Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Country is offline Registered User

Re: Biggest Weakness on the Team

Atogwe could be very solid, but he is not there yet and is starting to take his time getting there.

Can you imagine the Rams defense with a guy like Ed Reed in the defensive backfield.

keith m. klink Guest

listen , our pass defense was ranked #7 or #8 or something like that , and don't you dare blame the run defense for it . every year a team has to fix holes and draft players to help . next years draft will be no differant . we will be looking for SAFETIES , DEFENSIVE END'S , WIDE RECEIVERS , and who know's , maybe D-TACKLE again . but to nitpick about every little thing just to hear yourself piss and moan is idiotic , and to say that our safety combo is the worst in the nfl , or division , or even the state , show's you know little about players or the game . you should print and frame all this negative stuff and put it on your tack board , and see what they do this year before you make a conclusion on the year and the players .

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by The Shredder View Post
    The stats will show they held their own because everyone and their mother knew all you had to do to beat the Rams was to run the football.
    Where in my post did I say they held their own based on stats? That's not the point I was making. As I stated earlier, the Rams secondary had to try and perform under the worst kind of circumstances with almost zero support up front, yet still managed to make plays and be reasonably effective, despite the handicap. That's the point.

I know you're a Chiefs fan, but again, how many Rams games did you actually watch last year?? What exactly are you basing your assumptions on? Are they based on what YOU want to believe? I love the fact that you make the assumption that Chavous is worse than Wesley, who in your opinion sucks, and therefore the logical conclusion is the Rams secondary sucks. That's classic!

Quote Originally Posted by The Shredder
    I never said Wesley was sooo good, I think he sucks. Having that said he's better than Chavous. That just says something about the Rams secondary.

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Country View Post
    Atogwe could be very solid, but he is not there yet and is starting to take his time getting there.

Can you imagine the Rams defense with a guy like Ed Reed in the defensive backfield.
    Can you imagine any NFL defense with a guy like Ed Reed in the backfield? Ed Reed would make any defense better, not just the Rams. Atogwe is taking his time getting there; please, the guy hardly played his rookie year and last year was his first as a starter. Now if he goes backwards this year then I will agree with all of your comments, but until then I will hold off saying we have to replace him.
    Sprtsmac :football:

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=Country;173339]
    FS O.J Atogwe, was alriggt last year but nothing special or even solid. His tackling needs serious work if he is going to have an impact in the running game like Bob Sanders or Sean Taylor.
    QUOTE]

Sean Taylor might not be a very good example as he had very little impact in stopping the Rams running game while he was trying to avoid Stephen Jackson.
    Sprtsmac :football:

general counsel is offline Registered User

I strongly disagree with the conclusion that our pass defense is not impacted by our pathetic run defense. Look at total points allowed and total yards allowed. Why should teams throw when they can run the ball down our throats? How did we do in sacks?

I am not defending our pass defense, because i think that our lack of a pass rush is the critical component on why we have issues pass defense wise, but its quite clear to me that statistically, our pass defense looks better because of the ease other teams had in running the ball against us.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

The Shredder Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sprtsmac View Post
    Can you imagine any NFL defense with a guy like Ed Reed in the backfield? Ed Reed would make any defense better, not just the Rams. Atogwe is taking his time getting there; please, the guy hardly played his rookie year and last year was his first as a starter. Now if he goes backwards this year then I will agree with all of your comments, but until then I will hold off saying we have to replace him.
    What makes you think Atogwe is anything like Ed Reed or could be? Reed was the defensive player of the year a couple seasons ago.

The Shredder Guest

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I strongly disagree with the conclusion that our pass defense is not impacted by our pathetic run defense. Look at total points allowed and total yards allowed. Why should teams throw when they can run the ball down our throats? How did we do in sacks?

I am not defending our pass defense, because i think that our lack of a pass rush is the critical component on why we have issues pass defense wise, but its quite clear to me that statistically, our pass defense looks better because of the ease other teams had in running the ball against us.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Good post, I agree.

The Shredder Guest

[quote=sprtsmac;173717]
    Quote Originally Posted by Country View Post
    FS O.J Atogwe, was alriggt last year but nothing special or even solid. His tackling needs serious work if he is going to have an impact in the running game like Bob Sanders or Sean Taylor.
    QUOTE]

Sean Taylor might not be a very good example as he had very little impact in stopping the Rams running game while he was trying to avoid Stephen Jackson.
    He's still a top 5 safety in the league and is still very young. I wouldn't base his ability on that one game. WAS defense was terrible last season and was night and day im comparison to what they were in the previous season. I know this, I wouldnt wanna be Holt, Bruce, or Bennett or God forbid Dante Hall coming across the middle of the field with Taylor and Landry back there.

The Shredder Guest

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Where in my post did I say they held their own based on stats? That's not the point I was making. As I stated earlier, the Rams secondary had to try and perform under the worst kind of circumstances with almost zero support up front, yet still managed to make plays and be reasonably effective, despite the handicap. That's the point.

I know you're a Chiefs fan, but again, how many Rams games did you actually watch last year?? What exactly are you basing your assumptions on? Are they based on what YOU want to believe? I love the fact that you make the assumption that Chavous is worse than Wesley, who in your opinion sucks, and therefore the logical conclusion is the Rams secondary sucks. That's classic!
    I live in Columbia,MO and my roomate is BigDaddyPace. Trust me I watch alot or Rams games. I enjoy it. I switch back n forth if the KC game is on at the same time.

What my point was that Welsey is better than Chavous and that Chavous wouldnt start on the Chiefs.

The Shredder Guest

Quote Originally Posted by keith m. klink View Post
    listen , our pass defense was ranked #7 or #8 or something like that , and don't you dare blame the run defense for it . every year a team has to fix holes and draft players to help . next years draft will be no differant . we will be looking for SAFETIES , DEFENSIVE END'S , WIDE RECEIVERS , and who know's , maybe D-TACKLE again . but to nitpick about every little thing just to hear yourself piss and moan is idiotic , and to say that our safety combo is the worst in the nfl , or division , or even the state , show's you know little about players or the game . you should print and frame all this negative stuff and put it on your tack board , and see what they do this year before you make a conclusion on the year and the players .
    How can you not blame piss poor run defense on that?

Why would teams pass the ball when they know they can run run run the ball down your throats all game and control the clock to keep the STL offense off the field.

I think General Counsel's post said it best.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Geez, dude. Five posts in a row on one thread. I think you need to stop obsessing and chill a bit.

The Shredder Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Just the Chiefs knew that to beat the Colts in the playoffs, all they had to do was pound Larry Johnson.

How did that one work out for you guys?

It worked terrible and was stupid for Herm and Co. to broadcast it across America on sporting networks and radio shows that we were gonna just run run run Larry all game. I'm sure after about a week of people across America stating that Indys run defense is screwed was some kind of motivation, but overall that defense REALLY turned it up in the postseason. Our defense played well enough to win that game in my opinion with the turnovers they created. The reason why we lost that game is because:

1. Indy's defense really turned it up in the playoffs, they led the NFL in total defense in the postseason, better than CHI,NE,NYJ,SD,DAL, and PHI which were all good defenses in the reg season.

2. We didn't have a plan B. The coaching staff thought that eventually their Defense would give in and it didn't. That's just bad game preparation offensively which Herm has been known for, for quite sometime. You can ask any NYJ fan about that. That and our Oline was just awful that game. I dont care how many Probowlers you have around that line we still would have lost that game. That Oline protection was just terrible. It makes me wanna cry just thinking about it. I'm sure as hell glad LT Jordan Black is gone. RIP Matt Shaub.

The Shredder Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Geez, dude. Five posts in a row on one thread. I think you need to stop obsessing and chill a bit.
    just gotta play catchup.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by The Shredder View Post
    I live in Columbia,MO and my roomate is BigDaddyPace. Trust me I watch alot or Rams games. I enjoy it. I switch back n forth if the KC game is on at the same time.

What my point was that Welsey is better than Chavous and that Chavous wouldnt start on the Chiefs.
    Okay, but you followed up your statement about Chavous with this:

Quote Originally Posted by The Shredder
    That just says something about the Rams secondary.
    Maybe I misunderstood, but to me it sounds like you're using your own observation that Wesley is better than Chavous to make the case that the Rams secondary is horrible.

I guess we know who to go to now if you get out of hand.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast