gap Guest

Billion Dollar RAMS????

One of my co-workers just told me that he had heard on the news that someone offerred Georgia 1 Billions dollars ($1,000,000,000) for the RAMS. This might be a couple days old, as he was going to tell me yesterday, but I was doing an onsite all day.

Is this some kind of a joke? Anyone else hear this?

gap

Shadesofgrey Guest

Re: Billion Dollar RAMS????

The Vikes just sold for 600 million...you'd have to think the Rams would go for more, but a billion seems a bit high...

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Nonetheless, I guess its safe to say that Georgia married well.

general counsel Guest

I dont believe it for a second. Team valuations are very tricky and they involve a good deal of real estate issues. Furthermore, kronke has a right of first refusal on georgias stock. I strongly, strongly doubt that the team will get sold to anyone other than a kroncke led group, unless of course Tx and Avenger team up their respective family trust assets to attempt a hostile takeover.

general counsel

tim Guest

Someone offered a billion for the Saints, which was reported a couple days ago. Maybe he heard that and thought they were talking about the Rams??

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I'd say a billion is about twice the value of the Rams. Plus, GC is right, if the name ain't Kroenke, they won't be the next owner.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tim
    Someone offered a billion for the Saints, which was reported a couple days ago. Maybe he heard that and thought they were talking about the Rams??
    I heard about that as well. Didn't that offer come from someone in L.A.?

general counsel Guest

Being in the transaction business, i am always highly, highly suspect of any reported "offer" especially when you are not dealing with a public company that is subject to various disclosure rules. If the vikings went for 600 million, a deal that is not yet closed by the way, i find it very hard to believe that someone is going to actually pay 40% more for the saints.

general counsel

AugustaRamFan Guest

They wouldn't pay 167% more either....

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Here is part of an article that addresses the New Orleans offer:

As the NFL team owners opened their two-day spring meeting at a downtown Washington hotel, New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson said yesterday he has been offered $1 billion for his franchise but isn't interested in selling the club at this point, although he might reconsider after this season.

Benson declined to say who made the offer or where the prospective purchaser wants the team to play. Benson's attorney was quoted recently as saying his client was interested in possibly moving the Saints to Los Angeles, San Antonio or Albuquerque, and had received several offers. The $1 billion offer would surpass the $800 million Daniel Snyder paid for the Washington Redskins in 1999 as the highest purchase price for an NFL team.

"I would consider everything" after the season, Benson said. "A lot of people have tried to contact us. We've got a written offer of $1 billion. But my goal is [to keep the team in New Orleans]. We need to work out a reasonable situation. . . . I'm not going to do anything until after the season."

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    I'd say a billion is about twice the value of the Rams. Plus, GC is right, if the name ain't Kroenke, they won't be the next owner.
    I'm not familiar with the Kroenke connection. Who are they?

On a side note, I watched "Chissum" (sp) with John Wayne the other day. Guess who did the score for the movie.

general counsel Guest

Stan Kroencke is the minority owner of the rams, i believe he owns 40%. He bought in when the team moved to st louis. I believe he is still the owner of the colorado avelanche and may own a part of the nuggets, but not sure about that. He made a lot of money in real estate and is married to one of sam waltons female relatives (i forget the exact connection, whether its a sister, daughter etc). Being married to a walmart heir gives him access to a bit of cash one might say.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

viper is offline Registered User

Thanks, GC. Just call me clueless. :bored: