Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Country Guest

Biggest Weakness on the Team

What is the biggest weakness that remains on the St. Louis Rams at this point in the offseason.

In my opinion it is at the S position, which as of right now does not have a true impact player. If I look at the roster for the S that the Rams will be entering into the 2008 season with,

FS O.J Atogwe, was alriggt last year but nothing special or even solid. His tackling needs serious work if he is going to have an impact in the running game like Bob Sanders or Sean Taylor.

SS Cory Chavous, he is a veteran leader in the secondary, but his physical skills are nothing like they use to be and he struggles in coverage. At best he is a stop gap in a division with improving WRs.

FS Todd Johnson, a special teams ace who has never really played in a starting role. He does not have the ability to start and impact a game unless he takes a big step up.

SS Jerome Carter, he has the best size of the S at 5'11" 220lbs. but he has not done much in his time. He has good run support ability but not much in terms of expereince.

All in all this group might be the worst on the team.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Biggest Weakness on the Team

I thought for sure when I opened this thread that it would be another DT bashing.

Lots of question marks concerning the DT position.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Assuming some combination of Carriker, Wroten, Jackson, Ryan, etc. steps up and makes a case for the future of our interior line, I will agree that a thumper of a Safety would be a nice addition. If so, I would love to see a Kenny Phillips (Miami) or Tom Zbikowski (Notre Dame) early in the draft, or maybe a Wesley Woodyard (Kentucky) a little later.

Of course, pretty soon we're going to have some big names to replace as well......Little, Bruce, Pace.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

I strongly disagree with this point. Our major weakness is still clearly on the DL ....

Atogwe is going into his third year. He showed significant improvement from year 1 to year 2, and I expect him to continue to mature into year 3. He does miss his far share of tackles, but any safety who had to face as many RB's running in clear daylight as are safeties do would miss tackles. IIRC, he led all DB in the NFL with 5 forced fumbles. That is a crazy number for a DB. He's a hard hitter and a hard worker who needs to continue to work on his fundamentals. I think he will develop just fine ...

Chavous is an excellent, mature leader, and in my opinion, fairly crucial to our defense, especially the young DB's. I don't see the gripe here. He made 86 tackles last year and is still very servicable ...

Good depth with Johnson and Carter.

I am not understanding what their is to complain about here. If Atogwe continues to grow, looks like we have a good group of safeties, with some young depth ...

I strongly disagree with this point. Our major weakness is still clearly on the DL ....
    I'll clarify. A strong case could be made for still needing help on the DL, especially DE. Little is getting older by the day (aren't we all ), and there's nothing proven on the other side. So I would agree that going after a DE early would suit me fine. However, there's also a case for SS, in my opinion. Atogwe performed better than most give him credit for. As you said, he was tied for the league lead in FFs by DBs. He was 3rd on the team in tackles, behind Spoon and Chavous. As for Chavous, he too played admirably and his value off the field is a plus. But he is 31 with no real depth behind him. The only other SS's on the roster are Carter, who I have little faith in, and Johnson who is not a starting SS.

I can't speak for Country, but my point of view is this......if "A" rated DE and "A" rated SS are on the board when we draft next year, get the DE. However, if we draft where I think we're going to (late teens), there is a better likelihood of a value SS being there than a value DE. If that's the case, nothing wrong with taking the SS.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

I'm not sure why people still insist that our safety's and are corner-backs are so terrible. Atogwe and Chavous were forced to make a ridiculous amount of plays because of a horrid defensive line and a banged up line backer corps. The D-line verdict is still out, but the new depth at linebacker should keep less running backs from tearing threw our back field, easing the safety's job's. I would argue that DE is still by far are weakest position. Everyone knows that Little is a sure thing, but Hall's health is a real concern for me, especially since their is zero depth for pass rushers currently on this roster. As for the safety's go, I'll agree that their's not any major play makers but at least we have some solid depth.
    Last edited by mikhal5569; -05-16-2007 at 10:09 AM.

Rambos is offline Registered User

On paper, I will say we still need DE depth, in a third down edge rusher.

Quote Originally Posted by mikhal
    I'm not sure why people still insist that our safety's and are corner-backs are so terrible.
    I don't think anyone sees them as terrible. Well, after 2nd thought, I'll speak just for myself.......I don't think our DBs are terrible. They are serviceable. With Hill, Brown, Atogwe, & Chavous starting and Bartell at nickel, our DBs aren't that bad. However, the SS position will need to be addressed in the near future. We have three SS on the roster.....Chavous, Carter, Johnson. IMO, Chavous is fine, but 31. Carter and Johnson are nothing more than back-ups. I don't want to see either of them in the bulk of our defensive sets.

Do we need another DE or even starting WR? Yes, we do......but if the value isn't there when we pick, we should address the SS position.

Country Guest

I challenge anyone hear to find a worse set of starting safeties in the NFL. They are by far the worst safeties in the division.

Quote Originally Posted by Country View Post
    I challenge anyone hear to find a worse set of starting safeties in the NFL. They are by far the worst safeties in the division.
    Oh gosh, I think we could use an addition to eventualy take over at SS, but I wouldn't say they're the worst. Just off the top of my head, I'd take Atogwe and Chavous over Cincy (Williams & Jackson), Atlanta (Crocker & Milloy), whiners (Lewis & Lewis), Detroit (Bullocks & Kennedy), Houston (Brown & Earl), Miami (Bell & Hill), Tampa (Phillips & Allen), KC (Wesley & Page)....

I just don't think Atogwe and Chavous are the "worst" in the league.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

I don't know whether I should laugh or just be amazed at the ignorance of this statement:

"I challenge anyone hear to find a worse set of starting safeties in the NFL. They are by far the worst safeties in the division."

The author of this statement clearly does not watch football or know anything about football. Hate to be mean, but well, its the truth:

Between Chavous and Atogwe:

161 tackles, 2 sacks, 2.5 TFL, 5 FF, 4 INT, and 18 PD

Looks like solid production to me. They are a middle of the pack tandem, and could be better if Atogwe continues to develop ...

Unbelievable the things people say ...

bruce4life is offline Registered User

ya i have a worse combo of safeties its michael lewis and chad williams of the niners... or how about the bengals safeties who the hell are they anyways???

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Troy Palomalu is an UFA next year, but that might be a long shot

The Shredder Guest

DT, CB, S, OLB

DT - Carriker is an upgrade, but the lack of depth is a huge issue. You can't expect a rookie DT to take all of those snaps. Kennedy needs to never play in the NFL again. Glover is declining. Depth at this position is a huge need. People here who think Sam Adams can solve the depth issue are insane.

CB - Hill will be good someday. But the talent level here is also a big ?. Wade will be nothing more than a DCB or NCB.

S - Atogwe sucks. Chavous isn't bad but he's more of a in-the-box safety. He had one very good season in 2003, other than that he's been avg at the very best.

OLB - Can Pisa stay healthy? Let's hope so because Chillar is awful. In 11 games last season Pisa recorded only 36 tackles. Not very good. I still think the Rams need to go after Briggs.
    Last edited by The Shredder; -05-16-2007 at 05:13 PM.

The Shredder Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Troy Palomalu is an UFA next year, but that might be a long shot
    No way PIT doesn't resign him. He's clearly the best player on that defense. The city would start a riot especially after letting go of Porter this season.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast