Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Billy Devaney is PIZZED OFF!

These ridiculous comments:

ESPN football analyst Mark “Stink” Schlereth is usually spot on with his NFL analysis, and he’s a good dude, but he got it wrong Thursday on ESPN’s ”Mike & Mike” radio show, heard locally on WXOS, 101.1-FM. Schlereth wasn’t off base when he said the Rams were the worst team in the NFL and weren’t getting it done on either side of the ball. But then he added ”they’re not competing.” And said that the Rams organization was in “shambles.”

Led to this:

Schlereth’s comments infuriated Rams GM Billy Devaney. “I’ll be honest, I’ve got to take a deep breath, because that really pisses me off,” Devaney told 101 ESPN hosts Bryan Burwell and Pat Parris. “When he says something like we’re not competing, how the hell does he know? I guarantee you he hasn’t watched one of our games. You can say we had a stinker in Seattle and we made a ton of mistakes. And that’s fine. But to say we’re not competing is totally asinine.”

Later, Devaney added: “It frosts me. It just ticks me off a little bit. We’re fighting our guts out there. If you want to say we’re no good right now, I don’t have a problem with that. But don’t question our heart. Don’t question our competitivenes. I’ve been in places where after your team loses a game, and the players get on the plane to fly home, you can’t tell if they won or loss.” Devaney said that the Rams lost in Washington 9-7, Rams players were down in the locker room. He could see how much they hated losing. ”It was staggering,” Devaney said.

“Don’t say we’re in shambles,” Devaney said. “We’ve gone to great lengths to improve the attitude and bring in the right kind of players in here. To our players’ credit, they do have heart.”

“We’re 0-2,” Devaney added. “We’ve got to eat everything right now…all we can do is win some games and change people’s minds about us.”

Devaney said he planned to call Schlereth.

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

Re: Billy Devaney is PIZZED OFF!

I agree with Devaeny. We played our hearts out last week against WAS and lost due to a careless fumble by Avery in the red zone, IMO. This radio guy is insane if he thinks we're not out there competing. The score against seattle was inflated, we play a much better game than 28-0. The called back TD before half was a morale killer and the hawks took advantage of that with a TD. !st Q we outplayed them, they got lucky with a couple mistakes on our part. We are in rebuilding mode right now, we are not expected to be a winning team this year. Schlereth is just uneducated in my opinion.

shower beers is offline Registered User

That's awesome. It's about time they start taking some accountability for running off their mouths without any real facts to back it up. I also think that Marc hasn't watched a Rams game yet. Highlights don't count.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

That's the problem with the talking heads...

They either don't understand, or don't care about, the fact that they are talking about REAL people. If they did, they'd realize that they have a responsibility to actually do a little research before making broad, sweeping statements based upon superficial observations.

As Devaney said, the only fix for this problem is WINS!

ScottD413 Guest

I never liked Mike and Mike or Mark Schlereth. 3 loud mouthed know-it-alls. Greenberg especially. He's never played the game, yet he talks like he's some big time ex athlete.

AV, change your signature picture please. It makes me hungry every time I see it

general counsel is offline Registered User

Depends on how you define "in shambles" I think that to some extent 5-29 speaks for itself. To infer that we are not headed in the right direction may be unfair. However, are we really sure that the Rams have hit rock bottom? Isnt it a legitimate possibility that the situation gets worse (ie another 2-14 or 3-13 season) before it gets better? For that matter, if we cut bulger at the end of this year and go with a rookie qb, do people think we are all of a sudden going to improve, especially if its an uncapped year and other teams spend more than we do? I am not saying we are going to have a 2-14 year, but i am suggesting that its a distinct possibility, especially if we get a key injury or two (ie bulger and jackson). playing hard is great, i continue to contend that we lack the talent needed to win more than about 6 games at the most, and trust me, i would LOVE to be wrong on that point.

I dont think its fair to say that we are not competing when we lose 9-7 on the road. However, the situation is indeed a mess, which includes uncertain ownership status.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Anybody else see the Inside The NFL highlights from The Skins game? They cut from Zorn pumping up Campbell before the first snap to that admittedly fantastic grab Randle El made much later in the game as if it were the first play. Both teams got dissed; no clip of SJ's long run nor any of The Skins' good plays. I think stuff like that is where most of the media & NFL general fandom get their impression of The Rams and other teams that are struggling. No attempt at firsthand in-depth analysis.

It neither begins nor ends with us. The Whiners are now a hot story because of their 2-0 start, never mind the fact that they allowed AZ's Hightower to run all over them for over 100yds+ and Gore got stuffed all day. They beat a seriously injury-depleted Hags squad; no Mebane, no LB Hill, Hasselbeck out by halftime, and gained 2/3 of their rush yards on 2 long TD runs. But Singletary's a genius & The Whiners are a smashmouth juggernaut now.

Ditto on the flipside for The Patsies. Brady gets pounded all day by The Jets-welcome to MY world, sez marc Bulger- but it's all about "OMG, what's happened to The Pats? Not The Jets were almost certainly a playoff caliber team last year but for the injuries to Favre and others & winning their first home game shouldn't have been unexpected.

The preconceptions/bias blow with the winds of victory & defeat in both the local & national sports media & are not exactly rare on this board, either. As Spags and Devaney have repeatedly said, the only opinions that matter are in that locker room.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -09-24-2009 at 01:09 PM.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

This might be the best thing that can happen for the Rams right now. A silly comment that is blown out of perspective that can be a rallying cry to bind them together.

This comment would have been appropriate last year, not this year but I can partially understand his comment. They have cut good players that could be making a significant difference on this team. To say they aren't competing is wrong but they have intentionally lowered the talent on this squad to fix it's salary cap for 2010.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Point of this is simple - If Devaney, the freakin' GM, cares this much, I can assure you there is a locker room full of coaches and players that give a damn. I don't know if we could say this last year ...

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=RebelYell;305692]This might be the best thing that can happen for the Rams right now. A silly comment that is blown out of perspective that can be a rallying cry to bind them together.

Rebel, I agree with you. This is the type of comment that can be a strong motivator for our team. I agree with Billy D, the team seems to be playing hard and doing their best. My feeling is that we're in the process of "gelling" as a team on offense and we'll be a more competitive team as the season winds on. Will me make the playoff's, unlikely, but at least we'll be in the conversation, which we're not right now. Our defense is playing real well and will improve as they learn to play together. When you stop the other team as we did on Sunday, that is something to build on. We'll get there. Hey, we're 12-3 vs. the Packers over the recent past, maybe we'll use that as a starting point.

Go Rams!

TekeRam is offline Registered User

All I can say is, you'd never have seen Ziggy doing that. We absolutely found the right GM for the job in Devaney. I don't even know if it's the GM's position to fire back at a comment like that vs. the head coach, but you have to love the anger that Billy is showing over what was only a short, not even a minute coverage of us this morning. I saw it and was mad about it, but it wasn't even close to the crushing blow that Devaney has taken it. I like the guy even more now.

Rebel, you bring up a good point as well, and I hope that Spags plays the clip over and over again to the team until they dream about it. Hell, I hope the guys come out on Sunday having heard it so many time that they just want to tear a new one out the Pack.

Right now, might we be the worst team in football, sure, maybe. But I'd tell you that Clevland is certainly giving us a run for our money. They haven't even been close to winning this year. We held an ok Redskin team out of the endzone and were a stupid fumble away from very likely winning that game.

But yeah, we cut a bunch of players that are or would be starting this year in cap casualty situations, but they were players that no longer were playing up to their cap numbers. Could we use them, maybe. Out of the big three, Pace, Pisa, and Holt, Holt would be the only one I'd still want on the team. Pace and Pisa didn't have a spot on the team anymore. Pisa can't play the Sam and Pace needed to go because he was replaced by Smith. Holt we could use for his experience, but he's not the same player any more, and he's been aptly replaced by a "freebie" in Robinson.

Again, could we be the worst team, sure. But I'd put down a large sum of money that we'll make the playoffs before Spags leaves the team. You can see that we're getting better week to week. And more than that, you can see that our players are a better unit that last year's team and are a much more aggressive and determined group as well. They won't be denied! Just wait and see.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Dana WHite from the UFC should put Devaney vs. Schlerath on his next fight card

TCash42 Guest

Stupid remark by Schlereth. Watching the Redskins game they played with heart just barely got beat. But my guess was he was watching the Jets-Pats game since thats all ESPN wants to talk about anyway.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD413 View Post
    I never liked Mike and Mike or Mark Schlereth. 3 loud mouthed know-it-alls. Greenberg especially. He's never played the game, yet he talks like he's some big time ex athlete.

AV, change your signature picture please. It makes me hungry every time I see it

I haven't watched that Fng show in months. I can't stand Greenberg. I can't Schlereth. I like Golic but he's stuck with jag offs.

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

Let me tell you something- Devaney was a GREAT athlete in his day and as intense a person as you'll find anywhere. He's from Central New Jersey where I live and I've met him a couple of times. He is highly regarded around here as a nice guy, but he's also a fiery competitor who takes no crap from anybody. He is trying hard to assemble a team of a similarly competitive nature- guys who care deeply about winning and losing. Devaney is genuinely ticked off at this slight from Schlereth- as well he should be. I don't thing Schlereth set out to purposely insult the Rams, but his comment about their collective heart was careless and shows shoddy journalism.

Hopefully, the Rams will stick it up Schlereth's you-know-what on Sunday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast