HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Bill Coats: Carriker is ready to go

Rams Notes: Carriker is ready to go
    By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    08/09/2007

Adam Carriker has completed most of the camp rituals. He's lugged the veterans' pads off the practice fields. He's sung the Nebraska fight song in front of the entire team. He's polishing up his role for the annual rookie show.

The fun and games are about to end, though.

Granted, Friday's contest at Minnesota is of the preseason variety. Still, it will give the Rams a first glimpse into their hefty investment — a first-round draft pick and $9.4 million in guaranteed money — against a true NFL opponent.

"He's ready," coach Scott Linehan said. "He's worked with the (first team) from the get-go and never looked out of place. It'll be fun to watch him play."
    Advertisement

The 6-foot-6 Carriker, a defensive lineman whose weight during training camp has hovered between 305 and 310 pounds, is being counted on to help shore up a defense that yielded more yards on the ground last season than all but one other team.

"Obviously, there's going to be pressure," Carriker acknowledged. "But ... I'm just going to go out there and do the best I can. And I always plan on doing well. There are going to be plays when you lose and plays when you win. You've just got to win more plays than you lose."

One of the chief challenges in moving from defensive end at Nebraska to tackle here is expunging many of the techniques he used in college.

"A lot of the things I learned at Nebraska that I was supposed to do, if I do it here, it's wrong," he said. "So I'm unlearning some of the stuff that I'd been taught for three or four years. But other than that, I'm adjusting pretty well."

An infusion of veteran savvy has hastened the process.

"I see three guys, La'Roi (Glover), Leonard (Little) and James (Hall) taking him under their wing and explaining to him how it is," Linehan said. "He knows that he needs to earn his stripes and that he'd better listen."

Carriker expects to play most of the first half against the Vikings.

"He'll probably get a few more snaps than the veterans that are considered first unit," Linehan said. "He's going to need the time to get ready for the first (regular-season) game."

That starts with making sure he keeps his emotions under control, Carriker stressed.

"I don't want to get over-hyped, because that's when you make mistakes," he said. "I just want to go out and do what I do — go out and play football and have fun."

CENTER STAGE

With center Andy McCollum absent because of illness, Brett Romberg took all the snaps with the starters Wednesday. Linehan said McCollum had the stomach flu and "instead of exposing everyone to it, we sent him home."

Linebacker Raonall Smith (shoulder) and tackle Ken Shackleford (knee) were the only players sitting out with injuries, a surprisingly low total nearly two weeks into training camp.

GIBSON'S ROUTE

Although he was a fourth-round draft choice in 2005, newly signed wide receiver Fred Gibson has yet to make an NFL roster. He spent the past two years on Miami's practice squad, where Linehan — the Dolphins' offensive coordinator in '05 — got a good look at him.

"He was a young receiver in his first year, and it was really tough to make an impact — very few do unless they're such an elite player coming out" of college, Linehan said. "Sometimes guys just need to find the right place and the right system so they can have a chance to stick."

RAM-BLINGS

After a morning walk-through, the team practiced for about 90 minutes in the afternoon. ... The Rams ended the '06 season with a 41-21 victory at Minnesota.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

Re: Bill Coats: Carriker is ready to go

Can't wait to see Carriker in some live action. Let the games begin.

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    "He's ready," coach Scott Linehan said. "He's worked with the (first team) from the get-go and never looked out of place. It'll be fun to watch him play."
    It's very encouraging that Linehan thinks that Carriker is ready. If he is ready and can hold his own this year the defense as a whole will improve.

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

Well, we'll get a better idea how ready he is Friday night. What I'm really looking for is a player that is not lost and makes a couple of plays. Then as the preseason progresses, a player that is getting better each game. If this happens with Carriker, I will be very happy when the season starts.
    Sprtsmac :football:

PostalRam is offline Registered User

You have to agreed that the front four will be interesting to watch this season!

Lou
    PostalRam
    WPB, Florida

TekeRam is offline Registered User

He's a first rounder, he should be ready to go. I think it's very smart of them to keep him in longer than that other vets because of two things. First to get his game conditioning up, and second, to give him a bit of confidence as he beats up on their second string line in the second quarter.

Stone Cold Tavon Austin is offline Registered User

with him gaining the weight that he has will help him become a great DT but only time will tell. We just need to hop ehe isnt another pickett.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Well, I guess there's no better first test for Carriker to take than going up against Steve Hutchinson and Matt Birk (assuming both play as well).
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!