Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    TekeRam is offline Registered User

Billick fired by Ravens... OC?

OWINGS MILLS, Md. (AP) -- Brian Billick was fired as coach of the Baltimore Ravens on Monday, less than a day after his team concluded a disappointing 5-11 season.
    Players were told of the dismissal as they packed up their lockers at the team's practice facility.
    Billick won the 2001 Super Bowl in his second season with the Ravens, and led the team to a franchise-best 13-3 record in 2006. But Baltimore lost a team-record nine consecutive games this season before ending the skid Sunday with a 27-21 win over Pittsburgh.
    "This is the reality of our business," cornerback Samari Rolle said.
    Billick's nine seasons with Baltimore was tied for third with Philadelphia's Andy Reid as the third-longest current run with the same team. He took the Ravens to the playoffs in 2000, 2001, 2003 and 2006, but Baltimore won only one postseason game since its Super Bowl run after the 2000 season.
    "Sometimes the message can get repetitive after a while," 12-year offensive tackle Jonathan Ogden said.
    Ogden said this month that Billick had informed the team he would be returning in 2008. But owner Steve Bisciotti evidently changed his mind.
    The Ravens expected to compete for a world championship this season after bringing back almost every starter from last year's AFC North champions. But injuries and a turnover-prone offense contributed to a complete collapse after a 4-2 start, and Baltimore finished last in the division.
    "This year the injury bug not only hit us, (it) hit our prime-time players," linebacker Bart Scott said.
    Billick, 53, was hired as Baltimore's second head coach in January 1999, succeeding Ted Marchibroda. In Billick's first season, the Ravens reached .500 (8-8) for the first time. Then he led Baltimore to a 12-4 record and a berth in the Super Bowl, where the Ravens beat the New York Giants 34-7.
    Billick was 80-64 as Baltimore's coach. He was the offensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings before being coming to the Ravens.
    "I'm not saying I agree with it," kicker Matt Stover said of Billick's dismissal, "but sometimes things have to change."
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Brian Billick... well, he hasn't shown much of an offensive side in Baltimore, but that's not the team he's ever had there. He's always had a defensive powerhouse that would grind away clock in the run game. However, he was the Minnesota offensive coordinator before that, until 1998, which I believe was the NFL's highest scoring team previous to the Pats this season. At the very least, he comes with loads of experience and could quite probably help out our run game and hopefully return to us a bit of our passing game.

mpire is offline Registered User

Re: Billick fired by Ravens... OC?

Poor guy has always been saddled with that "Offensive Guru" tag and it's the first thing to be wheeled out on the local talk shows when things go bad for the Ravens.
    The guy was lucky enough to coach Randy Moss when he wanted to play in Minnesota.
    Still a good coach, I'd take him over our current idiot in a heartbeat.

Side note.. Anyone know if Billick and Linehan were on the Vikings at the same time back then?

moloch41 is offline Registered User

This guy won a Superbowl for them and has consistantly fielded a team with a top notch defense good enough to make them competitive all the way around and he gets fired. Our guy hasn't beaten a winning team in two years, has compilied a 11-21 record, has star players berating him on the sidelines, and he gets a vote of confidence from management. What's wrong with that picture?

rams2061 Guest

I think losing to Miami pretty much got him fired.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Note to Shaw and Zygmunt: GET ON THE DAMN PHONE NOW, MORONS!! Ahem, now that I got that out of my system, I should like to further comment that it is apparent to me that quality management people know when to make a quick and decisive move when people the caliber of Brian Billick become available. Umm... O.K. I realize that I just used the word 'quality' and Shaw/Zygmunt in the same post. This may be a first.

WHAT SAY YE?

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Ogden said this month that Billick had informed the team he would be returning in 2008. But owner Steve Bisciotti evidently changed his mind.
    Interesting... If it can happen in Baltimore...

live4ramin is online now Registered User

If this should come to pass it would come in our darkest hour, reminiscent of the Dick Vermiel arrival.

Here's a guy that CAN grind-it-out-manage-the-clock-win-the-game-with-defense-and-just-enough-offense-to-get-er-done.
    Last edited by live4ramin; -12-31-2007 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Sofit came over from the Panthers.
    Let the hype begin.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Maybe, as long as he doesn't bring that crap he had when playing with an injured Steve McNair (2 yard passes all the time, even on 3rd and 15). I HATED to watch their offense at times, but it seemed they opened it up more with Boller (a QB who was healthy) and earlier in the year with McNair (before he was hurt all over).

live4ramin is online now Registered User

That sounds like our offense. But this dude can make us tough. Man, we need some tough.
    Last edited by live4ramin; -12-31-2007 at 10:32 PM.
    Let the hype begin.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    That sounds like our offense. But this dude can make us tough. Man, we need some tough.
    lol, yeah it does, at least this year it sure did.
    Agreed, we need toughness, and some pure grit.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

I already posted in the NFL section, but...If Billick comes over he bring Rex Ryan. Same coaches new team could bring Suggs over. The pieces are there for the offensive minded Billick and the defense could come along in a year or some under Ryan. I want this guy calling the shots by the end of the night.

curleyski is offline Registered User

Cool Re: Billick fired by Ravens... OC?

Did Billick ever have the offensive weapons to make it a high powered offense (with the ravens) or did he just lose it? i know he was pretty damn good in minnesota but he had the guys to make it happen. i hated watching the ravens play anyway, it was all about ray lewis and nothing else! if i didn't know billick was a offensive GURU before he came to the ravens i would have never guessed while he coached the ravens. short passes on 3rd and a mile, every frickin' time. i also heard that mike martz was to be fired, any truth to this rumor?? would he take his old OC job back??:l

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Martz isn't fired yet. And there's no way he's walking in St. Louis with anything that resembles a horn.

Why not be all about Ray Lewis? He's the best backer in the league and led one of the best defenses in NFL history for years. The lack of talent on the offense was unreal. They could run the ball well enough, but that and a defense is all you need. You can't throw for it when you have no one to catch it, or no one to throw it for that matter.

union jack rammer is offline Registered User

fear not. According to the post-dispatch earlier today,our brilliant front office has pinpointed our teams poor performance.... it's all Tony Softli's fault

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    This guy won a Superbowl for them and has consistantly fielded a team with a top notch defense good enough to make them competitive all the way around and he gets fired. Our guy hasn't beaten a winning team in two years, has compilied a 11-21 record, has star players berating him on the sidelines, and he gets a vote of confidence from management. What's wrong with that picture?
    Billick was supposed to make an impact on the offense and never came close.

Speaking of players berating coaches on the sideline, did you happen to see most of Billick's defensive players screaming, yelling and wildly gesturing in his face during the game against the Patriots after the timeout was called that negated the 4th down stop??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast