an opportunity to make one of, if not the most, epic turnaround in league history... We have an opportunity to jump right back in. A win Sunday and we are 1 game back with the tiebreaker. A loss Sunday and we are 3 games back and they have the tiebreaker. Really, can you remember any single game having such a huge impact on the standing? I cannot. The Cards win on Sunday, and they all but have the division rapped up barring a self-destruction. In terms of winning the division and sniffing the playoffs, this is a must win.

Its do or die.
    This game is like a playoff game! We need to show up! We can't afford all the injuries. Jax MUST play this sunday or it's over!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Actually, I think that Carriker and Little are more critical than Jax. We couldn't generate a pass rush against Cassell this past Sunday...I think a pass rush would have made a world of difference in that game.

Warner has been protected pretty good this season. If Warner has protection, he tears defenses apart.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Truth is offline Registered User

Vermeil and Warner, two of the classiest men to ever wear the blue and gold!!!
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!