Thread: Bipolar Giants

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Bipolar Giants

After checking some stats for the 2-1 Giants, I'm more confused than ever on what to think about them. On defense, they rank next to last in the NFL at 31st in total and 26th in points per game allowed. On offense they rank 19th in total offense, but get this, 1st in points per game (30.7) and 1st in touchdowns scored. On special teams they are the only team in the NFL with both a kickoff and punt return for touchdowns.

Is this a benchmark game for us that will really define how good we are? It will certainly put to the test questions about our offensive, defensive and special teams competency.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Bipolar Giants

I think we'll be okay against their defense, especially if Jackson's healthy. I'm not too worried about their offensive production, though Barber is the biggest test our run D will have faced so far. I'm actually worried most about special teams.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Remember Guys, The Games Against The Giants Are Always Tough Games, I Think You Can Put All Your Stats Aside, And I Hope I Am Wrong And The Rams Blow Them Out, But I Think They Will Play Better Than The 31st D In The League.

ramhard is offline Registered User

This is where Bruce will hurt

While Curtis is a capable fill in for Bruce, Bruce's lost will hurt as the Giants are thin at CB.. and with Bruce Curtis would be matching up (and overmatching) the third DB in an already thin defensive backfield. Looker is a good receiver but with Curtis against the 3rd DBs you would be looking at big and long plays. With Looker it is first downs. I think Bruce would be the difference between a 7-10 point game due to a couple of big plays and a 3-4 point game that I think it might become now.. with the Rams victorious of course!

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Do You Think Mcdonald Can Break Off A Few Big Plays With His Speed ?

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan
    But I Think They Will Play Better Than The 31st D In The League.
    I agree with this, but would still like to see our offense put up some big time points. I'm really interested to see if our defense can put the stops on the NFL's highest scoring offense and if our special teams can keep their return game in check. Accomplishing those things should say a lot about just how good we are.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Do You Think Mcdonald Can Break Off A Few Big Plays With His Speed ?
    Do you remember Seattle last year?:clanram:

I'm not the least worried about the WR matchup. Mc D is a very good receiver who would be starting on most teams. And looker is very tough, I like seeing him go over the middle.

I'm more concerned with the O line.
    Hopefully Barron will not be the revolving door part 2 this week.
    If Martz plays it smart, , he should pound the ball early; set up play action. I got a feeling the giants will be blitzing often like they have in the past. As long as they don't shoot themselves in the foot: (ie turnovers, stupid penalties)
    the RAMS should put up 30+ points, IMO.

Your right about Tiki Barber. He will be the first real test for the D. I really think the front seven will be able to slow down the giants run game. As for ElieMay; I think the front four can get some good pressure on him.

I think it will come down to weather the RAMS O can score often and not put the D in the hole. :clanram:
    Last edited by RAMMAN68; -09-30-2005 at 08:19 PM. Reason: I"M NOT FINISHED!
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Aries51 is offline Registered User

My main concern for this game is Bulger.I'm not worried about his play,but I'm a little nervous about his health.I'm hoping the OL steps up and he doesnt take too many shots.I feel pretty good about the D and since Barber has a tendency to fumble I'm hoping our defense can create a few opportunities.
    ST.LOUIS RAMS:THE MOST FRUSTRATING TEAM IN THE NFL!!!

BlueHeart is offline Registered User

It's all that damn Tomlinson's fault. Before that we were pretty well ranked, especially defensively.

*******. (Can I say that here?)

Guess not. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by BlueHeart
    It's all that damn Tomlinson's fault. Before that we were pretty well ranked, especially defensively.

*******. (Can I say that here?)

I guess we'll see on Sunday if it was Tomlinson or your defense to blame.

Yes... yes, we will.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

OK, let's analyze this.
    Offense
    1. Bruce will most likely be sitting this one out. This leaves us Torry Holt, Curtis, and McDonald, as well as Looker. I bet Farve would give his left 'nad' to have a recieving corps like this in his camp. We will be doing without the best route runner in the NFL, but we still have more potent recievers than anyone can hope to cover, especially NY. With the yardage they give up because of thier weak secondary, 300+ yards are almost a given.
    2. Steven Jackson will probably be in there. He's bruised, not broken. Even if he is only 80%, I'd be willing to bet he will be punching thru holes this weekend. Easy 80 yards on the ground for him. Oh, and that other RB we have? Faulk? Well, surprise, surprise (sorry, Gomer!). The 'old' man can still dance, pivot, and run the ball like he used to. Not as often, but after seeing what he did to the tits D, I think he is just a little underestimated this year. If either of them can get 6 yards past the line, NY will have to try to catch them, and won't be too successful.
    3. Pace has been a little less effective this year than I would like. Still, he gets the job done. On the other side, we have a rookie going up against Strahan. Strahan is among the best in the league. BUT...our rookie is a mountain. He didn't look to have a problem in the tits game. He handled his job well. Once or twice, Strahan may be able to fool him, but it won't be too much for Barron. I know Pace helped school him, but did Jackie Slater tutor him as well? The kid seems to be light-years ahead of where he was in college...enough to relieve my worries.
    4. Manu is injured, but will probably play. If not, we have Williams. Neither is a big playmaker, but in a pinch, yet another place to go to for the TD.
    5. Bulger is banged up. Until he is hooked up to life support, the kid will still be throwing the ball. I don't know how he got so tough, but he is like the energizer bunny...keeps going, and going...I don't know about you, but even when he is down, this guy is still a better QB than most are when they are healthy. As long as Barron does a good job tomorrow, we will be OK here.

Defense
    1. Arch...you surprised me this year. I was expecting a 'weenie year' after last year's back problem. Instead, Arch is playing like it's 2003. He's fast, reads the O well, and comes thru when you need it. Nice to have him back.
    2. Our linebackers...hope you don't run into these guys in a dark alley. Need I say more?
    3. DeJuan Groce...a little recognized name who is going at it like it was the last game he'll ever play...every game. We can count on him to be in the mix whenever we need him.
    4. Our D has in reality, won two games for us so far. Someone has been slipping raw meat into thier diet, itching powder into thier jock straps, and insulting thier mothers. This game will be another test for them. I know somehow, someone will slip past them, but they will be more effective than last week. They just seem to be doing that.

Special Teams
    1. Someone pried thier tongues from the windows, and traded in the short bus. Seriously, they are not a scary bunch, but at least they are average this year. This is where NY has a big advantage on us. Our offense and defense will have to make up for the ineffectiveness of ST. If these guys don't hold NY inside thier 30, or get us out to the 25, we may have some problems. Somehow, I expect to see another average day out of these guys. Hopefully, average means not giving up a big play.

Overall, I see a slight advantage here for the Rams. It all depends on a few things: Special Teams not screwing up, Barron doing his job, and our secondary not giving Eli anything to aim for. I think Barron will be OK, our secondary will do well, but the ST thing has me in a fit...but I think we will prevail.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Here's a link to the rundown on what we are facing:

http://nfl.com/matchups/last5/STL-OVERALL-matchup

I think we will be OK.