RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Big things for Bulger

Bulger finally starting to get some love.

By Jeffri Chadiha
    ESPN.com

Don't be surprised if St. Louis Rams quarterback Marc Bulger produces his best season as a pro.

He spent 2006 adjusting to the new offense installed by coach Scott Linehan -- one that required Bulger to get the ball out quickly and call more audibles -- and he still wound up in the Pro Bowl. With a full season now behind him, he should be even more comfortable in that system.

For one, the Rams have added more weapons (wide receiver Drew Bennett and tight end Randy McMichael) to a talented offense. Offensive coordinator Greg Olson also displayed an impressive feel for play calling after Linehan relinquished those responsibilities late last season. And above all else, the 30-year-old Bulger is entering the prime of his career. That alone should be reason for him to gain more recognition for his underrated skills.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Big things for Bulger

There's some pressure on Marc to perform at a high level again for 2007.

Can he handle it? I say he can.

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    There's some pressure on Marc to perform at a high level again for 2007.

Can he handle it? I say he can.
    There has always been pressure on Bulger. First he had to follow Warner, and also having a talented offense around him has put pressure on him since the day he started.
    Last edited by ramsbruce; -07-18-2007 at 08:39 PM.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

:r
    I agree. Bulger's dealt with pressure from day one and any troubles this year will likely only be isolated events.

I was at a game in St. Louis when (pre-thumb defect) Warner was taken out for injury and Bulger came in. I remember thinking the guy looked pretty scrawny and that since the visiting team had been clobbering on Warner all 1st half, the guy wouldn't last. He was thrown into the mix in the second half (maybe late 2nd quarter) and sure 'nuff, he got hurried and got well acquainted with the turf, but kept cool in the pocket and got a few licks in himself. All told, he did awesome under the pressure and the Rams got a W at home.

Bulger takes a cool approach to the game and is not usually subject to rash emotional type of play. We've seen him exhibit Farve-esque celebratory conduct for a TD pass, what.... maybe twice? Maybe a half-dozen fist pumps along the way.

He knows the game and plays in a collected manner. I don't think contract year, or the hype about the newly acquired receiving threats around him will do much to dissuade his approach. He knows the level of play he'll receive from his support staff and will likely remain composed under center, even if there are a few turbulent games or Carolina type shut-outs again.

I believe he'll stay cool and calm (insert highlight of Rams at Seattle October 10 '04 come back from behind win here), just as the veterans before him did whom he learned such grace under pression from: the names of Faulk and Bruce come to mind.

It's that pesky nagging thin veil of outside secondary support that's got me worried..... again.

Okay, mark the date. My first post is now in the books. go blue-
    ps. is anybody else looking forward to nfl network's 2007 cheerleader challenge?

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Welcome to the Clan KoaKoi!

So you noticed Bulger's fist pumping as well? Me, BRM and r8rh8rmike had quite a lenghty discussion about Bulger's fist action one night...
    Last edited by RamFan_Til_I_Die; -07-19-2007 at 05:32 PM.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Thank you RamFantilIdie, glad to be here...

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Bulger is cool under pressure, and I have in the past expressed my concern that maybe he was too laid back. With his "calling out" last season of under performing teammates, I think he has finally taken the reigns of this team. I look for him to take control of the team on the field this season.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I second the opinion of Bulger's taking pressure well. He proved to be the better QB against a Super Bowl MVP who gave us our only victory there and led us back. Since then he's had to continually prove that he's been the correct choice, while getting Holt to 10000 and keeping Bruce happy. Now that he has weapons out the wahzoo, he's not going to fall down on the job, he's going to be ecstatic because defenses are going to have to blitz a lot more, which will give him open receivers, or put more guys into coverage which will give him time, all because any one of our guys can be dangerous.

In terms of depth and skill level, I'll take our skill players on Offense above anyone else. The only one that comes close(real close) is Indy, but they don't have a second RB like I think we have in Leonard. I'd put our top three receivers as a push(Holt = Harrison, Bruce < Wayne, Bennett > Gonzalez), but our Tight Ends better, and then Manning of course on top of Bulger.

helorm341 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by KoaKoi View Post
    I agree. Bulger's dealt with pressure from day one and any troubles this year will likely only be isolated events.

I was at a game in St. Louis when (pre-thumb defect) Warner was taken out for injury and Bulger came in. I remember thinking the guy looked pretty scrawny and that since the visiting team had been clobbering on Warner all 1st half, the guy wouldn't last. He was thrown into the mix in the second half (maybe late 2nd quarter) and sure 'nuff, he got hurried and got well acquainted with the turf, but kept cool in the pocket and got a few licks in himself. All told, he did awesome under the pressure and the Rams got a W at home.

Bulger takes a cool approach to the game and is not usually subject to rash emotional type of play. We've seen him exhibit Farve-esque celebratory conduct for a TD pass, what.... maybe twice? Maybe a half-dozen fist pumps along the way.

He knows the game and plays in a collected manner. I don't think contract year, or the hype about the newly acquired receiving threats around him will do much to dissuade his approach. He knows the level of play he'll receive from his support staff and will likely remain composed under center, even if there are a few turbulent games or Carolina type shut-outs again.

I believe he'll stay cool and calm (insert highlight of Rams at Seattle October 10 '04 come back from behind win here), just as the veterans before him did whom he learned such grace under pression from: the names of Faulk and Bruce come to mind.

It's that pesky nagging thin veil of outside secondary support that's got me worried..... again.

Okay, mark the date. My first post is now in the books. go blue-
    ps. is anybody else looking forward to nfl network's 2007 cheerleader challenge?

I agree, Bulger is the definition of cool and collected. On the feild and off, winning and losing. Bulger had huge shoes to fill and the spotlight on him since the day he took over. If he was going to fold he would have done it four years ago. I'm not sure why this guy thinks that Drew Bennett and McMicheal are going to scare him all of a sudden.